Simple view of being a Christian Witch

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
stariebird11

Simple view of being a Christian Witch

Post by stariebird11 »

very recently i have decided to go the path of a witch. But i was pulled back by my strong christian background. I have studied witchcraft for at least six months and i still don't have a firm grasp on it as a whole. But the more I've learned the more comfortable i am to call myself a Christian Witch. MANY Christians (including my parents) see any religions outside of Christianity as disgraceful and full of sin. Even as a little girl i have had sympathy for other religions and did not contain hate toward them. And as i explore the depths of this religion i realize how Christianity and Witchcraft have much in common. People believe that mixing the two religions together can't possibly work because of the wall of hatred toward each other. But if you simplify each religion to the very bones you will see that they are practically the same. The same things apply: don't hurt others, do bad biddings, and live your life peacefully. PEACEFULLY is the keyword here. How can we live peacefully if we shun those outside our belief systems? We are all human at heart and we shouldn't dwell on the bloody past between one another.

A witch is simply a person who is a individual who respects all nature and enjoys a free mind. The same things apply to Christians except we are not as close to our universe. Being a witch has brought me closer to nature and my inner self. Now there is the talk of Gods and Goddesses. I believe that God is like the horned one. Except the gods and goddesses are like branches off of a tree. All together they ARE God. I know this can be disputed and is kind of hard to wrap your mind around but it all comes together somehow.

Then there is Heaven and Hell. I still believe in heaven, but that's just me. Who really knows what it will be like? No one knows till they're there.

So I say to you - pagans, Wiccans, Christians alike - Don't look at the differences, look at the relations and embrace them. Life would be so much easier that way :D
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain
-Unknown
Truthseeker

Re: Simple view of being a Christian Witch

Post by Truthseeker »

Merry meet Stariebird11 :) I went through the transition, too. after being in Christian ministry for almost 30 years. There was a lot to me that did not ring true. I have been actively traveling my Path now for about 2 years. I suppose you could say I am a christian witch, however I really cringe whenever I use the word 'christian' because it has such a negative connotation to me. I consider myself a pagan follower of Jesus, a natural (born) witch, with a lot of wiccan tendancies :)
In exploring my Path I have realized that I am what I am and have been my entire life, I just did not know. I am finally at the age of 52 (tomorrow actually!) finally owning my God/dess given giftings and becoming comfortable and happy with it all. Acceptance has been a great freeing experience for me. I finally , just in the last month took the plunge (terrified for the worst from family and friends-) and came out of the 'broom closet'. It was ok- no one reacted like I feared.
You are absolutely right- if everyone would stop listening to what "they" say, ("they" are generally full of **** and haven't a clue what they are even talking about) if everyone would stop just taking someone else's mis-information as gospel they would realize that witches more closely live as Jesus taught than any 4 out of 5 'God fearing christians' do.
Blessed Be~~~
AshSelene

Post by AshSelene »

Everything that you have said is Exactly true Stariebird11 ....

As you said, "All together they are God"
That is so true bc God is Within Everything, including Us.
I enjoyed your Peace of mind.
Blessed be! :)
stariebird11

Post by stariebird11 »

Merry Meet to you two and thank you for the feedback! i was a little afraid i was going to far out on a limb :D Truthseeker you brought up an aspect i never thought about. If you really think about it, we really are living closer to the way Jesus lived. We bring positive energy into the world in a different way to benefit ones self or others. Doesn't that ring a bell :) I liked how you said "God fearing christians." i bet about a third of christians are going to church simply because they are afraid of hell. Fear shouldn't be the outline of your beliefs. but altogether i love my mix religion and i'm really enjoying finding myself on this path. OH! happy Early Birthday :D
**!Brightest Blessings to you two!**
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain
-Unknown
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Stariebird, I am constantly amazed by the people who consider themselves christians and are all the time "quoting" scriptures and they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Half of the stuff they swear is in the Bible ISN'T!!
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Christian Wicca. There are many Christian witches in the world, and it's not as unusual as some might think for a person to practice witchcraft while still worshiping Jesus Christ and following many Bible teachings (at least as many of them as the majority of Christians follow.)

I appreciate you explaining it from your own point of view. A lot of Christian witches need to hear that it's okay to be both.

Bright blessings,
Starwitch
stariebird11

Post by stariebird11 »

thanks for the kind words Starwitch :D Sorry it took me so long to reply, haven't been paying attention to my posts lately. Truthseeker your very right about that! Alot of times it almost like they make up laws to tell us. But you just have to keep a clear mind and not let it get to you... although it can be very hard at times! :D
-Unknown
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Hey Starie...first off, the quote in your sig, my motto in life. ^^ Secondly, I really enjoyed reading your view as a Christian Witch. I'm nearing the one year mark since I decide to step onto the path of a witch. I went back and read my intro post. It's funny, because initally my plan WAS to be a Christian witch. but I kind of pushed aside the whole Christian thing. But I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and am thinking of just going back to the beginning with my beliefs...rethink it all, and consider the idea of being a Christian witch again. I'm feeling very off-balance and not as at peace as I initally felt when I made the decision to be a witch. Maybe it's because I felt like I had to choose? Either way, thanks for the post.
stariebird11

Post by stariebird11 »

Hey Thistle glad you liked it :D and also I am going through the same thing as you are. Right now, I feel like I should focus on one path, but then again I don't really want to give up the other. Although, I know that if it came down to it, I would choose Wicca and witchcraft. Like you, I decided to be a Christian Witch. It is 100% possible to go that path, but you always have these moments of doubt. Hope you can find peace in your spiritual path and feel confident with it :)
~*Brightest Blessings*~
-Unknown
sanoyikamama

Post by sanoyikamama »

stariebird11 wrote:Hey Thistle glad you liked it :D and also I am going through the same thing as you are. Right now, I feel like I should focus on one path, but then again I don't really want to give up the other. Although, I know that if it came down to it, I would choose Wicca and witchcraft. Like you, I decided to be a Christian Witch. It is 100% possible to go that path, but you always have these moments of doubt. Hope you can find peace in your spiritual path and feel confident with it :)
~*Brightest Blessings*~
First, witchcraft and Wicca are not one in the same. Witchcraft is an art(like painting or creating music), not a religion. Wicca is simply a religion that involves aspects of witchcraft. While Wicca does introduce many to witchcraft and it has pieces that ring people, you don't have pick and choose or meld religious beliefs in order to practice witchcraft. Witchcraft, like an art form, can be a hand to help you get closer to religion as well as express it. I know witches you live very much by their bibles and still are amazing witches, so if you love your faith of Christianity and the practice of witchcraft, you don't need to divide them, as they can be one and the same, you just have to make it you own, as any real witch does with their beliefs and their craft. Also, you might find Hoodoo interesting as well as some New Orleans Voodoo, as much of it involves witchcraft and Christian beliefs.
stariebird11

Post by stariebird11 »

Ohh thanks for correcting me! I always end up explaining them as the same. Right now I am only practicing witchcraft, but I do follow the Wiccan Rede and am slowly transitioning myself to the Wiccan religion. Thanks for the suggestions on the Hoodoo and N.O. Voodoo i'll make sure to look into that as well. At the moment, I have been straying away from Christianity but am trying to recollect my beliefs. Thanks for the insight :)
~*Brightest Blessings*~
-Unknown
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I've noticed that people do that. I've always had to correct people...I follow the harm none but I am not Wiccan. Just a witch. Or I say Pagan but as I' m reevaluating, I'm just saying witch. I think I felt like I HAD to focus on just one path...I spent years as a Christian, and the past year as a Pagan but now it's time to find balance. My tarot deck even tells me this. lol I'm definitely going to be looking into Hoodoo and NO Voodoo as well. Thanks for those suggestions. ^^
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Merry meet :) I too have been slowly definining my path. I know this will generate a storm of controversy but at this time I see my path as Christo-wicca. I follow the Rede, I am firmly convinced that there must be a God AND a Goddess, Father and Mother. The Holy Spirit was originally a female Diety. (no I'm not Gnostic, I just discovered this information in my own studies of scripture and translations) I can elaborate if needed but I won't right now. I feel that most witches live more like Jesus taught than so-called christians do, in every way. The gentleness and tolerance Wicca teaches sounds like what he promoted to me. He came to show us the way we should live. But I AM a witch. Anyone can argue if they want, I don't want to - that is one of the main reasons I left 'christianity' as it is represented today- everybody thinks they are the only one who is right. So--- here I am-- Christo-pagan/Wiccan. A walking contradiction? No, not at all. It seems to fit together very well to me. I was born with the gifts I have- I feel a much stronger connection to God/dess now than I ever did in 30 years of christian ministry. I was afraid of God and felt like I could never do enough or do it 'right'. Now after seeking my path for over two years I am more comfortable knowing that (S)He can relate to me as a feminine being. This is just me. Hope it helps somebody else.
~~Blessings~
stariebird11

Post by stariebird11 »

Nicely said Truthseeker. You sound very much like how I am at the moment. We aren't walking contradictions at all, we are simply following our own spiritual path and I agree with you 100% with your view on the whole (S)He. Even when I was little and didn't know anything about Wicca or witchcraft, I believed that Mother Nature was God's wife :D I just knew inside that there had to be a feminine being as well. I, too, never felt like I did anything right in the churches, and I still don't, but I feel better knowing that, like you said, I am living more like the way Jesus did. Your comment really helped me get back on track with my path, Thank you!
~*Brightest Blessings*~
-Unknown
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

That was well put, truthseeker. I was doing some reading. I think part of it is how people define what makes one Christian. I would say in my opinion most Christians aren't truely Christian. I believe there was a quote by Ghandi-"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." That's really what it comes down to, doesn't it? They don't really follow the example of Jesus. I feel like one can be Christian, without really being 'Christian'. IF that makes any sense. Still working my thoughts out. But I like the idea of being a Christian Witch. I can hold on to my roots, but still follow my heart. ^^

I'm really glad I came back on this site and looked in this section again; found this thread. It's really starting to help me see things a bit more clearly. I'm still a bit from finding balance but it's a start.

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”