How to Train My Dog Correctly?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Deku
Banned Member

How to Train My Dog Correctly?

Post by Deku »

So, I'll tell you my story. I have a dog. She is very childish, stubborn and not very smart. She eats the most dirty things, even meat and fish that hasn't been cooked :( . I was so shocked the first time I see it. She digs up the soil in my garden pots (actually I love trees and plants than animals). She spoils the crops my mother grows. She eats anything possible (even poo, her poo too -_-). When she gets too crazy, I have to beat her to calm her rage :( I don't want to but I think I bring her no harm (I do not make her bleeding or else, beating her as lightly as possible). Have you ever beat your pets, even only once in your life? Some people say I'm cruel, an animal abuser, stupid :( , they say they've never beat their pets. I have a dog and two cats (I've never beaten those two). I love them and we live happily together. Am I?
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Re: How to Train My Dog Correctly?

Post by Starwitch »

Ok, so I've moved this thread back out there so we can help this person learn how to discipline his dog in a more appropriate way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beating" "as lightly as possible". The word "beating" in English means punching hard with your closed fist or using some sort of instrument to beat the dog harshly. There's no way to "beat" something "as lightly as possible". Maybe you're smacking the dog with your open palm? That's the only light way I can think of to hit something. Dog experts recommend not hitting your dog. They say it will make the dog become afraid of you and not trust you. Some people learn dog training from Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer. He teaches you how to train dogs. There are a lot of YouTube videos you can watch where he shares his techniques. Hopefully they are available in your country.

As for eating poop and raw meat, yes dogs often do that. It's not really understood why they eat poop. Obviously you don't want your dog to eat poop, so try to watch him carefully when he's outside. Keep his poops cleaned up so he's not eating the old ones. Dogs like to eat cat poop too because the cheap food most of us feed our cats doesn't get absorbed that well, so the cat poops most of the nutrients out, which seems like a tasty snack to your dog. It may be the same with the dog food actually. You can Google "my dog eats his poop" to see what kind of solutions people may have. I've Googled it before when one of our dogs was eating poop. Luckily, our dog stopped eating it so we never really had to deal with the issue. Hopefully it's just a phase that your dog will grow out of.

Dogs will eat raw meat. It's really not a big deal, at least in my opinion, but I understand that many people get upset about it. I mean, you don't want him to eat meat that's rotten and covered in maggots, but if it's fairly fresh, it's probably okay. Their digestive systems are more equipped to handle raw meat than ours are. Some (rich) people even feed their dog ONLY raw meat because they believe it's better for the dog. The main problem is that if your dog is eating critters (mice, birds, etc.) that died around the house, those critters may have died from being poisoned and you don't want your dog consuming any poison or even catching rabies from a rat or mouse or mole. So yeah, there are dangers there, but it's very natural for your dog to want to eat any meat they find. Just try to take it away from him. I don't think you can really beat their natural tendencies out of them. We deal with dead critters all the time at my house. The cat brings them home and then the dog grabs it and tries to eat it.

Here is a YouTube search for "dog whisperer". Maybe some of the videos will be available in your country. This guy has lots of good tips for dog training. Some people think he's mean and they only use clicker/treat training, but I personally don't see a problem with treating your dog the same way your dog treats another dog. It's a language they understand.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... l+episodes

As for whether I've beat my dogs, no, I haven't. But I've smacked them on the rear once or twice when they were fighting with each other. There are people who do beat their dogs, and yes, those people are generally considered abusive by the majority of the general public. If any animal lovers read your post they'll be very angry about it. I changed the subject line of your post to something different since it sounds like you may just need some advice on handling your misbehaved dog.
Aesennyll-IF
Tarot Reader
Tarot Reader

Post by Aesennyll-IF »

All hitting your dog will do is cause her to fear you.
I recommend a dog trainer, if you can't afford that get a book on training your dog at the library.
She may seem not that bright because you are hitting her.
unity :inlove: in like mind
jealousy, and bitterness erode the soul. conversation to clarify.
Forgiveness frees the heart.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I have this friend who instead of hitting his dog with his arm, used to hit him with a newspaper so he doesn't hurt his pet. One day he came home from work and found all the newspapers in his house ripped in small pieces and the dog twirling around happy he destroyed the enemy. Think about what would your dog do to your arm if she could.
I may be overreacting here, but hitting an animal seems to me like hitting a child - it may work to make the animal do what you want, but it won't forget and will fear you after.
Getting a book on dog training and watching the Dog Whisperer is definitely a good starting point.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Hitting an animal doesn't teach it what it has done wrong. It will still do the naughty thing it was doing before, only when you're not around.(which is why some people come home from work to find their houses trashed). Hitting your dog/pet will only teach it that you are unpredictable and hurtful. Start by teaching your pet how to sit/stay.
The important thing is to stay calm, animals can tell if we're anxious. If you're getting frustrated that the dog won't sit after you've practiced for twenty minutes the dog will give up and it wont work. You don't even need to reward with treats, reward with love. If the dog sees that it makes you happy to sit like a good girl/boy they will want to do it.

Dogs are so easy going.
If I can teach my cat to fetch and sit, you can surely teach your dog.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

Like everyone has said so far, beating or hitting animals will get you no where.

You may have to get a little creative and spend some quality time with her. The only way she'll get better is by working with her and teaching her what's appropriate and what isn't. It takes a lot of time and patience, but in the end your family will be happier and she will be too.

Is she a puppy or an adult?

Does your pet have any dog toys? Chewies or bones to chew on? If she's a puppy she may be teething or she may be really bored. They are going to chew something but by having her own toys will help keep her from chewing things you don't want her to.

Also, have you thought of a taste deterrent? Spraying this onto her poos and areas you don't want her to eat/chew on will help. This stuff is nasty.

Pretty much, how to use this particular product I suggested is:
A large dog: Go ahead and spray it into their mouth, Small dog: spray it onto your finger and rub your finger on her tongue. They wont like it all.

Then go ahead and spray things around your house or outside with the product. When they go to chew on whatever you sprayed the next time, they usually will stop because it tastes nasty too. The goal is to get them to associate the yucky taste with whatever you don't want them to chew on.

This is what my vet told me to do when my puppy was teething and she occasionally went after her own number 2.

How much do you play with her? She sounds like she's really active. Go out and play fetch with her or take her for walks/runs. This will help tire her out and provide an outlet for all that energy she has and help make her less destructive.
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

Well English is not my native language so I may unintentionally make you misunderstand. I mean like "don't go there" and pull her away from me >that is what I mean beating lightly<
about your advices, I appreciate it but feel like it brings me nothing new. I've told that I have two cats. I love them so much and I'm successful in training them, that is what I do to my dog. I make my best efforts to bring her up. What I expect to know in this topic is that kind of pull is considered abuse or not
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

oh and the way you edit the topic make me like a fool -_- it says: I'm beating my dog, please teach me to stop. Read the topic thoroughly and you'll figure out what I'm saying
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Dogs usually like to please their people. If the training is enjoyable for the dog, it will most likely be easier. Medication can help with coprophagia. The best remedy though, is to keep everything cleaned up. If the dog is bored or lonely, it may act out more. Some breeds are needier. The dog might also be afraid of the cats. My dogs were afraid of my cats. My cats were afraid of my daughter's chinchillas. The chinchillas weren't afraid of anything.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

So now simply pulling your dog away is what you call "beating lightly"? I'm thinking you need to find a dog forum in your own language and discuss this subject there. We obviously cannot understand you properly.

As you know, this thread was originally removed because you made it sound like you're beating your dog. Even when you attempted to clarify your point it still sounded weird. I don't think even a non-English speaker would confuse a simple word like "beat" with pulling your dog away. And no one believes that your sister would call you abusive if that's all you were doing. And now, even though I explained to you what "beating" means, you still want to leave the word "beating" in the subject line. I have to tell you, you're treading on thin ice with the moderators of this board. Your personality isn't exactly conducive to friendly conversations with you.
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

not my sisters. They know what I'm talking about. Just because there are people who I have explained the same things still call me abusive. I wonder if everyone is like that or not (it's a bunch of Americans that have the same opinion and keep insulting me so I write this to this forum to see your opinion but you misunderstood too)
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

If you want us to understand how you aren't beating your dog, just take a video of you "pulling him away" and show it to us. And stop using the word "beating" to describe what you're doing. I don't think it takes a genius to understand what a beating is. And no one would think you're being abusive if you are actually pulling the dog away from bad stuff. Everyone has to do that with their dog. The way you've described all of this is rather confusing. The comment you made about the subject line making you look like a fool is probably the most confusing part for me. But I don't think trying to get clarification will help any, and I'm sure I'll end up even more confused by your answer.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

You almost come across as a troll - like you're being intentionally confrontational and confusing.
Deku
Banned Member

Post by Deku »

no. I thought that the thread's been deleted and now you bring it again, and lots of members come to judge me, like I tend to post this to be taught those things
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I have a hard time believing that you originally meant "gently pulling my dog away from bad stuff" in your original post. It wouldn't make sense for you to say stuff like, "I pull my dog away from bad stuff lightly, without making her bleed. Have you ever pulled your pets away from bad stuff, even once in your life? Other people say they've never pulled their pet away from bad stuff." I really don't believe you would get defensive if "gently pulling my dog away from bad stuff" is really all that you are doing. If multiple people have seen and commented on your behavior as abusive, then it probably is abusive.

It's impressive to me that you're not interested in other, gentler ways of disciplining your dog than through physical violence. Naturally, you take other people's helpful suggestions for non-violent means of disciplining your dog as making YOU look like the fool. All you're really looking for is justification to continue to do what you're doing (which is why I pulled your thread initially), which is more likely than not abuse, and the overwhelming consensus here is: No, beating your dog is abusive and not acceptable. And not all the commenters here are American (hello, Elcida!), so that's not going to work, either.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Animals and Pets”