Pagan metal recommendations?

Share your favorite music and videos here.
Cigfran

Pagan metal recommendations?

Post by Cigfran »

While I have a few favorites, they tend to be of a darker theme with superficial Wiccan trappings. I do love some parts of Norse Mythology (specifically the magical side of Odin), but Heathenism doesn’t interest me (those groups tend to only focus on battle and violence).

Does anyone have any favorite Pagan-themed metal bands? Especially ones with female vocalists?

There was one called Astarte, which was unique in that it was all-female and had a huge focus on Goddesses, especially the titular Astarte. Sadly, the beautiful and talented lead singer died of cancer and thus so did the band...

There was some great stuff by an Italian band called Opera IX. At least while the singer Cadaveria was with them.

However, both of those bands are Black Metal, which explore darker themes and name drop questionable themes that are hardly part of Wicca or Paganism.

I’m open to recommendations :)
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Re: Pagan metal recommendations?

Post by Mr Crowley »

I don't do pagan/wicca/god/spirit, so I don't know if they qualify as pagan metal.

Old for me, hope it's new for you

SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Yeah pure pagan is quite rare in metal.

Doro from Warlock is excellent, songs like I rule the ruins or Undying totally occult.

Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple formed Blackmore's Night but that is not rock anymore.

There was a Greek band called Enemy/ies of Reality I think.

Avantasia - Moonglow features Candice Night from Blackmore's Night.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Venkelos

Post by Venkelos »

Not metal, but a truly interesting story I came across when researching deities.

Rhiannon, by Fleetwood Mac.

To preface, I play a lot of table-top RPGs (Dungeons and Dragons to the lay nerds out there ;) ) and one of the themes the developers had to work through was the nature (gameplay, mechanical nature) of divinity, and how they gain their powers and give spells to the divine casters. One of the myriad of ways was to gain worshippers - indeed, several deities usurped the domains of others by stealing worship from them, and that (as it's all based on real-world philosophy) fits the bill hearkening back to the proto-Semetic days when we stopped worshipping many gods and turned to one - violently and by the sword for hundreds of years.

Rhiannon was, in fact, an old Welsh deity. Nicks read a book of fiction very loosely based on her, and wrote the song - turns out, the song corresponds very well to the mythology of the ancient Goddess.

Here's an article (albeit somewhat iffy in source) about her creation of the song.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... etwood-mac
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

The schism lies in the placement of violin.
Pagan music's got fiddler's cheerful fiddlicking whilst metal music post 80s is like ooo mah heavy heart's sooo saaaaaaaad.

This one's got nice chorus and initials EUTM so make it an anthem
although Blackmore's Night with Under the Violet Moon would of course be more fitting.

ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)

Return to “Music & Videos”