Dog as a Possible Totem?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Sombra

Dog as a Possible Totem?

Post by Sombra »

I've only recently began learning about animal totems. And looking at my life dogs have always been important to me though I've never owned one.

When I was younger I used to be terrified of a dogs, but I never hated them. I slowly started overcoming this on my own and formed a very strong love of dogs. It was when I started overcoming my fear of dogs that I had some shapeshifting experiences (not physical of course, but me taking on the mindset of a dog) that lead me to believe that I was otherkin because it was the first thing I came across. I was introduced to the idea of animal totems through this community but I didn't think much of it then. I started looking to the otherkin (particularly the therian) community to help explain why I had these shifts. But within this last year or so, I started questioning this. Therians generally believe that their soul or part of their soul is that of an animal. I don't really feel like that anymore. I used to but after taking a good look at myself over time and realized don't really feel that it's true anymore, though I'm not ruling it out just yet.

Through some essays people in the otherkin community wrote, I learned about shapeshifting to a totem animal. I started feeling like dog was my totem animal instead. So I've been looking up information on totem animals. I'm still very new to the idea and need to learn a whole lot though.

I generally feel a connection (albeit not a very strong one) to most animals. I love being around my cat but I don't feel as strong of a connection with cats as I do with dogs (or rather canines in general). When I was over my cousins house in Texas, him and his wife have two dogs. They said that Teddy (their Pekinese mix) doesn't really do well with other people, but he loved me. He was very calm with me and just liked sitting in my lap.

Does it sound like dog could be my totem/one of my totems?
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Yes. You will know what your totem animal is. Their will be no denying it. Mine is the spider followed by the hawk(I blam the animorphs). I am an atheist and even I can not deny what my totem animal is. I just chalck it up to psychology.

I know some Christians and Muslims forcefully aware of their totem animal.
Crowfeather
Banned Member

Post by Crowfeather »

atheist of peace wrote:Yes. You will know what your totem animal is. Their will be no denying it. Mine is the spider followed by the hawk(I blam the animorphs). I am an atheist and even I can not deny what my totem animal is. I just chalck it up to psychology.

Tobias was so hardcore.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Crowfeather wrote:
atheist of peace wrote:Yes. You will know what your totem animal is. Their will be no denying it. Mine is the spider followed by the hawk(I blam the animorphs). I am an atheist and even I can not deny what my totem animal is. I just chalck it up to psychology.

Tobias was so hardcore.
XD

I totally have all my Animorphs books. Tobias was totally my favorite character 'cause he couldn't change back...plus I liked the name Tobias.

But anyways, back on topic...

I'm still learning a lot about totem animals. Can someone point me in the direction of a couple of sites that have a lot of information on them? And how did any of you all find out about your totems?

Return to “Animals and Pets”