Connection to bats?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Mythologized

Connection to bats?

Post by Mythologized »

Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas why I would constantly feel their presence? Even since a young child?
It's not common to see them in they city where I live, but I spot them all the time (no matter where I'm living specifically). I used to think I was just odd, but neighbors and friends/family see them outside wherever I'm at too.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Connection to bats?

Post by SnowCat »

What little bit I could find, links bats to the Mayan god Camazotz. You might try researching bat as a totem.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It is possible that you can hear their sonar click so you know where to look. They adapt to city living very well and prefer snug, dry locations to hang out. They also like trees, and fruit trees especially, because that is where bugs like to be. Bon apatite.
Jaxie

Post by Jaxie »

I absolutely adore bats! But can't say I have any special attachment to them. They're the only flying mammal and I just think that makes them so fascinating.

If you're dead serious about making bats your familiar/totem/etc. I would recommend investigating how to help them out and what you can do to prevent WNS (White Nose Syndrome) in your local bat population (although it sounds like you're in an urban area and not a spulunker).

If you can swing it- I would recommend building a bat house (or nursery) or planting bat friendly fauna (even container gardening if you're in an urban setting). Also finding a seminar in your area and becoming a Bat Ambassador would be awesome.

Some resources you may find interesting are:
  • Organization for Bat Conservation (MI based)
  • Bat Conservation International (TX based)
NOTE: Don't feel pressured to dish out any cash to help bats- there are plenty of ways of helping without direct donations.

You should also take a look at your own state (if you're in the US) to see if there is a local organization in operation.

I'm just starting to get involved with bats again since my childhood and I'd be happy to chat on the subject. I'm hoping to get my own bat house up this Spring. Hopefully before the end of April. Feel free to keep the convo going or reach out by P.M.

I wish you the best in your batty endeavors :)
"I watch the ripples change their size,
But never leave the stream." - Bowie

>>> #Savethebats <<<
Jaxie

Post by Jaxie »

I did a quick google search and it looks like bats are strongly linked with Death and therefore Rebirth. They're symbolic of navigating through "Dark Times" and coming out renewed. Also, it would appear that they seem to be linked with separation of body and soul. This is a transformation symbol to be sure.

I attached a pic of the Mayan Death God Camazotz that SnowCat mentioned just for fun. Bats seemed to have been a symbol of Death and Rebirth to the Maya but also Messengers from the Underworld (Xibalba). i.e. they could cross over rather easily and bring with them physical matter (won't go into the gory details there). :flyingwitch:
Attachments
Camazotz
Camazotz

>>> #Savethebats <<<
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Oh, I love the bat house, Jaxie! Will have to build it.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Bats are excellent pollinators, and they also help to control the mosquito population. We went to a program at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, a while back, that was put on by Organization for Bat Conservation. We had the opportunity to see live bats up close.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Bats are symbols of death and the underworld. They're usually messengers of the death gods.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Jaxie

@moonraingirl

Post by Jaxie »

moonraingirl wrote:Oh, I love the bat house, Jaxie! Will have to build it.
You'll have to post a pic when you make it! I plan on starting a thread once I get one up- but feel free to beat me to the punch! The more bat houses the better I say!

>>> #Savethebats <<<
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

I have bat wings on my altar that were a gift to me for many reasons including the ability to sense in the darkness.

And my friend locally here in town makes bat houses and sells them as one of his craft businesses. They love our area due to our woods and insect population and interestingly, congregate in our sea caves.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Jaxie wrote:
moonraingirl wrote:Oh, I love the bat house, Jaxie! Will have to build it.
You'll have to post a pic when you make it! I plan on starting a thread once I get one up- but feel free to beat me to the punch! The more bat houses the better I say!
Sure! I remember when I was little there were bats in the neighbouring block of flats (or was it only my friend's fantasy? We were 6-7 at the time) but I haven't seen them since then. :-( I want to build the house in the garden area where are quite a lot of various animals, from birds, deers, boars to salamander and snakes. So let's hope that bats are here, too.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

OK, I'm at the garden now and I've found some old planks from wardrobe to build the house. I was thinking about best location and it seems the best would be Southern side of the cottage, from the other side where we don't go often. They have free space for flight there as well. But the problem is that there is a satellite. I guess it could disturb them? Does anyone know if they would mind it a lot?

Other option is on the balcony on the 10th floor at home. Plenty of space there, south-east. It's a relatively quiet area, no busy city life.
Jaxie

Post by Jaxie »

moonraingirl wrote:OK, I'm at the garden now and I've found some old planks from wardrobe to build the house. I was thinking about best location and it seems the best would be Southern side of the cottage, from the other side where we don't go often. They have free space for flight there as well. But the problem is that there is a satellite. I guess it could disturb them? Does anyone know if they would mind it a lot?

Other option is on the balcony on the 10th floor at home. Plenty of space there, south-east. It's a relatively quiet area, no busy city life.
I think either spot should be fine. They say you want the bat house facing the south because they like it warm and you want to have direct sunlight to keep the internal temp. up. You've probably already checked this out- but here is some info about mounting your bat house. I think bats are pretty adaptive as far as the satellite goes- but I may be wrong. I've never read anything either way- but my research thus far has been fairly limited. I think so long as you can mount it high enough on the cottage wall- with easy access to the entry from the bottom- they should be fine.

>>> #Savethebats <<<
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Sooo balcony is already occupied by the same couple of "little hawks" that were here last year and had 6 babies! They nested in an old tomato pot. Today I heard a familiar singing and saw both male and female in the pot again. One of them had a prey in its beak (I couldn't see clearly what it was) and now they went hunting again. Well, I guess that the bats wouldn't like to live near them :)

I found a website of local bat rescue organisation and I described the place in the garden where I want to place the house. I asked them to tell me if it's OK and I also mentioned the satellite. I hope they'll help me choose the right spot for species that live in this area.
Jaxie

Post by Jaxie »

moonraingirl wrote:Sooo balcony is already occupied by the same couple of "little hawks" that were here last year and had 6 babies! They nested in an old tomato pot. Today I heard a familiar singing and saw both male and female in the pot again. One of them had a prey in its beak (I couldn't see clearly what it was) and now they went hunting again. Well, I guess that the bats wouldn't like to live near them :)

I found a website of local bat rescue organisation and I described the place in the garden where I want to place the house. I asked them to tell me if it's OK and I also mentioned the satellite. I hope they'll help me choose the right spot for species that live in this area.
Wow! Congrats on the hawk family! Very neat! Sounds like you've asked the right people. Keep us posted. I'm hoping to be able to get something together this weekend. I'll be sure to share if I do.

>>> #Savethebats <<<

Return to “Animals and Pets”