triquetra symbol_

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
Truthseeker

triquetra symbol_

Post by Truthseeker »

I make hand-crafted jewelry, and I have a question concerning the triquetra symbol. How significant is the circle in the triquetra as concerning christo-pagan symbolism? I have seen them with and without but I don't want to leave it out if it is a very crucial element of the design.
MoonlitOrchid

Re: triquetra symbol_

Post by MoonlitOrchid »

Christian Symbolism:
The Triquetra represents the Holy Trinity: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The unbroken circle represents eternity. The interwoven nature of the symbol denotes the indivisibility and equality of the Holy Trinity. It symbolizes that the Holy Spirit is three beings of power, honor, and glory but is indivisibly one God.
Pagan/Wiccan/Goddess Symbolism:
The Triquetra represents the threefold nature of the Goddess as virgin, mother and crone.
It symbolizes life, death, and rebirth and the three forces of nature: earth, air, and water. The inner three circles represent the female element and fertility.
I copied and pasted this info from museumoftalkingboards.com I hope it helps. You should post some pics: )
EyeOfIsis

Re: triquetra symbol_

Post by EyeOfIsis »

Basically, when early Christians were trying to convert Pagans, they tried to make the transition as easy as possible. For example, many Christian holidays were placed on holy Pagan days, so that it would be easier for Pagans to make the transition. This symbol was one of these transformations. They used a symbol that symbolized a three fold goddess, and changed it's meaning to represent the Christian trinity.

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”