Petition - Animal Cruelty

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
smogie_michele

Re: Petition - Animal Cruelty

Post by smogie_michele »

Starwitch wrote:And let me say another thing. There are these idiots out there who ask the question, "How is tail docking and ear cropping any worse than the invasive spay/neuter surgeries most dogs undergo?" Seriously? You're not even kidding, right? Okay, here's the answer to that.

1. Dogs are given proper pain relief (typically general anesthesia) during a spay/neuter.
2. Pet overpopulation is a very real problem and this is the best way to address it at this time.

What a stupid question. I didn't spay my girls, but that's because I keep them very close and they are protected from the outside world (our boy is neutered). If you have the ability to prevent unwanted pregnancies, you don't have to spay/neuter. You're given no such choice with tail docking, since that's done when the puppy is 3-5 days old, long before you purchase or adopt your dog.
To piggy back off what Star said, if my girls were spay earlier on, my Lab would have never contracted her uterine infection that almost killed her and my Aussie would have never contracted her cancer. Cropping and docking are purely a fashion statement. A spay/neuter improves the quality of life. Big, big difference.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
evil ed

Post by evil ed »

smogie_michele wrote: Cropping and docking are purely a fashion statement.
When I was younger, there was a neighbor who had a shepherd/Doberman cross. This poor fellow had his tail cropped because they thought he looked like a dobie. He grew up to look like a beautiful German Shepherd EXCEPT for the tail...
Thirty years ago I had a Springer/Brittany spaniel mix named Bogart. His tail was docked long before we got him. He always had a ridiculus cowlick at the end of his tail.

Petition signed.
E.E
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Thanks everyone, for signing the petition. I'm glad so many people support a ban on tail docking and ear cropping.

Thanks for the extra info about spays, Smogie_Michele. :)

Return to “Animals and Pets”