Seasonal Blues

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seasonal Blues

Post by Firebird »

Gah!
Am I the only one struggling with this?
:annoyed:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Seasonal Blues

Post by SpiritTalker »

Nah, I'm lousy between thanksgiving and new years. I lose my appetite, sleep at weird hours - or hibernate. Gray skies, rain and sleet. Brrrr. A ray of sunshine is worth cheering for.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Nope,me too. I love all seasons,but the passing from a warm one to a cold one always makes me moody.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I like winter and I'm glad it's freezing outside after many unusually warm years. But I'm moody and sleep badly.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Right now it's about -15° C where I live...

Which means a snow day!! (I work outside)

So how can I be upset at the weather? Lol
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Not sure it's the weather for me, more likey past trauma trying to weasel in. I really like the brisk winter, provided I can get to a warm place when I've had enough. My butt freezes lol,
you snow folks are a hearty breed. :fairy:

Been thinking on steps to over come this and I have many strategies however yesterday you could have given me a rainbow leprechaun and his pot of gold and it wouldn't have mattered. I did bomb the house with frankincense that helped a bit.
The tree... (Yule)...was the first time I ever went to the lot and just grabbed the first one I saw, still bundled, threw it in the truck. Husband looked shocked that I didn't give a crap to even look at it first. Next I thought I'll just throw the box of balls at the tree (yeah, all at once) and whichever ones stick, great...if they fell on the floor and broke...oh well.
Ok, so I didn't throw the balls... but I'm not feeling like hanging the whole box of special ornaments. :(
:evilwitch:
Unfirebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Firebird,don't just throw them! Listen to Celtic carols,burn incence and make it a funny family activity! Yule is special and one of the reasons we put up the tree is so that it can remember us everyday untill and after Yule,what a beautiful holiday it is.

If it's not the cold that bothers you,take youre child/cousin/nephew/neighbour's child and play with him in the snow. Build a snowman, make snow angels,catch snowflakes with your tongue amd have a snowball fighting. Children can make your inner child come back to life and even "cure" depression. :fairy:
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

firebirdflys wrote:Not sure it's the weather for me, more likey past trauma trying to weasel in. I really like the brisk winter, provided I can get to a warm place when I've had enough. My butt freezes lol,
you snow folks are a hearty breed. :fairy:

Been thinking on steps to over come this and I have many strategies however yesterday you could have given me a rainbow leprechaun and his pot of gold and it wouldn't have mattered. I did bomb the house with frankincense that helped a bit.
The tree... (Yule)...was the first time I ever went to the lot and just grabbed the first one I saw, still bundled, threw it in the truck. Husband looked shocked that I didn't give a crap to even look at it first. Next I thought I'll just throw the box of balls at the tree (yeah, all at once) and whichever ones stick, great...if they fell on the floor and broke...oh well.
Ok, so I didn't throw the balls... but I'm not feeling like hanging the whole box of special ornaments. :(
:evilwitch:
Unfirebird
I'm sorry to hear this, firebirdflys! :cry:
I know how difficult it can be when one has depressive symptoms. Nothing seems to help and sometimes things that are supposed to help make you even more miserable because you become aware of your depression even more. You see that even best things can't make you happy and you fall deeper and deeper.

For me, what helps is that I know that my depressive periods come and go away. When I get one I keep telling myself that this happened to me many times before and it always went away. So I just have to wait and in a week or two I'll be fine again.
Hold on!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks, its helpful to hear from you all :fairy:

Ah yes, this too shall pass (but in the meanwhile....aaarrrrghh!)

Snow does sound fun, will have to wait till we get some up on the Tejon pass.

The smell of the tree is really soothing. Think I'll do another frankincense smoke out too,
The 2 together, yum.

Spentbird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I say, throwing ornaments at the tree could replace bowling with frozen turkeys in the store isles, FBF. You may have come up with a whole new merchandising scheme. :mrgreen:

Many,many years ago, some coworkers put on a Bah-Humbug party on our lunch hour. We named everything we despised about the season's festivities and wrote them on strips of newspaper, then made paper chains from the "curse strips" & decorated a dead branch with the chains and items filched from the trash. We had a gift exchange of things like mismatched pair of socks, a pair of frayed mittens, a rusty pie tin, a chewed rawhide dog bone, & a Santa clause voodoo doll. We laughed ourselves right out of the deep blue funk.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I like it :D
When I was in the flower shop, one year I took a branch out of the pine greens box and stuck it in a little piece of oasis in a basket, hung a red ball on the end so it drooped over and called it the Charlie Brown X-mas tree :shock: . My boss was horrified, "you can't put that on the counter" she said, eh just for a joke I argued with her. She finally gave in and wouldn't you know ....some one loved it so much they bought it. Made another, it sold, etc etc. So every year after that I would make the CB X-mas tree to acknowledge the grinch within us to kick off the maddness, though I must admit over the years the holidays are way less busy, thus less crazy, was real hard trying to squeeze in a Yule ritual with bone-fire till dawn, then work overtime for the next 3 days :annoyed:
Shortly after introducing the CB tree at my shop, they came out with a plastic one at Target!
I'm feeling somewhat better today, maybe because I've been so busy...keeps the mind on other things.
FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

SpiritTalker wrote:I say, throwing ornaments at the tree could replace bowling with frozen turkeys in the store isles, FBF. You may have come up with a whole new merchandising scheme. :mrgreen:

Many,many years ago, some coworkers put on a Bah-Humbug party on our lunch hour. We named everything we despised about the season's festivities and wrote them on strips of newspaper, then made paper chains from the "curse strips" & decorated a dead branch with the chains and items filched from the trash. We had a gift exchange of things like mismatched pair of socks, a pair of frayed mittens, a rusty pie tin, a chewed rawhide dog bone, & a Santa clause voodoo doll. We laughed ourselves right out of the deep blue funk.
That sounds hilarious ST! I love parodies of that kind! :-) it must have been a great party :-D
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

FBF, I want a CB Xms tree now. :roll:

Moon, smiley_dance
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

firebirdflys wrote: Been thinking on steps to over come this and I have many strategies however yesterday you could have given me a rainbow leprechaun and his pot of gold and it wouldn't have mattered.
One thing I like to do is make a citrine bracelet, and on the sunny days charge it with Solar power. And either wear it or save it for the snowy depressing days.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I nap a lot. It doesn't help that I get up at 0445 and get out the door before 0600. My body keep saying telling me that I should be snuggled up in bed with a cat.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Mental Health”