Suggested Bases for Potions?

Potions go here. Keep it nice please. No poisons.
T'ani-L'ai

Suggested Bases for Potions?

Post by T'ani-L'ai »

I've practiced with herbs several times in the past, and generally, I either sprinkle a powder or burn them when working with spells. Occasionally, I even put them into an oil for anointing and the like. But, what I've been curious about for a long time is how to use herbs in a potion.

I think any tips on brewing potions would be useful, but what I really would like are some tips on what sort of bases to use for potions. I've tried using teas or alcohol before, but neither seemed to be very palatable. Maybe it was the mix of herbs? Or is there a better base for starting off a potion? I'd greatly appreciate any help with this!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggested Bases for Potions?

Post by Firebird »

Not all potions need to be or are required to consume. So it depends on what the potion is used for.
If you are taking internally, then teas or syrups made with water or honey or maple syrup should do fine.
If topically used then a base of coconut oil mixed with some bees wax, warming the ingredients very slowly.
Vinegars also work well for washes and tool treatment potions.
I make brews with herbs using just water that is meant to bless the ground or other things, maybe in the aspergillum that may contain herbs that would be toxic to drink. These need to be preserved with a shot of vodka or everclear because they will eventually go rancid without.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Potions”