Get to know your Familiars...

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Thanks for the compliment, Donna. Although I'm really sliding on my own commitment of posting one animal a week... actually I wanted to mention that to everyone... I haven't forgotten, I just have a lot of things going on at the moment that need sorting and scheduling. I have a personal deadline though, March 15th. But that's another story entirely. :28:

*And I'm very glad you have shared in the pleasures of creatures in your life, Donna. They really are one of the greatest things in my opinion. :28:

~Blessed Be~
Kentu The Runecaster

Post by Kentu The Runecaster »

I appreciate the knowledge you have given me, I shared it with my bro and I think he agreed with me, he never really cuddled with me until late but he's gotten old and has started, but I got in a fight with my step dad, and it was to the point of being at each others throats (literally) J.D. (my cat) clawed and bit at my step dad's leg leaving a few cuts and bruises (he has 2 1/2 teeth) so I had thought he was but wasn't sure thanks for confirming my suspitions

~blessed be~
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

My pleasure Xeph. :28:
Kentu The Runecaster

long time no see moonstone
5moons

Post by 5moons »

My familiar is my wolf. Yah I have a wolf as familiar. My mom had a wolf when she was little and well hers ran away and came back with a litter of wolf pups cause I live close to woods and all. I knew we had wolves around here. So now my familiar Fang is getting old. I soon need to find a new wolf.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

I'm sorry Xeph... I know I've been pretty darn absent lately... not intentional, I'm just really really preoccupied. But I do check in as often as possible... I'm not going anywhere unless my computer explodes... and I've got five, so that'd be pretty darn amazing if that happened. :28:

Ok, and as I've obviously been slacking again, I'll give you guys some more magickal properties of the.... let's see.... Jaguar, Leopard/Panther & Lion. And hey, we can make this easier because there are darn near a million animals out there... anyone got any requests??? Post and I shall reply. :28:
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Magickal Attributes of the Jaguar: Developing the ability to explore without fear in Otherworld realms. Releasing fear.

The Jaguar:
The jaguar is the largest member of the cat family in the Western Hemisphere- only the tiger and lion are larger. The jaguar is found from Patagonia through South and Central America-- sometimes even as far north as Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

The jaguar is similar in shape to the leopard, but has a heavier, broader body and a larger head. The rosettes found on the jaguar's body are wider than those of a leopard. Jaguars are mostly seen in a deep yellow or tawny color, but the black jaguar (often referred to as a panther) is not entirely unusual- being seen mostly in the Amazon river valleys.

Jaguars are by nature, extremely aggressive. They will hunt humans as well as other animals of prey. They are expert swimmers, and are one of the few in the cat family that actually enjoy that sport. They most often choose to perch in trees; their strong climbing ability makes this most simple. The jaguar's preferred method of hunting and tracking is jumping from tree branch to tree branch in a jungle-forest environment.

Aztecs and Mayans considered the jaguar a very magickal creature. They believed it capable of shape-shifting in order to cause fear and increase the ability to kill people. They had a jaguar god to whom they made sacrifices. Mayan priests wore jaguar-fashioned garments during certain rites, to represent the animal. Jaguars hold a prominent place in the myths of the Mayans and Aztecs.

(from a book of mine:) "In Aztec society, the warrior class was symbolized by depictions of jaguars and eagles eating human hearts. The special god of the warriors, Tezcatlipoca, was often pictured as a jaguar. The Toltecs associated the jaguar with rain and thunder (which was called his "voice"). His yellow skin represented the sun; during eclipses they said that the jaguar swallowed the Sun. However, the Toltecs believed that the Sun God became a jaguar when he went underground at night."

On few occasionsa pure black jaguar can be seen, often referred to as panthers. Jaguars are extraordinarily independent, cunning and distrustful of humans. Not unlike the leopards, the jaguar will agressively hunt that which they especially hate, single humans and dogs.

(So don't go walking in the jungle-forests at night with your dog.) :28:

Magickal Attributes of the Leopard/Panther: Swiftness, cunning, strength, perseverance, boldness, beauty. Gaining confidence for Otherworld explorations and Astral Travel.

The Leopard/Panther:
Leopards are extremely fierce. They are known for pure malice and savagery. They have little fear of the human civilization. The leopard often comes into confined places to kill and eat dogs, goat, cows and sometimes even children. Leopards are very intelligent. They climb trees, leap ten feet or more through the air and are most active in darkness. Generally they are golden brown with black rosettes.

Leopards can be found over a large area- from the Black Sea in Europe to Burma and the Malay Peninsula, including all of India and Sri Lanka. It even ranges as far north as Siberia. They are found everywhere in Africa except the Sahara Desert. The black leopard (called the black panther) is most common in Ethiopia and the East Indies. Siberian leopards have the best disposition, and a different color- they usually have bluish-grey eyes and almost pearl-gray colored, long fur. The "snow leopard" of the Himalayas is not really a leopard at all, but is noted as one because of their rosettes or broken black rings.

In Egyptian art, Osaris and his priests were often pictured wearing leopard skins. In Africa, the leopard was a sacred animal to the Ibo. At times they were considered to be inhabited by souls of the dead. To the Chinese culture, it was said that they represented bravery and intense ferocity.

In Greece, the leopard was the traditional mount of the God Dionysus, sometimes walking beside him or pulling the chariot. In Greek, the panther's name meant "all-beast." This Greek name and the word panther also connected it with the God Pan.

A superstition of the Leopard:
*Leopards only have babies once, because their young "tear" their way out of the womb.

Magickal Attributes of the Lion: Learn to relax- don't carry the stress of one situation into another. Strengthen family relationships. Strength, courage, energy. Releasing stress and tension.

The Lion:
(Okay, I'll get back to this one... but at least there's a snippet.) :28:
Kentu The Runecaster

hey thats kinda cool, can I ask about the black cat?
5moons

Post by 5moons »

I got a black cat for you xeph.
Kentu The Runecaster

so do I.
I just wanna learn what his properties are
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Domesticated cat, Xeph? They're all pretty much the same actually- and If I remember right, the domesticated cat was the first animal I have here- check the first page of this post for more. :28:

Return to “Animals and Pets”