How to stay motivated..?

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
sun

How to stay motivated..?

Post by sun »

I'm in high school and severely depressed. I'm way too young for this kind of mindset, and it is upsetting. I think about life a lot and it hurts my mind and makes me feel so unmotivated, because I feel essentially worthless. My grades are slipping because I have lost the energy to want to do my work when I just feel like it doesn't matter in the end.

I don't know how to stay motivated, but I know I'm not the only one, and I know the majority of this community have gotten through high school. Anyone have any advice? I know I need to keep my grades up, but it's so hard to focus on things, especially because I have both ADHD and depression, which is hell. Unmotivated + easily distracted = not good. And I know I have the capacity to be successful academically, but I don't have the energy to study.

Any advice would be amazing. Thank you Image
Heartsong

Re: how to stay motivated..?

Post by Heartsong »

This may seem incredibly basic, but if you aren't drinking enough water or eating good food, it can have a major effect on your energy levels and your ability to keep your mind on task.

Something else that's basic, but might be helpful, is to take a couple minutes every day to stand outside and breathe. Being grounded to the earth always helps me feel more clear-headed and focused. Since your name is sun, I would be willing to bet that soaking up a little sunshine every day would do wonders for boosting your moral.

If you're on medication for your ADHD or depression, then keeping up with that is a must. I take medication for depression myself, and I know that when I miss a day or forget to get the prescription refilled, my ability to function takes a nosedive. Also, don't dwell and don't brood. Lingering on what makes you stressed or unhappy isn't a healthy mindset. High school is a very, very small fraction of your life. You can have cheat days and lazy days. It's okay to put more energy on the things that make you happy than in your studies once in a while. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
sun

Post by sun »

Thank you Heartsong! That was very helpful.
I recently visited an herbalist who recommended I try going off Zoloft and told me to set a schedule so that I eat full meals at set times rather than random portions throughout the day or no food at all, seeing as my eating habits are all screwed up as are any public school student's, so eating better is definitely something I'm working on!

And I'll try to drink more water, I honestly don't get thirsty and may forget to drink water for up to two days before noticing but I'll try to force myself to, it'd probably help a lot! I'll also try studying and doing my work outside, I definitely prefer the outdoors rather than being cooped up inside all day. :-]
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

It's awesome that you're already working on making those changes! :D

Don't force anything. It might help to just take a sip whenever you pass a water fountain. It's better for you than turning to coffee or soda to clear muddled thoughts (although I'm hard pressed to surrender the caffeine, lol).

Let us know how it works for you! You can always keep a spreadsheet or a journal to record your progress. It really helps me to stay motivated if I can see a visual representation of how I'm doing in something.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Highschool can truly be a hard period, especially if you are dealing both with puberty and some sort of awakening. ADHD doesen't help with this at all.
I'm almost done with Highschool and I also have ADHD, but not severe enough to take meds. I will write some of the things that helped me get through:
You could set tasks with short deadlines and reward yourself when you achieve the goal. Buying yourself a chocolate or watching a movie you wanted to see a while ago, count as rewards. For focusing better, try studying for short periods, but with intense concentration. 50 minutes, just like in school, works for me.
Also, while studying, don't just read, your busy mind will think at something else; read the paragraph and then write it down (the main ideas) and draw many sketches. Using colours might help you remind and organise the info better.
You can also light a candle in your breaks and watch it in order to relax. The mind wanders away and thoughts come and go very fast, but afterwards you can focus again.
For math, physics or chemistry, you can also listen to music while solving problems (Celtic war songs work for me).
Study groups with people who are used to focus for a long time and don't talk too much, are helpful too, at least to motivate and keep you working....maybe studying in the library could work.

You also said you don't drink water for days and don't feel the need to. High five on that too!
In order to drink more fluids, I fill a 500ml bottle with water and take a sip whenever I finish studying a paragraph or solving a problem. In 4 hours, I manage to drink more than 1 liter.
P.S. making a shedule with setted tasks and short periods, could also motivate you "not to forget" about them.

Keep us posted on your situation;-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: How to stay motivated..?

Post by SnowCat »

You might need your medication adjusted. And when your thirsty, your already experiencing mild dehydration. Your mind, emotions, and body are all in a state of flux during the high school years. I compare to squirrels running amok. I still deal with that sometimes. It does get easier to deal with. Be patient with yourself.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Have you thought about speaking to a councilor or therapist? I am manic depressive and have a pretty severe anxiety disorder, and though I take regular medication, sometimes seeing my therapist just to get off my chest whatever is weighing on my mind helps wonders.

I believe that while taking a holistic approach to treating depression is amazing, please speak to a doctor before quitting your antidepressant. Quitting all at once can really mess up your body, so medical professionals usually recommend decreasing your dosage slowly.

Hope everything works out, and let us know if you have any questions!
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you are talking about spiritual motivation, try doing small, spiritual things that can be done easily, without a lot of fancy preparation.

And pep talk yourself with If it's going to Be, it's up to Me kind of thinking. Take small steps, start where You’re at. Work with what you’ve got. Remember to give Self some playtime.

Don’t skip meals.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit for brevity

Return to “Mental Health”