Benefits of a cat

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
smogie_michele

Re: Benefits of a cat

Post by smogie_michele »

As I am reading through this, I am nodding "yes" to all of it; I love my cats and feel that my life is better for them... and then I look up to see that my boy is INSIDE MY CHRISTMAS TREE knocking down ALL of the glitter ornaments.

Pets in general are wonderful for anxiety. I actually have a therapist who recommended that we look into adopting a cat when I was really unwell.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Introduce that doc to the tree climber. :lol: There is an indescribable "huh!" :surprisedwitch: when you see a pair of eyes looking out at you from inside the Christmas tree...and it rains ornaments. Yep. Yes sir. I'm afraid you've got cats in the wood work.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

greyviolet wrote:I've had cats my entire life, I can't imagine *not* having one. At the moment we have 3 cats, all girls. They enjoy reminding us on a nightly basis that they're nocturnal creatures, and also that they're starving to death. But during the day they're so soothing and adorable. They don't enjoy the aromas of spell casting though. My previous cat is my avatar picture--I've loved all the cats I've ever had but she will always be my #1 girl. For a while she woke me up every single night at exactly 3:22am. I've always wondered what was up with that.
She looks a lot like my Gyspy. I think there's a change in the vibrational signature of the Earth around 3:00 - 3:30 in the morning. That's when people with dementia tend to get really wound up.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

SpiritTalker wrote:Introduce that doc to the tree climber. :lol: There is an indescribable "huh!" :surprisedwitch: when you see a pair of eyes looking out at you from inside the Christmas tree...and it rains ornaments. Yep. Yes sir. I'm afraid you've got cats in the wood work.
Mom always said "God makes the bad ones cute so you don't kill them."

After living with this cat, I am beginning to think there is some truth to that. He is cute all hell, but gives me a run for my money daily.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I don't put up a tree anymore. Don't have the ambition or energy. I remember in years past though, seeing multiple faces peeking out through the branches.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

When Phantom Solo was a kitten his first Yule tree was a disaster. I heard this terrible yelp/meow in the middle of the night and came running out to the living room to find him tangled in the string of lights and hanging by one leg. He never went in the tree again. We also got smaller trees that could be put on a riser. All the cats were well behaved and stayed off the furniture (with the exception of the couches and beds).
We only have one cat now...Pumpkin...she could care less about most everything....save for the 3am starving to death meow.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Murko threw down the Christmas tree one or twice. But since then, our dog Biba began to guard it! No one has taught her to do it, she just spent whole Holidays under the tree and went after Murko as soon as he approached it closer then 2 metres :) Sometimes her barking wakes us at night but we can then sleep peacefully knowing the tree is safe :D

Oh and did I mention that Murko jumped on our expensive printer and it fell down from the table and was so destroyed we had to buy a new one?

But it doesn't matter because the amount of love and gentleness he gives us is priceless.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I gave my cats dried anchovies for a treat, and put the rest in the cupboard. I ran some errands and when I returned the cupboard was bare and the little varmints had run off with the goods-the anchovies. I was finding fish heads (which they don't eat) for days. So they taught me not to bring home fish treats, and thus saved me money. Yet another benefit was the life-broadening experience of waking and trying to focus on a dead fish head (which a generous cat had left on my pillow) staring back at me. The joys of these kindly feline gestures of affection must be savored briefly before screaming and bolting out of bed.I try not to think of it as a sadistic form of cat humor. :roll:
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

For all cat lovers around here, it has officially been proven, that cats have a region in their brain, same as humans and dogs do, which is responsible for emotions. They also proved that cats have feelings for their owners, but each and every cat expresses them differently.
I guess I was right thinking that my cat didn't just want to see my chin scratched and chewed. Poor girl is trying to give kisses, but the sharp teeth are getting in her way.
SpiritTalker wrote:The joys of these kindly feline gestures of affection must be savored briefly before screaming and bolting out of bed.I try not to think of it as a sadistic form of cat humor. :roll:
Yours myst be a real gentleman, offering you such delightful gifts and even making the effort of putting them on the pillow! Lol

I need a few more lifes to fully understand the cat's behaviour :roll:
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've just untangled my cat from the curtains. She likes to sit in the front window and observe the outside world, soak up some sun, all that good cat-stuff. For some weird reason she became enfolded, claws out, and completely up side down, suspended in the folds of fabric and unable to loose herself. Cats! Go figure.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I somehow missed the anchovies story until now. I found a dead mouse in the hall once. Grimm is the only one who hunts, so I know it was him. A couple of weeks later, I was at my daughter's house, and her elderly cat brought me a dead mouse. In the trap. I think his hunting skills were waning, so he did what he could.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I have a housecat, even though we also have backyard. She is a poor hunter, so she waits for birds and mice to just die ( a neighbour is poisoning the mice) or bring dry leaves. She never eats those, but brings them in the house and if nobody thanks her for the effort, she redecorates the room with mouse parts, dry leave dust, or feathers. Too bad she is the only one who wants to redecorate
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Lol such funny stories, y'all :-) I once saw Murko with feathers sticking out of his mouth. He was still only a kitten :-)
Second time it was much worse because we've found a piece of snake tail in the bedroom!
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I'll just add that: http://m.ranker.com/list/health-benefit ... ntent=9vRv

I see this also became a place for people to post funny cat stories. For the record, I totally love it.
I'm looking forward to reading more funny stories! =3
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Years ago one my cats had kittens. A coworker took three of them. The boy was a long haired gray that they named Hoss. The coworker's husband had an aquarium, in which, resided a rubber eel. Hoss, with his roar month old hunting skills, caught and killed the rubber eel. My coworker learned of the hunt when the eel was placed in her lap. She wasn't happy.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Animals and Pets”