How schools degenerate people

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

I've got a big concept on how to reform the structure of education. I'm going to write my theory and maybe someone, somewhere will try it out.

The most devastating thing to human potential is in my opinion the education system, schools.
You get children pumped with glucose drinks and them let them just sit.
Concentration is far off as they need 5 hours of physics to learn 1-2 equations.

Better way would be to encourage courses. Scout camp. Carpenter's course. Applied IT lessons.
Of course everybody would fancy learning basics of maths lest they get scammed at grocery store.

Natural development of needed skills would do the trick.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How schools degenerate people

Post by Firebird »

Have you heard of these schools? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_education
Now to cross the burden of cost.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Here in Germany school starts to early... my boys (7&10) have to get up at 6.30 so they have enough time to wake up and get ready and leave the house at 7.30
School starts at 7.55.

The schoolsystem needs to be reformed...
Ours already have practical courses and they allow the kids to move around on their chairs and in the room during class, but its still like keeping a goldfisch in a drinking glass..
BB

Blue Moon
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

blue_moon
I like how Germanic countries are actively seeking solutions to problems
Attachments
problem solving.jpeg
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

When I was in public school (US) the grade school years k,1-6, jr high 7-9 & sr high 10-12 all ran from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, with some advanced classes going later. I graduated in 1970 & I know school busses are still on the road at 7AM-4PM so it hasn’t changed in 50 years. And working a day job has roughly the same starting time. After so much repetition I think I’m biologically set on that schedule.

My 7th grade class was the first in the city to get binary code in the classroom as an experiment. im really bad at any thing even smelling like math... really bad.
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

I had to be in school at 7.15 back in the 80s. Had to get up at 6 to catch the bus at 6.50. I didn't normally get to sleep until 2 in the morning if not later, always been a night person. School systems suck almost every where. But so do work schedules.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I had trouble getting up early too. I used to start school at 7:30, which I view as the middle of the night :D

I can agree the school system is not meeting the children's needs. Especially where I live - kids in Bulgaria carry heavy bags to school every day (I swear my daughter's bag is 14 kilograms on Mondays, she weighs 42) with books and notebooks and other stuff. They do have lockers at school, but can't leave their books because they have homework to do. So we bought a second set of textbooks which is pricey, but I'd much rather pay than her having to carry the books. However, there are many parents who can't afford to do that.
Anyway, the system where every kid needs to learn everything even when they don't need it is not only old, but not very functional in 21st century. If you need information, the easiest thing is to find it (here I would add a subject to teach kids how to find information and avoid fake information). No need to burden artists with chemistry or chemists with art. Basic knowleldge is all it takes.

All of this said, the importance of education is beyond dispute. I root for education (oh well, I am a teacher, what do you expect :D ) and firmly believe this is the ONLY way to integration and success.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

The school district my grandkids are in plans to add a pharmacy technician program. Colorado is requiring pharmacy technicians to be state licensed by March 31.
Daughter of Sekhmet
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

The Public schools system in the US, or at least the Midwest, not only barely benefits the students, but also is so full of red tape and political BS, continues to perpetuate the myth that any good school must pump funding into their football program at the expense of all other programs, while simultaneously destroying the souls of good teachers.

There are actually good hearted people who get into education to do good. But the system is so flawed that those teachers end up suffering so much they quit or give in. They fight the injustices and lose. They are compassionate for their students and are ridiculed. They give up nights, weekends, time with their own family, money from their own pockets and never even get told “Thank you.” Money flows to the school on the side of town where the wealthy kids go while the lower income kids have to deal with leaky ceilings and rodents running around. And I’m not talking about donations, I’m talking about taxed district funds!

And the poor kids. At least the teachers are getting paid for their troubles! We need some serious Education reform here in the southern US, that is for sure!

Rosie
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

Oh yeah, the heavy bags! All the stuff my son had to carry. Leaving stuff at school was possible but usually not an option because books were needed for homework. I ended up telling the school that he has a limit of 3kg for health reasons, and that they should think of a way to make it work. I wasn't the most popular mom with the teachers.

Return to “Mental Health”