Surviving Suicidal Intentions

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
firegirl

Surviving Suicidal Intentions

Post by firegirl »

I have major depressive disorder. I am currently coming out of my 3rd major depressive episode. I have been in therapy (talk and medication) for only a short time, but am 150% better than I was a month ago.
I know it sounds corny, but as I've realized my path I've been healing more and more. I was raised in a christian home, and have rejected those teachings for quite some time but never really knew what path went along with my personal feelings/beliefs.

Anyway, my point is, yes your feelings are legitimate and are real. But please, stick with it. I am proof that having suicidal intentions and constant feelings is not necessarily the end point. I want to hold and hug every single person who is hurting in that way. It is not your fault.

If anyone is depressed and wants a friend who has "been there, done that", please feel free to talk with me.

I wish you wellness and love,

Blessed Be
-FireGirl
Traumwandlerin

Re: Surviving Suicidal Intentions

Post by Traumwandlerin »

As someone who never was really suicidal, I have a question: Is it really helpful to here advices from someone who is "been there, done that"? I also never was really depressed, but I've heard, that it's impossible for someone with a depression to even imagine that there is a different and better future.

So whatever helps :) I'm just curious, is this a possible help for people who suffers from a depression to get help this way and prevent suicide?
dissimulare

Post by dissimulare »

Traumwandlerin wrote:As someone who never was really suicidal, I have a question: Is it really helpful to here advices from someone who is "been there, done that"? I also never was really depressed, but I've heard, that it's impossible for someone with a depression to even imagine that there is a different and better future.
Yes, it is. Depression is extremely painful. It feels like you have a huge weight tugging at your heart and all you want to do is to get it out (at least, that's how I felt). Looking back at my first depressive episode, I realize that the therapy never really helped. Talking to people who were once depressed never helped. But at least I got it in my mind that other people have found a way out. I think what's essential is not knowing how to make things better, but knowing that things can and will get better.
firegirl

Post by firegirl »

I know for me I found solace in a depression support chat/forum (much like this, only instead of witchcraft/paganism it was depression) while I was in my roughest places. I also know that as a teenager, having spoken with an adult who survived an attempt at suicide, I realized that life could and would change if I just gave it a chance.
Obviously I cannot speak for everyone, because each person handles things differently. But it really does help to know that you are not alone. Sometimes just having someone who knows what you are feeling, and can say the right words, can make a difference. Often times people mean well, but if they have never felt the heaviness and the pain, they simply cannot understand what it is like. That being said, everyone's depression is different, so nobody can really know exactly what someone else is going through, but can sympathize much easier and maybe know better how to handle a situation.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

I wish you the best luck in helping :) Maybe if you stick around, we should make it a sticky thread :)
Cinnamonheart

Post by Cinnamonheart »

Hey,

I've been there before quite a bit this year, and last, and the year before. Just wondering if you've been on antidepressants. They can really work sometimes, and I'd say for most people...however, it can increase suicidal thoughts in some (ironically). Ever since I stopped taking my meds, I've been less extreme. Not saying that you should stop, but perhaps maybe looking into some alternative medicines. The Crisis lines are really helpful, and I think they are free. At least where I live, there are free help lines for people dealing with this, and they are often quite resourceful. Bach Remedies have helped me too. It's energetic healing, and works in a subtle but powerful way. For example, you may not just jump up and run for a few miles, but you might find yourself less overwhelmed by the intensity. And in a few days feel a bit calmer. Most importantly I hope you are in a safe place where people care about you. I think that is the most important factor in healing, to have some sort of support system if you can, be it a family or hospital, where you can at least arrange for therapy, if you need. Pharmaceuticals, or if it suits you better, even one natural remedy to start can help a little bit in the pain. If you want to talk or anything, feel free. Some kind folks on the forum to chat to have helped me less alone too. Maybe right a list of all the things bothering you, just to get it out of your mind helps. Then you can attempt to work through each problem a little more clearly, instead of being overwhelmed with all the feelings and thoughts.

PEace love and blessings

C
firegirl

Post by firegirl »

Yes, unfortunately I was prescribed antidepressant medication. I have been on it for a little over a month. They tell me I should be on it for a year, or risk relapse. I really don't want to stay on it for long, because I believe there are safer, more effective, natural alternatives. So far massage and Reiki has had the biggest impact. For me, it also helps that Spring is upon us, and talking long walks in the woods is more feasible. I have always felt most at peace in the woods, especially if there is a river running through. :mrgreen:
But, in my personal philosophy, I believe that all experiences whether positive or negative, are for a reason. And I know that all of my suffering has made me a stronger person, so that I might help others. Everything that happens to us can be used for our benefit, you just have to take it the right way!
ravensilverbear

Post by ravensilverbear »

( in response to traumwandIerin) I survived an overdose attempt died twice in the emergency room and had to be resuscitated I do not offer advice as much as I offer an ear or shoulder we feel the weight of the world on us and it can at times be suffocating I suffer from clinical depression I have more good days than bad but you have to learn the symptoms all I want and I cant say it for all is just to be able to say hey this is what I am feeling and to be heard you don't have to validate my feelings just listen for some they stay quite about ashamed and afraid that they will be ridiculed for some post like this help us to say hey I am not alone and if this works for them or that worked for her then maybe it will work for me I think a support group would be good I cast my vote for firegirl head of the group (even tho we have not formally met)
firegirl

Post by firegirl »

Lol I'm honored that you cast your vote for me ravensilverbear. I just re-read my response and realized how much has changed in my life since then. I'm now more of a mental health advocate after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and having 2 hospitalizations within 6 weeks earlier this year. I'm on medications now, and haven't felt this good for quite some time. I still believe that holistic approaches are best, and I practice Reiki for myself and others.
My biggest thing is that so many people fear getting help because of the stigma of mental illness. I find that many people are afraid of being looked at as "the depressed person" or "that crazy girl/guy". Well, once I "came out" I found so much love and support. Please feel free to message me if anyone wants to talk.

Return to “Mental Health”