Power animals

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Tylluan

Power animals

Post by Tylluan »

I believe in the shamanistic view that we all have power animals. Power animals are animals that appeal to us directly and depending on the type of animal depends on the view of the world we get from it.

Power animals can come to us at any time and not just in the flesh. They can often bring the key to a behaviour or situation we are struggling with and help guide us. Power animals can change over the years though you may always feel an affinity to a particular animal.

For me its the owl. I asked in my minds eye to show me my power animal. I dreamt that same night of an amazing Eagle Owl who swooped straight in front of me. Its eyes were glowing orange and I felt awe and respect not fear from it. It looked just like this one Image

The image was very powerful and I really felt it left its imprint on me. It was more than a dream, though I was asleep, I felt its wing tips on my face as it flew passed. Since then I've researched the meaning of Owls.

An Owl's medicine includes wisdom, stealth, secrecy, silent and swift movement, seeing behind masks, seeing what truly lies below the surface, keen sight, messenger of secrets and omens, shape-shifting. the link between the dark, unseen world and the world of light. Comfort with shadow self, moon magick, freedom, deception, clairvoyance, insight, vision, omens, Owl symbolises the feminine, the moon and the night

Owl symbolises the feminine, the moon and the night. They are the bird of magic and darkness, of prophecy and wisdom. The owl is linked to Athena. The owl is also referred to as the night eagle a messenger from the darkness and a guide through all the mysteries that it contains. They are night hunters and therefore have the ability to see what others may miss. The owl will give you the gift of seeing what is truly beneath the surface and not to be deceived by appearance.

So what animal do you feel drawn to?
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Zili

Re: Power animals

Post by Zili »

My spirit guide is a white hawk

according to http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/hawk.htm:
Hawk Represents- Power, Magic, Messenger

Hawk is the messenger, the protector and the visionaries of the Air.
It holds the key to higher levels of consciousness.
This totem awakens vision and inspires a creative life purpose.

A Hawk totem is filled with responsibility
because Hawk people seek the overall view.
They are aware of omens and spirit messages.

A Red-Tailed Hawk Totem is special.
It has direct ties to the Kundalini, the seat of primal life force.
It is associated with the base chakra .
If you have this Totem, you will be aware of and work towards fulfilling your soul's purpose.
It reflects a greater intensity of energy within your life:
physical, emotional, mental and spiritual forces will all be strong within you.
The Red-Tail Hawk is a permanent totem -- it will always be with you.

It is associated with the number "14" with the Tarot card Temperance.
This card represents the teaching of higher expressions of psychic ability and vision.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Re: Power animals

Post by Release.the.bats »

Everyone has nine totem animals around them at all times.
Power animals are very tricky and in my opinion strictly for shamanic usage.
I partly feel this way because in many Shamanic teachings, the power animal you have is taken as an animal that has blended its essence with your soul upon birth. This animal is LITERALLY seen as you in animal form because it has its own animalistic energies which allows you to tap into your own primal energies.
Your animal totems are rarely animals you respond to, sometimes they are animals you've never taken into consideration or even animals you hate.
For example: my within totem/power totem is the barn owl, what makes mine a power totem and not just a helper is that I take the form of this animal in my default state while journeying. Not only that, but if my inner space is being disrupted while i'm dreaming, I scream like a barn owl and everything dissolves. If you have a power animal you are either a shaman or someone with very strong magickal energies, and this animal will have some part to play in your path in this life.
But it is incorrect to say everyone has one (not that i'm trying to leave anyone out by any means!).
As I said above everyone has nine totem animals, these represent directions and also the animal that lies within you and your feminine and masculine powers.
Now your affinity with these animals can vary(as I also stated), and everyone gets animals that pop in and out of your life through dreams or IRL in which they are there to help you out or teach you.
The difference is that your nine totem animals don't leave you, they may take a backseat while one of the other totems helps you out, but they are always there for you.
For example: Lately, i've been trying to activate more of my Beaver energies (one of my nine totems), but i've been followed by Great Blue Herons ALL the time for the last few months. The Great Blue Heron isn't one of my nine, it is a visiting totem, so its medicine isn't as strong in me as it would be in someone who has the Heron as one of their primaries. But, it is there to teach me a lesson with its medicine and that lesson regards inner peace and aggressive action for opportunities.Eventually the heron will leave and probably pop up again from time to time, but it won't ever be as strong as my other totems.
Now, how strong your nine are for you depends on your level of awareness, your path, and whether or not you need to be aware of them. So my totems and totems in general are vital to me as a shaman, but they may not be as vital for a follower of Wicca or Christianity.

Does this all make sense?
So while it IS possible that the owl or the hawk is one of your nine, it is also possible that this animal is lending its power to you during a time in your life in which you need some of its teachings.

Return to “Animals and Pets”