BOS Pages Input

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.
BabyBear

BOS Pages Input

Post by BabyBear »

Hey guys, ive recently decided to do a whole new book of shadows cus ive found some cool ideals and a nice way to make one without drawing attention to the fact that that is what it is.
all it really is is a hardback sketchbook/pad that i plan on recovering later but untill then it just looks like a sketch pad.

Anyway to the point of this thread, I am hand drawing and making all of my pages for my book and would love to get feed back on them and when i get stuck like i am now i can ask for any suggestions on design ideals to help along the pages :)
Obviously Im not going to show all of the pages but i hope people enjoy the ones i do post

Here gose:

This is just my Book of Shadows opening page, i still havnt figured out what font i plan on putting Baby Bear and then the date in the space between Shadows and the border scroll or tea stained any of the pages yet but its pretty much done :)

this is my sorely lacking yule page that i need help on, I might even scrap it completly im not sure yet, if anyone had any suggestions on how to fill out the bottom or a cool border you find online that fits for Yule please feel free to post them,
im also looking for page ideals for Lughnasadh and Mabon so if anyone would like to help with those also YAY lol

I have a couple more pages done but one or two i plan on redoing before i post the rest
blessed be
Baby Bear
Kassandra

Re: BOS Pages Input

Post by Kassandra »

An auspicious Yuletide blessing done in runes might be nice as a border design.

Thumb around the Runes forum for ideas.

And/or Ask the Mods about it...Holdasown, Heartsong and Xiao mention in their forum descriptions that they work with runes.

Good luck! :wink:

BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

O.o Kass you posted that like 5 times lol
and thanks i actually might do that lol
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Those are very beautiful pages, Baby Bear!

One comment that I want to make really fast is to think of the longevity of your Book of Shadows ... Non-archival quality paper and inks tend to begin to fade in 10 years, and will yellow and crumble at the edges naturally (and not necessarily in a "looks-like-aged-parchment" way. Most wallpaper has acid in it, so think about how aged wallpaper looks ...). It'll last much, much longer if you use acid free paper. When it comes to tea staining, the jury's still out on how it will affect the longevity of paper, but in general tea is slightly acidic. Even if you use acid free paper, it won't be acid free after you stain it with tea, and acid will eventually eat through your paper over time.

I say this because usually people don't really think that much about if their paper is going to last 10 years, but with Books of Shadows, it might be worth considering. I know some people want to keep them their whole lives and perhaps even hope that their beautiful, hand-written Books of Shadows will be passed down through the generations, and in that case why not let it just age naturally? Producing the antiquing effect with tea might look cool, but there's a risk of it contributing to your BoS deteriorating faster.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

humm you might be right, i might just water color the paper then cus thats what the sketchpad is watercoloring canvases paper
that and i spray them with some crafting spray that helps with the acid so hopefully that helps
http://www.misterart.com/crafts/book-bi ... spray.html
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Do you have any sabbat correspondence charts? Those might help you with ideas for sabbat pages. Lughnasadh is the sabbat I get stuck on when it comes to correspondences. :anxious: Yule makes me think of toys. Maybe you could draw little toys in each bottom corner of your Yule page. Perhaps for Mabon you could draw the leaves of plants that are indigenous to your area.
You could get ideas for sabbat designs by looking at pictures of sabbat specific crafts. Try http://paganwiccan.about.com/ for ideas.
Your opening page looks like it could be in a story book. :)
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

lol thanks that was what i was going for honestly cus like its the story of my path and what ive learnt and done
and Lughnasadh is kinda hard to come up with something till i seen this altar set up with corn dolls with a leaf crown and they were laying on some wheat it was easy to use that to fill up a page, im making a leave border for that page cus what i do it a cover page for the Sabbath then list the history, traditions, games, recipes, ceremony and everything like that behind that page.
it helped me a lot to look up BoS flip through on youtube believe it or not, cus you got to see their sabbath pages and it gives you a lot of ideals lol and yeh i even made my own wheel of the year i just need to redo it because i messed up and left out leos for some reason ><
ill upload more pages later this week, im still feeling sick and drained from being in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with my gallbladder lol i have random bursts of creativity and do them when i can lol
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

BabyBear wrote:im still feeling sick and drained from being in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with my gallbladder lol i have random bursts of creativity and do them when i can lol
You're struggling with physical challenges, and yet you could still manage to be this wonderfully creative and expressive. That means you're a strong girl and a real fighter, and never let things get in your way. You inspire me. smiley_dance

BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

aww Kass *hugs* thanks
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Just something im planing on using for Beltane book of shadow section maybe not sure yet that or Ostara *shrugs*

oh ill be adding more here soon guys now that its way easyer to upload all my stuff ill set down and scan my stuff asap and upload some of my pages including some failed ones i made that im just keeping till i can redo them ><

Return to “Artwork”