Mourning Dove

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Danax

Mourning Dove

Post by Danax »

This morning, I heard a mourning dove. That isn't surprising in itself, since I always hear them in the early morning. But it was raining pretty hard, enough that I didn't hear any other bird, but that also wasn't unusual. Since all of the doors and windows were shut tight :shock:

I was freaking out a bit, since I was the only one that could hear this.
Does anyone know what this means? Was I just hearing things? Was I hallucinating? Or was I just really tired? Or, was this an omen of some sort? Please, I need to know!
Blessed be to all
Sometimes, it is the little things in life that really matter.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

I hear mourning doves all the time, they are always sitting in the same spot, everyday.
I also find feathers from them.
Doves for the most part symbolize settling of your life, a calmness.
Feminine, Peace, Maternity, Prophecy
The dove is the embodiment of maternal instinct.
She is connected to Mother Earth
and her creative energies.
Her mournful call speaks to our deepest self and
stirs our emotions.

Some things to pay attention to when doves appear:

People often find that unexpected and unseen support and assistance comes when they need it most.

Travel is often indicated when Dove appears prominantly, and this may include relocation to a new home.

A death, either physical (of someone one knows or is close to) or symbolic (within the individual) may occur and while it may bring grief, there is also quite often a sense of relief and gratitude that suffering has finally ended and peace will soon be at hand.

A new relationship may begin or an old one rekindled.

The ways and means of leaving a destructive or difficult situation is at hand. Life is about to become much more peaceful and satisfying on all levels.
Danax

Post by Danax »

that didn't really help.... all I did was hear it... and I was the only one that could hear it. Plus, the bird shouldn't even have been out in that storm...
Blessed be to all
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Okay, let me try this in a different way.
What were you thinking about when you heard the bird? Watching? Reading? Looking up?
Was there anything specific about the storm? Did anyone you know get injured? Have you ever lost anyone in a storm or natural disaster?
How many times did the bird sound? How long did it last?
Have you been going through a personal transitional period? Have you had some really rough times (maybe lost a parent or a close pet/friend, lost your job?).
Do you let people take advantage of you? Personally, emotionally, physically?
Are you often seen as being "weak" or "delicate" and people treat you like such?

None of these questions do you have to give me answers too, but do you see the train of thought you should assume about this?
Think about WHY it happened, and all the things it could be pointing too about your life.

Typically doves symbolize a sense of peace after something bad has happened. Sometimes they warn of impending death.
It is trying to tell you something all you have to do is listen for it.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Btw, don't worry about the practicalities of it, okay the bird shouldn't have been out in the storm.
That doesn't give you anything to work with, other than the message is urgent.
Also, your the only who heard it, okay, so it is speaking to you.
That has been addressed above.
Think about yourself, the inner you and your life.
As I tried to get you started with above.
Omens come to those who can or are meant to understand them.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Perhaps you have a porch with a cover? Mourning doves do hide in storms.
Danax

Post by Danax »

What were you thinking about when you heard the bird? Watching? Reading? Looking up? (I was in the kitchen thinking about breakfast)
Was there anything specific about the storm? Did anyone you know get injured? Have you ever lost anyone in a storm or natural disaster? (no one was injured, and no, I haven't)
How many times did the bird sound? How long did it last? (it seemed continuous, it lasted for about 10-20 minutes until I went outside to ride my bike to summerschool)
Have you been going through a personal transitional period? Have you had some really rough times (maybe lost a parent or a close pet/friend, lost your job?). (not really)
Do you let people take advantage of you? Personally, emotionally, physically? (hell no)
Are you often seen as being "weak" or "delicate" and people treat you like such? (See above answer)

And we do have a porch with a roof in the front of the house, the porch in the back is completely closed in and really small, the kitchen is at the back of the house, and is where I heard the dove the loudest.
Blessed be to all
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I think the dove might have just been sitting it out for the storm.
Danax

Post by Danax »

which is pretty much impossible, since the bird couldn't have gotten into the back porch >.>
Blessed be to all
Danax

Post by Danax »

this is gonna drive me absolutely batty! I heard the dove again, and more than one this time.
I open the freezer door? It was clear as a bell. But the calls were coming from the back yard too....
I'm still the only one that can hear 'em
Blessed be to all
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

According to this shamanism website that I read from, the mourning odve means:
Brings peace and love
Understanding of gentleness
Spirit messenger
Communicates between the two worlds

Perhaps it is here to teach you one of those lessons?
Danax

Post by Danax »

Ravencry wrote:According to this shamanism website that I read from, the mourning odve means:
Brings peace and love
Understanding of gentleness
Spirit messenger
Communicates between the two worlds

Perhaps it is here to teach you one of those lessons?
Well, there are always mourning doves around the house.... And there is also a spirit haunting the house too, maybe that has something to do with it?
Blessed be to all
ikaba

Post by ikaba »

Release.the.bats wrote:
Some things to pay attention to when doves appear:

People often find that unexpected and unseen support and assistance comes when they need it most.

Travel is often indicated when Dove appears prominantly, and this may include relocation to a new home.

A death, either physical (of someone one knows or is close to) or symbolic (within the individual) may occur and while it may bring grief, there is also quite often a sense of relief and gratitude that suffering has finally ended and peace will soon be at hand.

A new relationship may begin or an old one rekindled.

The ways and means of leaving a destructive or difficult situation is at hand. Life is about to become much more peaceful and satisfying on all levels.
Well this is pretty interesting.. This one time I had two doves on my roof looking down at me when I was sitting on the porch. It drew a strange feeling inside of me and even the wind seemed to whisper of something unexpected would occur. My cat behaved strangely as well. The next day my home burnt up, everything was consumed by flames and I moved away across the country just a few weeks later.

Return to “Animals and Pets”