Explanation Requested

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
SingingCanyon

Explanation Requested

Post by SingingCanyon »

Would someone explain their beliefs as a Christian Witch? I'm greatly interested to know.
I am the voice of the past that will always be,
Filled with my sorrows and blood in my fields.
I am the voice of the future,
Bring me your peace,
Bring me your peace and my wounds,
They will heal.
-Celtic Woman

Blessed Be,
Singing☾anyon
mamma bear

Re: Explanation Requested

Post by mamma bear »

Well I do feel it is different for everyone. You really have to find your own way on it. But I am willing to share some so that it may help you in your journey. For myself I am still figuring this all out. I dont really consinder myself a witch simply because I really dont forsee me getting into the rituals. I guess you could really say I am more pagen then christian and that my god of choice happens to be the christian god. As well as his son and Mary. I harbor no ill toward any one that believes in any other gods/goddesses and have always felt that way. I still pray to god. Really not a whole lot has changed for me except that i'm ok with where i'm at with my believes now. I practice readings with my oracle and tarot cards. I dont believe that my god will forsake me for this.

So this is kind of a simple eplaination of how it works for me. Hope this helps.
Mamma Bear
Make no mistakes...I will protect my young!
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I hope I'm not too late in giving my two cents on the matter. While I am not a Christian witch and never was, for my own quirky reasons, I feel the need to defend them if that is what they choose to practice. Part of my explanation for this is in my thread titled "Melting the Fear." In my case, for a while, I practiced a form of New Age Christian Mysticism. Adding to mamma bear's comment, I had come to an agreement with the Hindu story about the blind men describing the giant elephant. There is more to the giant elephant than the little point on the right tusk. :) I practiced a bit of New Age Christian Mysticism myself for a while. I go in and out of it. Like mamma bear, I almost never cast spells but prefer instead to use meditation practices and occasionally read my tarot cards. I also pay very close attention to my dreams, if and when I can remember them. Recently my infatuation has been with Enki. By historical accounts, he was one of the original Elohim and so for all practical purposes, I am still keeping with familiarity in my own quirky way. I see him as sympathetic towards people, a creative problem-solver, a courageous sort that will go "where angels dare not tread," and he is very respectful of feminine power too. Just my POV.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
mist

Post by mist »

All I can add is that we (Christians/Christian witches) know that the Bible has been altered over the centuries. We know that Jesus preached about reincarnation and psychic powers, but that was taken out of the Bible over the centuries by church authorities who didn't want the 'common man' to be more powerful than they were. They added in things like, "The Lord detests psychics" because they wanted to use mind control to have power over the general public. Hey, the Lord doesn't detest anyone. Anyway, some of us follow the original teachings of Jesus: reincarnation & developing your psychic abilities.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

If I understand Quakerism correctly, a lot of Quakers (or at least the more liberal ones) believe that revelations still happen and one can receive direct, unmediated guidance by the Spirit. I had been brought up on the Bible verses such as "Where there be prophecies, these shall cease. Where there be laying on of hands ("faith healing"), these shall cease" etc etc etc. In other words, no more "miracles" or "revelations" for anyone. I had been taught that everything had been aleady revealed that needed to be revealed and that it was all about research and faith from now on. Talk about feeling abandoned and empty. It got me thinking when I had come across "bibliolatry" comments on YouTube as well. It is no suprise to me, looking back, how easily I stepped into ways such as Deism and even "Christian Atheism" for lack of better words as I learned more and had a lot of my indoctrinations debunked. (Yes, there are self-proclaimed Christian Atheists out there.) One example of my old indoctrinations was a very literal interpretation of Genesis, a literal six-day creation with literal Adam and Eve.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

mist

Post by mist »

Peregrine wrote: (Yes, there are self-proclaimed Christian Atheists out there.)
This sounds paradoxical, but I don't doubt that there are such people out there. What do they believe? Do they believe in the teachings of Christ, but believe that he was a man, not a god/man? Just curious because this is the first I've heard of them.
Ula

Post by Ula »

I believe gnostic Christian principles of a creator (father) and the holy spirit (female) as given in the testaments of Christ. I believe in other beings such as angels, demons, deities, etc. These deities are legitimate energies and can be called on for aide and assist you. Most pantheons have deities that represent virtues and personalities of just about anyone. I have a patron goddess, Frau Holda who I found and became very attracted to. She represents the land of my ancestors as a German deity and mother, wife. I don't think a 'typical' Christian would consider me one. I consider myself pagan.

I engage in spell craft. Using symbols, herbs, energy and chants to alter energy for a desired outcome. That makes me what I call a witch.

My craft and faith are somewhat separate but work together well.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

mist wrote:
This sounds paradoxical, but I don't doubt that there are such people out there. What do they believe? Do they believe in the teachings of Christ, but believe that he was a man, not a god/man? Just curious because this is the first I've heard of them.
If I understand them correctly, it is secular Christianity to the extreme. I've heard of secular Jews and secular Muslims who do the same thing. A way known as Ethical Culture was started by a rabbi and it has been around a while. They have a very humanistic and very "thou shalt have compassion and self-discipline" approach to life. The Bible is not an inerrant work of divine inspiration, but instead the ideals represented by Jesus are the guidelines to living. Church is not literal worship but more like social support structure. I saw someone on YouTube for a while that posted as "ChristianAtheist" and seemed like a nice guy. There's a short article briefly defining it on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

mist

Post by mist »

Peregrine wrote:
mist wrote:
If I understand them correctly, it is secular Christianity to the extreme. I've heard of secular Jews and secular Muslims who do the same thing. A way known as Ethical Culture was started by a rabbi and it has been around a while. They have a very humanistic and very "thou shalt have compassion and self-discipline" approach to life. The Bible is not an inerrant work of divine inspiration, but instead the ideals represented by Jesus are the guidelines to living. Church is not literal worship but more like social support structure. I saw someone on YouTube for a while that posted as "ChristianAtheist" and seemed like a nice guy. There's a short article briefly defining it on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism
Wow, that was a groundswell of information! I didn't know about any of that. It was very interesting to read.

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”