Witches in the closet???

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
Truthseeker

Witches in the closet???

Post by Truthseeker »

I want to know something- I live here in the south, in NC and I am surrounded by rabid christians (some don't realize that is what they are, they are trying to be what they are taught that they are SUPPOSED to be). I came from such a background (and never really fit in, imagine that! LOL) Anyway- are there any others out there like me who feel the need to hide the fact that they are witches from those around them? It makes me feel like what I dispise the most- a hypocrit- but I feel I have no choice. My youngest daughter is the only one I have confided in. We came out of a horrible "ministerial family"- my ex-husband is still a pastor and both my fiance' and myself come from families who consider themselves upright, God-fearing, Bible beleiving folks(even though most of them never darken the doors of any church) complete with a sprinkling of very devout (and in the case of one or two, very real) practicing ministers. Any feedback. It is hard to deal with, I do not like pretense and fakeness- heck I wont even have artificial flowers sitting around my house, LOL!, but not even my fiance' knows I am a witch. I feel like most would be horrified and I just don't really have the desire to get into it with any of them- I went through enough through the years with my ex. I just want to live and let live. Am I wrong for feeling this way about it or should I stand up and say 'here I am accept it'?
Ula

Re: Witches in the closet???

Post by Ula »

Tough call. Only my husband on one friend know about what I do. My mother knows I meditate. They are not necessary rabid Christians but would be totally against witchcraft for lack of understanding. Some I know will just make fun of it. I am getting to a point where I don't necessary need to come out but just not hide it. I keep my altar hidden but am thinking of putting it out and leaving it. I guess it depends on whether or not you think it will be used against you. I do wish you luck. It's very hard to not be your self. I know.
Evanthe

Post by Evanthe »

I wouldn't worry about the labels, just be yourself. I'm in a very conservative area, too. If anyone asks, I tell then that it rhymes with bitch and laugh. They get really confused and leave me alone.
Evanthe
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
-C.S Lewis
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Well- everybody knows I am 'different' (weird?) LOL...
Mockingjay

Post by Mockingjay »

Evanthe wrote: If anyone asks, I tell then that it rhymes with bitch and laugh. They get really confused and leave me alone.
LOL :lol: but (@newtruthseeker)I think your fiance should know. A marriage doesnt do well when there are secrets or things you dont know about eachother. The community however dont need to know. Its none of their business.
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Well, he knows I am different (eccentric/downright weird? LOL) and he knows my beleifs are not like everyone elses and he tells me he loves me because I am who I am, especially because I AM different. He knows I am into gems and crystals and spirits and such, heck I've even managed to convince him it's all real. But to come out and say "Honey- I am a witch" scares the s**t out of me.Mostly because I am afraid he will REALLY think I'm a fruitcake for sure, not because he would turn away from me thinking I am evil.I recently took the plunge and introduced him to a friend on facebook who doesn't live near us, who is also a witch (and very outward about it). I asked him if it bothered him that I have a friend who is a witch and his answer was 'honey,it doesn't bother me one bit, I don't care if your friend is a witch'. I guess I am a chicken-witch lol. Well- I have only recently in the past year come to terms with it myself.
Evanthe

Post by Evanthe »

I'm really not that in to labels, myself. I still struggle with terms that define us because the world may have a different understanding of what that may be. If he's cool with you practicing then it sounds like he understands that stuff is a part of who you are. If it's really important to you to have that label then I think you should explain what all that stuff means to you and what it's *gasp* called. It doesn't sound like it will freak him out.
Evanthe
-C.S Lewis
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

You know-he and I were talking about something entirely different yesterday. And he always surprises me with his perception. I had been trying to be nice about a situation with his brother, who is a raging alcoholic and has recently moved back in with their mother at the age of 51. She will not allow him to drink there and so he designated OUR house as his 'go to' place. My fiance' felt put on the spot (he is a recovering alcoholic himself) and felt some responsibility for his brother and so let him come here a couple of times to keep him off the roads. I understood and I didn't make any fuss but I DID NOT want him here drinking. After a couple of times my honey had enough and the day before yesterday his brother made a comment to him (they work together) that he was 'looking for a place to drink a few tonight"- well , my baby turned and looked at him and said "you're not talking to ME" and he walked away and left it at that. So--- he told me about it and he said "I know I don't like it and I know you SURE don't like it and I don't want it here and I don't want it coming between us and causing problems" I thought I had been so smooth and hid my feelings about it. HMMM? He told me I can't hide anything from him (and we have an agreement that we won't) Anyway- I am making a point here, LOL. Last night a friend of ours was here and I was looking at another friend of mine's facebook pics and our friend noticed her witchy pics and asked about her. When I told him she is a sure enough witch he freaked about it but my fiance' said "hey man, you need to listen to her (me), witches aren't like you think, some of their stuff is really cool and fascinating". So he was defending my friend the witch. I have kind of dropped a zillion hints here and there but I've never came out and said-"honey, I'm a witch" but he listens to me all the time talking about the things I beleive and he doesn't blink an eye (he used to but now he acts like I make perfect sense).I used to be married to a very strict pentecostal minister who constantly told me I was satan's handmaiden and the man I am with now is so loving and accepting , sometimes it just bowls me over. I am sure the time will cme right for us to discuss this too. **SIGH**
mist

Post by mist »

I wish I could be of help. I live in New England (USA) and I still can't tell anyone. I told one friend and she turned her back on me. That was it. Never again. She's from an African nation and I know many of them are strict Christians, but she really seemed to be much more loose and accepting in her beliefs. That's why I thought I'd take the chance. It back fired on me.

Like you, I've been slowly spoon feeding info to my husband about energy, more than one God, space aliens, etc. I feel bad that I have to keep my beliefs from everyone else, but it might be that this is what the Goddess wants for me for whatever reason.
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

I couldn't decide where to post so here goes--
I AM SO OUT OF THE BROOM CLOSET!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I broke down and told my fiance' (whom I live with. Which has made it very difficult to keep it hidden) And after all my agonizing over it and worrying about his reaction ( I honestly envisioned worst case scenario after worst case scenario, LOL)
His reaction?? " well honey, if you're a witch, you're MY witch and I don't care WHAT anyone else thinks. I love YOU for who you are. You have to decide for yourself what you believe."
~~~~sigh~~~~~ :D
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

I guess this is the best place to post this since I started this one-
I AM SO OUT OF THE BROOM CLOSET!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I broke down and told my fiance' ( we live together and it has been very hard to keep it a secret- plus the fact that we just don't keep secrets from one another, we agreed a long time ago to never keep things from each other)
But, anyway- when I told him he looked at me and said-"so- if you are a witch you are MY witch and I don't care WHAT anyone else thinks. You have to decide for yourself what you believe in."
I am so relieved.

~~~~SIGH~~~~ ( :kiss: to my honey)
Evanthe

Post by Evanthe »

I just checked in on this post the other day to see if you'd told him yet. I'm so glad that you were able to be honest with him. We knew that he was a good one and wouldn't have a problem with it. Good for you!
Evanthe
-C.S Lewis
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

How did you know? [that made me tear up :) ] He really IS a good one. I should have known better. Now I want to ask him if he had figured it out already anyway (and me trying so hard and worrying my butt off), usually he does.
Amethyst_Stargazer

Post by Amethyst_Stargazer »

Awww I'm so glad you were able to tell him!! Funny thing, I was interested in all of this for years, but was scared to venture forth. I finally started looking into it more, only to discover that the man I'd been talking to/dating for months is a Witch himself! Now he's encouraging me in my research and learning and trying to figure out how to harness my own abilities (which I seem to be getting better at!). So he's not the problem.

I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt... Pretty much everyone I work with is STAUNCHLY Christian. For instance, I was reading "Journey of Souls" at work and someone asked me what it was about. So I explained that it's about what happens to the soul and reincarnation and things like that. Someone else came along and asked what I was reading...and a guy who overheard me talking about it to the first person said "A load of bullshit". So I asked "What makes it bullshit? What makes it ANY DIFFERENT than Christians believing the soul survives death and goes to heaven or hell??". He said "The difference is...." and then shut up for 5 minutes. Finally, he said "The difference is, there are people who have had near-death experiences and have come back and described heaven and hell". So I said "Okay, but there are experiences of those who have been regressed through their past lives and can describe them as well as the afterlife in detail and they didn't have to be clinically dead to do it, their soul just remembered...so again, what makes it bullshit? If you believe one, why can't you believe the other?". No answer...and he's avoided me ever since lol.

Another woman was talking about how she believes in witches and how her husbands aunt is a witch and she's so evil and she curses people and so she "stays away from her!". I very gently explained that not all people who claim to be witches really are and that there are rules to this kind of thing (specifically the Wiccan Rede and the Rule of Three). She looked at me all shocked and said "Boy, you know an awful lot about witches, huh??". I just smiled and said "yeah, kind of".

I've wanted to bring some of my books to work so I have something to do in my down time, but I can't because everyone I work with is pretty nosy and is constantly asking "What are you reading there??". The last thing I need is for them to see "Magic for the Kitchen Witch" or "The Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen". I don't need workplace hostility because of what I believe.
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

For Amethyst- I know what you mean. I live in NC and it seems EVERYONE is a 'christian'- even those who never darken the doors of a church. And they are all full of "knowledge" about what the Bible says about this or that (most of the things people "quote" aren't even remotely in there!). Having been in christian ministry for almost 30 years I've seen it all and heard it all. I had a real problem keeping my beliefs a secret from my fiance'. I felt like it would be a betrayal for me if he kept such a serious issue from me and so I felt VERY wrong about hiding it from him. I was so relieved to be able to tell him if not really anyone else. My daughter knows, heck she is one too although she doesn't claim the title exactly, LOL.
As far as telling anyone else- well that is a very touchy thing to me. I don't care for the hassle. I have tried to figure out HOW to define my beliefs if anyone asks, I am a very honest person, and so I don't feel right about outright lying about it. (if you don't ask won't voluntarily offer up the info!). So I have come to the conclusion that I am a Pagan follower of the teachings of Jesus. (he would have made a good pagan, in my opinion) There's a lot more to it than that,but...
I am very comfortable in my progress though. It is MUCH easier when you don't have to hide from EVERYONE!
OHH! This morning at breakfast my honey surprised me. He works outside and he said, "why don't you 'do something' and make it rain all day so I won't have to work today" !!! I thought it was funny. He is so practical and not very verbal when it comes to spiritual things. :D

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”