Drawings

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.
L.J.Hex

Drawings

Post by L.J.Hex »

I thought to start a topic here on which I'll post things I draw for my BoS or just for fun. I mentioned this thing here some time ago, but I don't think I've shown you a picture like this before.

Now I want feedback, how does this picture "feel" to you? Post what ever comes to mind first. I'm very curious what your perception and gut feeling tells you about it.

By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Drawings

Post by SpiritTalker »

I feel it in my gut. It speaks determination to rise above sorrow. (Dunno why)
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

SpiritTalker wrote:I feel it in my gut. It speaks determination to rise above sorrow. (Dunno why)
Thank you SpiritTalker! That's an interesting point. I wish others would also chime in to tell what they feel.

This picture as you probably already got it, is letters L J H in theban, my initials in here and also in my real name. The four circles represent the four elements, four winds, four colors of human race and four corners of the earth. Perhaps I should add one more circle to the center, then counting the circles and the ends of the letters would add to thirteen.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

well, if were talking Rorschach initial reaction, I saw a pregnant woman holding her belly surrounded by pillars. :roll:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

firebirdflys wrote:well, if were talking Rorschach initial reaction, I saw a pregnant woman holding her belly surrounded by pillars. :roll:
Hahahaha, that's so funny. Yea, I see how you got that. xD One friend of mine said she sees a musician playing a drum. Quite fitting for me, but a pregnant woman between pillars, that's hilarious. :mrgreen: :lol:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

As I can't sleep I though I'd draw something. The crow topic inspired me. Its far from finished... I have never drawn a crow before.

EUTM is the first place where I dare to share things I draw since ages ago. Some years ago when I lived in Ireland, I drew a lot as I had so little to do there. I was stupid enough to post some of them on a fb group, little did I know that the place was full of snobbish better-than-thou types. Looking at the pictures there it was clear that anything I made was sub par compared to those wannabe super artists. They mostly posted digital "painting" which has absolutely zero to do with actual painting in my opinion... I do this with a pen, with no way of fixing everything or zooming in hundred fold to make insanely detailed things. I have been very reluctant to share any of my drawings since.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is friggin beautiful, how could anyone talk down great art like that. Thank you for sharing, it is really lovely.
I think the energy of crow and the Morrigan has been getting stronger as we enter the dark quarter of the year.
I'm glad you drew this, it makes me think about her more and maybe that her seductive like nature is more present for us in a way to help ease one across the "river" rather than in a sexual way, but in a comforting way?
bb, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

firebirdflys wrote:That is friggin beautiful, how could anyone talk down great art like that. Thank you for sharing, it is really lovely.
I think the energy of crow and the Morrigan has been getting stronger as we enter the dark quarter of the year.
I'm glad you drew this, it makes me think about her more and maybe that her seductive like nature is more present for us in a way to help ease one across the "river" rather than in a sexual way, but in a comforting way?
bb, FF
Well, there's a lot of people with crappy attitudes in the art circles. It was the same back when I was in art school, I met some of the coolest persons I've ever known and then also complete aholes, bad attitudes, egotism, elitism, more-van-gogh-than-thou's... But that facebook group was just obnoxious. I'm fairly certain they had a clique of people who just pat each other on the back and bash "outsiders". They also seemed to have bad attitude towards REAL art made with REAL physical means as 90% of everything there was digital. Nothing wrong with the using technology as its awesome tool, but they called it "painting" as in they really paint something which I think is ludicrous, photoshop allows for endless ways to fix things and such tools as insane zooming, easy way of making something huge etc.

The cycle of the year sure has a lot to do with which animals get stronger, at least in here most birds migrate, but crows are different, some migrate, but others tend to stay. Morrigans? The smaller than usual crow, almost all black kind of bird? We have ton of those these days and they bunch up with crows and magpies all the time, seem to get along well.

I'll post the picture again when I finish it, its about halfway done. :)
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

BTw, I posted my sigil/avatar on the DIY Witches group on facebook, asking the same questions as in the OP and the feedback is amazing!

There is a clear pattern on what people see in it. Bad things first, many people commented that they see anxiety, confusion and chaos. Also two of these people added a search for clarity, a way out of that confusion. This is interesting as it speaks about my personality and my issues in life.

Then on to the more positive things, motherhood, pregnancy and fertility. So cool that people picked this up as these are common themes in witchcraft and also personally hitting the mark about my path in the craft. I'm on my first steps, less than two years of being serious with it, my path is in the pregnancy, I'm not ready yet, this is just the beginning.

Many people mentioned Picasso, Picasso's women or a wanna be Picasso. I did not think about Picasso's work while drawing this, but I'm a huge fan! Specially when I was younger, I had a thing for cubism and the abstract. I still do. I love Pablo Picasso's art. The next recurring theme is music, friend of mine saw a drummer, many mentioned music, dance, movement. This is truly amazing as I'm a musician and my main instrument is the drums since 1994, oh boy, that was ages ago.

Love, healing, true love and such things were mentioned several times. It fits as I'm very passionate about the things I draw. Pen and brush have been an important conduit of my expression since I could hold one.

Few people came up with unique comments. One person said a trap, interesting, as I guess if this would be used in binding spell, it could be a trap. Or perhaps as a energy trap? Other person commented "joyful hearts". I love that one! One of my favorites is "connection to the past", isn't that what so many of us have a longing for? I mean in the craft, we often look back with admiration and longing for the old times and old wisdom. Another cool one was "fanciful dream amidst harsh reality." For me doing this is also an escape route from all annoyances of everyday life. Two people mentioned something about it feeling comedic, goofy, humor... This is a funny one, my sense of humor is often the kind which people either think is stupid or they don't understand it.

Few commentators knew right away what the picture literally is. Its a personal sigil consisting of letters L, J and H in theban alphabet and four(now five!) circles. These are my initials and the idea was to make a personal sigil as self made ones are said to be the most powerful. I wanted to make it personal and unique and then use it as my magical signature. I'm very much into symbolism and numerology as these are the language of the unconscious, the mind sees them even if people don't consciously perceive them. The ends of the letter and the circles add to thirteen, no need to explain 13 to you. Btw, my "name day" in Finnish calendar is July 13th. Four large circles represent the four elements, four directions, four sabbats, four colors of human race and so on, you all know the symbolism of the number four. The small circle represents the aether/spirit, the cosmos. The last circle is smaller because from our point of view we only perceive a tiny part of all that exists and it also represents the hidden powers of nature.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Crows almost always have a companion, so I thought to give my crow a friend too. This is turning out nicer than I thought.

L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

I'm feeling inspired today. Some of you might remember the first picture, its the first page of my Book of Shadows. The second is the last page which I just made.

First to decrypt the theban text gets a cookie. :flyingwitch:

L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Getting there, slow and steady.

I started drawing the last page with my sevenfold pentagram, I'm thinking of adding a poem there, I just need to write it. I was given an interesting idea of making the last page of the book a door which leads to the next book. I'm sure this wont be my last even though its 700 pages which will take ages to fill.

Btw, if anybody's interested into how to draw that pentagram easily, I could make a tutorial, its very simple. :flyingwitch:

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ack! not going to get a cookie :evilwitch: :P :cry: :annoyed: blue_flee

the inner row: is something like "we met, we been, we paet?, andmelly??? ...and then I gave up
outer row: yelly? what? and then I gave up.
The variation of the alphabet can differ greatly from one persons interpretation to the next.
I don't use the script very often because I do have to get the book out and translate every time, I use Buckland's.

But it is very, very lovely. What sort of pen are you using on the black background??

the pent upon pent tutorial is a great idea!
I'll be looking forward to it.
bb. FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

firebirdflys wrote:Ack! not going to get a cookie :evilwitch: :P :cry: :annoyed: blue_flee

the inner row: is something like "we met, we been, we paet?, andmelly??? ...and then I gave up
outer row: yelly? what? and then I gave up.
The variation of the alphabet can differ greatly from one persons interpretation to the next.
I don't use the script very often because I do have to get the book out and translate every time, I use Buckland's.

But it is very, very lovely. What sort of pen are you using on the black background??

the pent upon pent tutorial is a great idea!
I'll be looking forward to it.
bb. FF
You got the idea already. ;) It says: Merry we met, merry have we been, merry will we part and merry meet again. :) You'll get a cookie anyway. :mrgreen:

I'm using Molotow ink pens mostly, but for the background I used a felt tip pen, its permanent kind, but different type, this holds a nice trick. When drawing with ink pens first, then covering it with the felt tip, the original is still visible when light reflects on the page, but in dim lighting its invisible. ;) There's symbols on the last page which can't be seen in the picture... But with sunlight or anything strong enough reflecting from the page, secrets are revealed. :flyingwitch:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Wait a minute, you mean the paper was not black to start with??
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Artwork”