petition to expose animal abusers

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
sshanti

petition to expose animal abusers

Post by sshanti »

Communities have good reason to be concerned about the whereabouts of animal abusers. They are five times more likely to commit violent crimes against people and convicted animal abusers pose a real, ongoing threat to your pets, your family, and your community.
The Animal Legal Defense Fund’s proposed abuser registry legislation would require mandatory registration and community notification for convicted animal abusers. These laws would make a dramatic difference in keeping offenders away from potential new victims by allowing animal shelters and humane societies to more thoroughly screen potential adopters—and by alerting the public to their whereabouts.

Please help protect innocent animals from harm, and request that your state require animal abusers to register in their communities.

Petition to Expose Animal Abusers
http://www.exposeanimalabusers.org/

You are welcome to cross post also
I also encourage people to report any form of abuse-it needs to stop.

Thank you for caring,
Susan
Have you hugged your cat today?
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

This is awesome, sshanti- thank you for posting. I've made the post into a sticky, so it will stay up at the top of this section. ~M
~
We as humans need to stand up for the rights of the animals and do all we can to prevent future abusers from ever harming again. I know I wouldn't move into a home right next to a convicted animal-abuser, just like I wouldn't buy that house next door to a sex offender. This registry (and the bill that's presently being ruminated over in California legislature,) would help (and note, I do say only "help") to secure the safety of family pets... and in turn, would also "help" secure the safety of neighborhood children, as well.

I'm not sure of the statistics, but a large percentage of young people who abuse animals, graduate onward to harming children, women and miscellaneous homicides, as adults. This registry would be keeping track of those who are abusing, and would be placing them in a different category, right away. (I would imagine that under age animal-abusers will not be included in this registry, but the existence of it in the first place should at least be putting these young offenders on a "watch" list of sorts.) Anything that may help stop this process before it spirals out of control, is a necessary thing- in my opinion.

Granted, this is not about humans, it's about animals. If you're reading these posts, you most likely already care about the welfare of animals, so there's no need to further convince you... but for the skeptics, appealing to the human aspect may prove to be more successful in resonating the importance of this registry with them.

Regardless of your reason, please consider signing the petition. Protect the animals, protect the children; protect the future.

~Bright Blessings~
*M
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

Here is a video of the very special Palden Dorje delivering a speech against animal sacrifice in religion. A good one for anyone to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozcLU8SnKy0
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
sshanti

Post by sshanti »

Historic Vote in Suffolk County, New York Creates Nation's First Registry for Animal Abusers

1.5 Million New Yorkers and their Animals Will Have More Protection from Repeat Offenders

http://aldf.org/article.php?id=1495
Have you hugged your cat today?
Robert L

Re: petition to expose animal abusers

Post by Robert L »

This really should go through if for no other reason (to the mainstream public anyway) then many of these dirtbags go on to become murderers and rapists.

Sooo, How about that Michael Vick playing again? ::darkmood::
Going to be offline from 1 Feb to 1 March. (playing Army in LA)
See you all when I get back. :)
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Robert L wrote: Sooo, How about that Michael Vick playing again? ::darkmood::
And not only that he got some most improved player of the year !
That, along with his salery should go to the animal shelters !!!
Gentle Light
MsMolli
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
wolfgirl96

Post by wolfgirl96 »

i am very animal activist this is good nd i agree about michael vick

Return to “Animals and Pets”