Anxiety and Depression

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
Moonfire

Anxiety and Depression

Post by Moonfire »

So I was recently diagnosed with Anxiety and long term low level Depression, accompanied with intense bouts of deep Depression. I'm going to a psychiatrist to work on this but with me about to start a undergrad medical program the amount that I can go in may not be consistent. The Anxiety I've already got a battle plan to manage. Usually some quick breathing exercises when I get an attack are enough to help me last through situations with little time and when I'm at home, meditation helps me as well. My problem is the Depression. Does anyone have any tricks or tools that I can use on my own to try and combat the Depression? I like to try and bring out my Dragon spirit animal but he isn't always successful.
Witchcraft-Fairy

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Witchcraft-Fairy »

Sorry, I don't have a tip or trick regarding depression, but as you mentioned your dragon spirit animal, have you ever thought of a meditation visiting your spirit animal and ask him what you could do about your depression? From what I experienced so far, it can sometimes be amazing how helpful spirit animals can be.
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Witchcraft-Fairy wrote:Sorry, I don't have a tip or trick regarding depression, but as you mentioned your dragon spirit animal, have you ever thought of a meditation visiting your spirit animal and ask him what you could do about your depression? From what I experienced so far, it can sometimes be amazing how helpful spirit animals can be.
I have not! Actually, I haven't tried visiting any of them and now I feel really stupid for not thinking of it! Thank you I will definitely give this a try! Even if he doesn't have anything to help on it, it will be nice to actually see him. :3
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Reiki helps with depression in my experience.
Myrth
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Myrth wrote:Reiki helps with depression in my experience.
I'll have to find someone who knows it. I have no experience with reiki. And from my understanding, it is difficult to learn.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

It is easy to learn. You just take a class and get an attunement.
Myrth
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Myrth wrote:It is easy to learn. You just take a class and get an attunement.
I can look into it but there commonly aren't many things of that nature near me. The closest is Atlanta, Ga. The drive of two hours is not what worries me, rather what worries me is finding someone who is actually practiced in Reiki rather than just a fraud (there's plenty of psychic frauds). I'll do some research but until then, I'll see if I can just have my spirit animals guide me through meditation.
Myriella

Post by Myriella »

As someone who has lived with depression and anxiety for a long time, I can understand what you are dealing with, and here are a few things that I find to be helpful.
On the mundane side...
1. Pay attention to what triggers your anxiety and depression and try to avoid those triggers as much as possible. For example, one surefire way for me to have a panic attack is to be in an overcrowded area. To combat this, I avoid the grocery store and gym at peak times of the day. When I can't avoid it, I drag my husband along to break through the crowds and give me some space.
2. Exercise. I hate it, but it does actually help. Find something you can at least tolerate (I love yoga), and get in the habit of going a few times a week.

On the magical side of things...
1. I find smudging and burning incense to help. As I light the smudge stick/incense, I focus on my intention of creating a positive and calm mindset. Then I watch the smoke waft away and visualize my anxiety and depression drifting away with it.
2. I second getting in touch with your guides. Even if they don't have a solution, they are there to support you. I asked mine to protect my heart, and in my darkest times, I always seem to feel them snuggled up inside me, keeping my spirit safe from the worst of my negativity.

I really hope these tips help! Hang in there, and you will get through this!
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Myriella wrote:As someone who has lived with depression and anxiety for a long time, I can understand what you are dealing with, and here are a few things that I find to be helpful.
On the mundane side...
1. Pay attention to what triggers your anxiety and depression and try to avoid those triggers as much as possible. For example, one surefire way for me to have a panic attack is to be in an overcrowded area. To combat this, I avoid the grocery store and gym at peak times of the day. When I can't avoid it, I drag my husband along to break through the crowds and give me some space.
2. Exercise. I hate it, but it does actually help. Find something you can at least tolerate (I love yoga), and get in the habit of going a few times a week.

On the magical side of things...
1. I find smudging and burning incense to help. As I light the smudge stick/incense, I focus on my intention of creating a positive and calm mindset. Then I watch the smoke waft away and visualize my anxiety and depression drifting away with it.
2. I second getting in touch with your guides. Even if they don't have a solution, they are there to support you. I asked mine to protect my heart, and in my darkest times, I always seem to feel them snuggled up inside me, keeping my spirit safe from the worst of my negativity.

I really hope these tips help! Hang in there, and you will get through this!
Thank you for these tips! Sadly, my biggest trigger is actually someone I live with-my step dad. Like its pretty bad here, honestly. There's a big problem where I feel like I can't even relax anytime he's in the house. I could be in my room STUDYING-which he...usually respects- and I STILL get so wound up, tense and anxious. I literally cannot relax in my home when he's home and I have very limited options on other places to go for a temporary escape. And I will be in this house for the next two years so...

But I can definitely try the rest of these!
Myriella

Post by Myriella »

I'm sorry to hear your home situation is so volatile. 8 years ago, I was in the exact same position when my dad remarried. My only additional suggestion is to make your room a sanctuary. I would frequently cast a "circle" that formed to the perimeter of my bedroom and banished all negative energy from that space. Then, I'd just hang out and do whatever in there. I never bothered to take it down either... I just recast it/added another layer whenever I felt my shield was weakening. I don't know how kosher that is -- I'm an eclectic, and most of what I do comes from instinct rather than anything I've read, but it certainly helped me get through a difficult time! Hang in there.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

I agree with Myriella. Cast a circle / sphere of protection and leave it up. Keep renewing it. I had to do this in a toxic workplace environment. It helps.
Myrth
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Myriella wrote:I'm sorry to here your home situation is so volatile. 8 years ago, I was in the exact same position when my dad remarried. My only additional suggestion is to make your room a sanctuary. I would frequently cast a "circle" that formed to the perimeter of my bedroom and banished all negative energy from that space. Then, I'd just hang out and do whatever in there. I never bothered to take it down either... I just recast it/added another layer whenever I felt my shield was weakening. I don't know how kosher that is -- I'm an eclectic, and most of what I do comes from instinct rather than anything I've read, but it certainly helped me get through a difficult time! Hang in there.
I'm eclectic as well so I will certainly give this a try! :3 Thank you for the tip! I'm sorry you went through a volatile situation D: I'm glad its better now.
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Myrth wrote:I agree with Myriella. Cast a circle / sphere of protection and leave it up. Keep renewing it. I had to do this in a toxic workplace environment. It helps.
I will definitely try it~ Thank you so much!
Witchcraft-Fairy

Post by Witchcraft-Fairy »

On a second thought, what might help you as well against anxiety and depression are relaxation methods,
such as meditation, progressive muscle relaxation or Autogenic Training
(http://www.autogenictraining.org/what-i ... c-training).

Or try a guided meditation - there a plenty of those online, like on Youtube (search for "guided meditation depression" for example). Guided meditations are actually better if you are a beginner at this, because you may find it hard to concentrate and not drift off into your own thoughts. (It's also often difficult to concentrate when you are depressive)
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

Witchcraft-Fairy wrote:On a second thought, what might help you as well against anxiety and depression are relaxation methods,
such as meditation, progressive muscle relaxation or Autogenic Training
(http://www.autogenictraining.org/what-i ... c-training).

Or try a guided meditation - there a plenty of those online, like on Youtube (search for "guided meditation depression" for example). Guided meditations are actually better if you are a beginner at this, because you may find it hard to concentrate and not drift off into your own thoughts. (It's also often difficult to concentrate when you are depressive)
Thank you~ I do use some guided meditations but new techniques will be very helpful! I'll check it out!

Return to “Mental Health”