Tattoos in the Service / Tattoos as Sigils

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.
Shekinah

Tattoos in the Service / Tattoos as Sigils

Post by Shekinah »

I am sure to catch a lot of flack by this thread however body art is a very popular thing in our current culture and pros and cons need to be discussed.

Never forget that as a Pagan, Wiccan or Witch we consider the body our temple where-in we reside and function while on earth. Also keep in mind the power of a Sigil when considering a tattoo. Is the concept imparted by a particular piece of art what you really want influencing your astral body, aura and health?

As a practical matter influencing career decisions body art may well disqualify you from many high level positions. I know throughout our Intelligence Community we do not hire anyone for certain positions who have body art. In our psychological and human reliability assessment a tattoo and piercing is looked upon as a character defect. A tattoo for example tags your identity for anyone who might be targeting you and lights up in night-vision scopes. In combat or accidental trauma involving fire a tattoo will absorb flash heat to potentiate burn wounds. In diplomatic circles many otherwise seemingly benign art tattoos may be deemed extremely offensive to foreign observers and may well determine your fate. A Christian cross will get you killed in some Islamic circles.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I do not think tattoos disqualify people from high positions. They will just want them covered. Tattoos are over 5000 years old and recorded everywhere on this planet. People should stop stigmatizing it and judging people by how they look. Same with piercings though I understand they are unsafe for certain positions.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Lady_Lilith wrote:I do not think tattoos disqualify people from high positions. They will just want them covered. Tattoos are over 5000 years old and recorded everywhere on this planet. People should stop stigmatizing it and judging people by how they look. Same with piercings though I understand they are unsafe for certain positions.
Ditto.

I also believe a tattoo can be used as a protective or empowering symbol.
I do, however, think one should really be certain before getting a tattoo. Not only because of the job prospective. And also, people should consider the health risk of getting ink.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Every one of my tattoos has a meaning. And I have Picts in my ancestry. I see plenty of military personnel who are stationed at Buckley AFB, who have tattoos. I have also met plenty of people stationed at Peterson AFB, who have tattoos and display them at the Renaissance Festival in Larkspur. People who work in high security areas.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Not a problem for most people. Just forwarding a heads up for some. There are many occupations that will not consider anyone with a tattoo for some positions and the CIA screening guidelines do consider it a character defect.(Why? because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum) Today's military are having difficulty recruiting so they are much more lenient. Even so, in the military a tattoo is not wise in Special Operations or black programs where foreign intelligence may be tracking you. They serve no function beyond body art. It can be used to identify an individual and from a distance is an infrared and starlight signature. In burn wounds we often see deeper tissue damage throughout a tattoo.

While working with a Dermatology practice I have removed a few with laser and it is expensive and traumatic and most always leaves residual scar evidence even when the newer erasable inks have been used. So why do it? vanity? to be one of the crowd? to make a statement? Of course folks are free to do with their body as they will. There are more negative then positive connotations to body art. Money best invested in your IRA. What if....you become a hostage in an ISIS terrorist event. They will certainly love seeing a pentagram on a person and will no doubt have special treatment in mind. Improbable but possible we cannot know everything the future holds. This is a very violent unpredictable world we live in and it would be wise to remain unremarkable and off of the radar.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Becks

Post by Becks »

Good thing I'm not considering a career in Special Operations. ;) I'm special enough. I also have no plans to travel to unstable countries that don't like witches.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Shekinah wrote:A tattoo for example tags your identity for anyone who might be targeting you and lights up in night-vision scopes. In combat or accidental trauma involving fire a tattoo will absorb flash heat to potentiate burn wounds. In diplomatic circles many otherwise seemingly benign art tattoos may be deemed extremely offensive to foreign observers and may well...get you killed...
Ouch. lol

Shekinah wrote:Also keep in mind the power of a Sigil when considering a tattoo. Is the concept imparted by a particular piece of art what you really want influencing your astral body, aura and health?
I've always been more concerned about this dimension of tatooes, more so than the employment/social/aesthetic aspects. I've always considered tatooes as portals of sorts, points of much unseen energetic activity, kinetic devices that can draw-in, manipulate, transmute, or exude certain energies which resonate with them. That's not always a good thing. It's better, I think, to do that with one's mind, that there's more control that way. I don't know.

I've also noted over the years as I've studied esoterica that it appears many symbols and sigils may not only symbolize what the wearer believes they are symbolizing, but may have other deeper layers of meaning that end up effecting unwanted metaphysical responses. In such instances, the wearer won't connect the result with the problem (symbol/sigil). For instance, what might be considered protective may in reality be making the individual more of an astral target by certain entities, egging them on, challenging them in a sense, etc.

Folks with tats, realize this conversation isn't meant to be insulting to you nor your body art, just throwing around some ideas for discussion, is all. As for me, I am already such a walking portal, I never wanted to bring yet more astral attention to myself, never got tats and never want to, lol. But that's just a reflection of my personal experiences.

SirisDerp

Post by SirisDerp »

I'm former military and have to respectfully disagree on some points made. Tattoos are very much a social stigma and some turn their noses up at tattoos despite them existing in cultures around the world for centuries. A lot of cultures use tattoos to tell a story of their exploits and scare off the enemy. In the Marine Corps, which was founded within a bar, had no issues with tattoos until recently with the new order put into place by the past Commandant. This is very much a political move on his part to please the masses where society still scorns tattoos in a 'professional' setting. It's unfortunate this affects recruiting as the younger generation gets tattoos at such a young age where before it was rarer due to how closed society was about it. The rise in tattoos is a visual representation of society slowly opening itself up to not only culture but different ideas. This mind set about tattoos being unprofessional immediately alienates other cultures with their customs and, to be frank, outdated. In this world, as discouraging as it is, still hangs onto this idea that tattoos are to be discouraged and immediately associated to gangs. I dare say this stigmatism in America first stemmed from racism as well.

I don't believe discouraging others from getting tattoos because they can't get a high paying professional job is the way to go. I rather support others to get tattoos BUT be smart about it. Don't appropriate other cultures, make sure this is something you want on your body FOREVER, and its highly recommended to get it somewhere that can be easily covered up. Every job has their restrictions on such things. Generally any government job involving military, CIA, FBI, etc. can and will get you disqualified coming in as a civilian with no previous background in the area.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Shekinah wrote:Not a problem for most people. Just forwarding a heads up for some. There are many occupations that will not consider anyone with a tattoo for some positions and the CIA screening guidelines do consider it a character defect.(Why? because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum) Today's military are having difficulty recruiting so they are much more lenient. Even so, in the military a tattoo is not wise in Special Operations or black programs where foreign intelligence may be tracking you. They serve no function beyond body art. It can be used to identify an individual and from a distance is an infrared and starlight signature. In burn wounds we often see deeper tissue damage throughout a tattoo.
Actually the CIA allows tattoos:
https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq
While working with a Dermatology practice I have removed a few with laser and it is expensive and traumatic and most always leaves residual scar evidence even when the newer erasable inks have been used. So why do it? vanity? to be one of the crowd? to make a statement? Of course folks are free to do with their body as they will. There are more negative then positive connotations to body art. Money best invested in your IRA. What if....you become a hostage in an ISIS terrorist event. They will certainly love seeing a pentagram on a person and will no doubt have special treatment in mind. Improbable but possible we cannot know everything the future holds.

Kidnapped by ISIS?! Really man???
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

The possibility, however remote, exists of any one of us being kidnapped by almost anyone, at ant time. One of my tattoos serves as protection. So yes, tattoos have power. So do cross necklaces, hijack and turbans. I see all of those frequently. Fortunately, we all get along in my community. I love the diversity.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Lady_Lilith wrote:
Shekinah wrote:Not a problem for most people. Just forwarding a heads up for some. There are many occupations that will not consider anyone with a tattoo for some positions and the CIA screening guidelines do consider it a character defect.(Why? because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum) Today's military are having difficulty recruiting so they are much more lenient. Even so, in the military a tattoo is not wise in Special Operations or black programs where foreign intelligence may be tracking you. They serve no function beyond body art. It can be used to identify an individual and from a distance is an infrared and starlight signature. In burn wounds we often see deeper tissue damage throughout a tattoo.
Actually the CIA allows tattoos:
https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq
While working with a Dermatology practice I have removed a few with laser and it is expensive and traumatic and most always leaves residual scar evidence even when the newer erasable inks have been used. So why do it? vanity? to be one of the crowd? to make a statement? Of course folks are free to do with their body as they will. There are more negative then positive connotations to body art. Money best invested in your IRA. What if....you become a hostage in an ISIS terrorist event. They will certainly love seeing a pentagram on a person and will no doubt have special treatment in mind. Improbable but possible we cannot know everything the future holds.

Kidnapped by ISIS?! Really man???

NOTE I said "in some positions" The Agency has thousands of positions most administrative.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Shekinah wrote:because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum
I have to completely disagree with you on this point. Most folks I know with impressive intentional markings are doing it to empower themselves, and these people definitely are NOT followers but do dance to the rhythm of their own drum. They have not rushed out in a drunken blur to get tats with their messed up friends, but rather they are highly creative energetic and caring folks. It's irresponsible to make a blanket statement. One could have absolutely no idea what kind of a person gets a tattoo. Sure some are followers, but not all.
I don't disagree about it affecting your health, so that if anyone really desires to have a mark that will idenify you in life and in death to think long and hard about why you wish to get marked. Test a spot for alergic reactions, and use a reputable artist who uses an autoclave and does not re-use ink.
I feel some folks over react to tattoos, my mother being a great example. Siting I could be the tattooed lady in the circus with one tattoo that says "Love". :evil:
And what about all those great Navy men with the anchor? Or Marines with a bulldog or eagle? In fact when I was a child, seems the olny folks that were rough and tumble enough to get a tattoo were the ones in the military.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Thitabe

Post by Thitabe »

To put in my two cents, I grew up with my grandfather having many tattoos all over his chest and arms. He was a carrier naval officer. He was a naval pilot a flew off air craft carriers in the Pacific during WW II. He retired in 1962, the year I was born. I myself spent 22+ years in the Army. You may be amazed just how many service members have tattoos across all branches of service. I myself have 1 tattoo of the Eagle from the back of the U.S. Quarter before the ment went to the State Quarters. Under the Eagle it says U.S. Army.
Obviously I have no problem with tattoos, but I do believe for myself there should be meaning and a purpose for the tattoo. I would never get a tattoo just to get one. I don't want to ever regret or be embarrassed about what is permanently on my body/ temple.
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Society is becoming slightly more accepting and progressive in regards to tattoos and piercings. My old job they were forbidden if they were visible. Now they allow them as long as there is nothing inappropriate like foul language, nudity, or swastikas. They also allow gauges as long as they're solid and small nose piercings, other facial piercings to a point. That's a major step for them.

I want to get the triple moon with a pentacle inside tattooed on my wrist. My fear is that I will meet ridicule for it as many still erroneously believe the pentacle is a devil worshiper symbol.
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

My husband and I have several tats. Mine cover both of my forearms. We waited till after we were married and have some spiritual experiences together before our first tattoos. All of ours mean alot to us and hold a special story for each. They are also beautiful pieces of art we carry around with us.

We get judged by prudes quite often and we don't care. The rude ones that just see tats n us and assume we're losers (or whatever they think) are close minded and have no idea what they mean to us. However, we run into way more people that love ours tats and want to know the stories behind them and compliment how gorgeous and we done they are.

My husband is a principal and it shocks many when they see him out of the work attire. At the school he runs, he must hide his tats. But on the weekend, he is himself.

Return to “Artwork”