Including pets/familiars in rituals

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
silvergrey

Including pets/familiars in rituals

Post by silvergrey »

Merry Meet everyone!

I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum :)
I was wondering if any of you include your pets or familiars into your rituals?
I've had rabbits since growing up and since I started practising witchcraft, it seemed logical to give them the role of "easter bunny" on Ostara and make an offering of fresh greens or fruit to them directly after my rites. They never seemed to mind being presented with an extra slice of apple or dandelion, but I think I could really take it a step further with my current bunny.
He's the most curious little soul I've ever seen and inserts himself into every ritual I ever do. He mostly wants to drink from the cup of water I use to represent the element on the circle, but he also enjoys licking my amethist (why???), chewing on the pages of my BoS and sitting in my lap or by my side while I do my rituals. I decided to make an offering to him at every ritual (he eats my offerings to any assisting deities/spirits anyway) but I wonder if I can include him more since he seems to enjoy being a part of it? I was thinking of including him in my meditations, does anyone have any experience meditating with pets, or otherwise including them in your craft?

PS: I've attached a picture of him, in case anybody's interested :)
Attachments
boefie.png
boefie.png (115.35 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Including pets/familiars in rituals

Post by Firebird »

Wow, he looks really passed out.
Sounds like you are already working with him in a good way. I like including him with the offerings. As far as the amethyst, I wonder if he can pick up a trace element from that, like a salt lick?
Seems if an animal is interested in magic they will show up when your doing it :D .
(Oh and I'll slip this over to the animal forum)
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

Animals are much more in tune to the vibrations and energies of their surroundings. It sounds like you present a nice little bubble during your ritual practice. He may just like the feel of the amethyst. I had a cat that would lick a window pane. Keep him involved.
silvergrey

Post by silvergrey »

Thank you both for the input!
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

My cat always hangs around when I'm performing ritual. Sometimes when I'm clearing the space for ritual, she will walk around my feet, moving her bushy tail back and forth as if she is sweeping the air.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
EmberWolf

Post by EmberWolf »

My familiar is a German Shepherd / Wolf mix, and any time I'm doing any sort of ritual or magic in general it seems like she always wants to be by my side, and just watch. I think it helps, not only that she's there adding her energy to mine, but also just to have a friend there with me :)
I strove with none, for none was worth my strife.
Nature I loved and, next to Nature, Art:
I warm'd both hands before the fire of life;
It sinks, and I am ready to depart.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My cat Mr Piss Whiskers can be snoring on top of the fridge, but let me start to meditate anywhere in the house and within two minutes I'll hear the thud of his landing and he comes to sit on my lap. He doesn't do things subtly. When he arrives, there is a song and dance with much head butting under my chin in case I failed to notice him, and cussing me for starting without him. My other cats couldn't care less.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Mr. Piss Whiskers... I love that name.
My fur kids will follow me around and watch when I am doing any sort of metaphysical work- except for one. My cat, Pip, is attacking my hands, stealing my tools, meowing to be picked up...

He really is a jerk, but he is cute.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

@ Smogie...Mr P Whiskers has a shoe fetish. He steals my shoes and hides them unless I hang them on a hook. And he has a special love affair going on with my wand, but can always be destracted with a box to sit in. I keep a ready supply. Hmm. Maybe he's trained me to bring him boxes. One of my other cats, who just this moment is burrowing inside a pillow case for a serious nap, feels it is her duty to sit on the daily mail. No envelope escapes her blessing. But she doesn't meditate, contemplate or resonate. Just sits. :lol:

@ Emberwolf...shepherd/wolf mix? How big is this pup at the shoulder?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I had a ferret for awhile who would steal all manner if small items and hide tbem under the couch. He would run around upside down under the couch too, using the liner under the couch to grab so he could do this weird behavior. It was like he was excited to have stole something :shock:
The little guy would always show up for magic of any kind,...circles, readings, brew making or incense mixing. He wasn't terribly active in the work however, but would stick his head in any pair of avaliable boots or shoes and fall alseep with his back half hanging out, it was quite a sight.
I considered him my familar because he was always there.
:fairy:
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

firebirdflys wrote:I had a ferret for awhile who would steal all manner if small items and hide tbem under the couch. He would run around upside down under the couch too, using the liner under the couch to grab so he could do this weird behavior. It was like he was excited to have stole something :shock:
The little guy would always show up for magic of any kind,...circles, readings, brew making or incense mixing. He wasn't terribly active in the work however, but would stick his head in any pair of avaliable boots or shoes and fall alseep with his back half hanging out, it was quite a sight.
I considered him my familar because he was always there.
:fairy:
Maybe he makes his own altar and does his own rituals? *shrug*.
Or, maybe he's a little furry Smaug and is building up his treasure hoard.
Either way, sounds like he's pretty adorable.

Sometimes when I sit down to meditate for the night, my cat will walk into the room--no matter where she was in the apartment to begin with-- trot circles around me and sit on my knee and just meow for a minute, then walk off...
I have no idea what to make of it. Maybe she's annoyed that I'm not paying attention to her?
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Deerstep wrote:Or, maybe he's a little furry Smaug and is building up his treasure hoard.
ha ha ha it was like that :lol:
He was adorable, but hard to keep track of sometimes :annoyed: we eventually put a bell on his harness.
Sounds like the cat has found her place with you, seems like she's casting circle for you!
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Animals and Pets”