Bluejays and Mockingbirds--symbolism?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
seidkonacat

Bluejays and Mockingbirds--symbolism?

Post by seidkonacat »

Recently in dreams, during meditation, and during uti-seta (a Norse practice, basically a kind of spirit journey while meditating outside in the wilderness) I've been seeing two particular birds over and over again--mockingbirds and blue-jays. In one dream a blue jay the size of a hawk sat on my shoulder. In an uti-seta vision, I walked through a forest and copied the mockingbirds' songs. My other experiences have been similar; sighting and interaction but no verbal communication.

I've never had much of a connection with any bird spirits before so I have set out to do some research.

The two look a little bit alike, with their vivid white wing markings. They are of a similar size. The mockingbird is slate grey, brown, and bright white, while the blue-jay is vivid blue, deep black, and crisp white. They are both considered to be trickster animals; the mockingbird because of its penchant for mimicry and the blue-jay for it's mask-like markings (I have learned however, that the blue-jay is a pretty adroit mimicker of other birds itself). Blue-jays are corvids--related to crows.

The information I am finding is pretty limited though. Does anyone have any information about any folkloric or magical aspects of these birds? It would be really helpful. Thanks!
seidkonacat

Re: Bluejays and Mockingbirds--symbolism?

Post by seidkonacat »

I have recently found out that both blue jays and mockingbirds are extremely aggressive. They even sometimes attack one another in dispute of territory. I'm really not sure what this means.

Return to “Animals and Pets”