"christian"/"former christian" witches

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
Truthseeker

"christian"/"former christian" witches

Post by Truthseeker »

Hi. I may not have this posted in the right place, I don't know, feel free to redirect. I was not raised as a Christian but came to christianity around the age of ten when my very racist parents discovered that the local "christian" private school did not allow blacks to attend there and so promptly enrolled me.(I live in the south, this attitude unfortunately is the prevailing one in my region,and one I have always disagreed with) I spent the next 3 years being indoctrinated, getting expelled, going to public school, and then being taken to church (VERY strict, pentecostal), wound up being married to a minister (read "monster" for 29 more years of mental and spiritual abuse and rigid control). I have always felt even as a child, very strong alliance with nature, the earth and the things I was drilled are wrong for a christian to even consider. I am now seeking, exploring that part of me that I denied for so many years. I still believe in "the Higher power", God - if you will- the Creator, the Supreme One. I see that the bible WAS written by men and sorely manipulated by men. As I said- I am seeking. Seeking truth and answers. I have some kind of "knowing", the only way I can describe it. My daughter also has this. I FEEL the earth, nature. I FEEL things before they happen- no i do not tel the future nor do I wish to. I feel there is something more inside of me and truth out there for me to learn. I need understanding, i need knowledge. I WANT truth.
I guess my point of posting this is this- Iwould like to hear from others who have similar backgrounds- either former christians or still practicing christians who have been down this path or are goiung down it now. I'd like to hear your thoughts, feelings and beleifs on this and how you came to your answers as a "believer' in God and Jesus and how you reconcile it, and keep it while yet acknowledging that there is more and not denying the Creator and the teachings of Jesus. I want to know about the 'power' (again for lack of better description) I feel inside me, the connections I know I have with the earth and my conciousness and awareness of the spirit side of things. Any takers? I've ben reading here for several months now -almost a year and see so much i connect and identify with. (even the anti-christian "bashers" I understand where you are coming from, LOL- I guess I am one too to a great extent)- but I really need to hear from others like me who are "?awakening?" (or have already) and how your search has progressed and your conclusions for those who have reached them.
mamma bear

Re: "christian"/"former christian" witches

Post by mamma bear »

Ok I will bite....In the last few months I have gone from thinking maybe another god is the way to go to...nope still really connected to The God. (grew up Catholic) I'm starting to wrap my mind around what I actually fully believe. It is a journey. I definately have issues with the church. I dont go weekly...actually I think I'm down to only going to Mass for funerals and weddings. But I still pray. I just have issues with the whole alterboy/priest issues they seem to have and the definate contriditions they have. The God I choose to believe in is not as judgemental as some other christian sects beleive. So maybe I beleive in more of a higher power. I dont know I'm still working that all out. But even growing up I always thought when ever some one said well our way is the only way to beleive how can that be. There are so many that are not catholic because they were not raised this way so because of this they are going hell...I just could not see it that way. Ok so I'm rambling some I know. And for those that will chime in with the well according to your bible your going to hell...I really dont see it the same way so blast away. I'm not versed in the bible as extensively as some are. So no I'm not looking to debate what it says or means. And I dont think I need to follow the bible by the letter to believe in God. I think it was more meant as a guild to your life by teaching morals. As with any book it is written in referrence of the times it was written in.
Mamma Bear
Make no mistakes...I will protect my young!
Asch

Post by Asch »

I was raised Christian, bounced from various protestant and even a messianic judaism congregation. At some point I realized that I just didn't believe in the Christian God and hadn't since I was very small and started to realize that majority of the 'godly' people I'd run across were at best extremely shady and hypocritical not to mention the raging bigotry and fear coursing through the religion, I'm not comfortable being a mindless automaton and having someone expecting me to check my intelligence at the door. Especially when they kept trying to convince me to convert my father (whom I love dearly we're best friends) or watch him burn in hell. Yeah way to go guys.

When I was in my teens I found out that my family name is quite old and Scottish and I grew very interested in Celtic thinking, art, music, history and religion. I always circled the pagan world and as I grew older it felt more and more right to me. My Mother was a devout Christian and she passed away in July '06. Her death shocked us as she was very very healthy and went from having a mild stroke to gone in 29 days and I missed her as I was stationed in Japan and her doctors didn't know how severe her condition was until it was too late. Inevitably that got me questioning faith again and how she would view my choices. In the end I decided that as she was a history major in life, and my oldest brother is largely Buddhist - yet they were extremely close - she would understand and accept it.

All that said, it is an immensely personal path, I think you can stay Christian and work with herbs for homeopathy, Christians can meditate and maybe even work with energy and remain Christian, but if a 'Christian' casts a spell they have to accept the consequences according to that faith, again this is just my opinion.

I hope this helps you out, feel free to ask any questions :)
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess the ?'s are about the same for all on this journey. At least it looks that way to me. :)
Peaceful Soul

Post by Peaceful Soul »

Well, as a "Christian" myself, I am studying wichcraft and very much enjoying it. God gave us the power of seeking, gave us questions and tells us how to find answers. I guess all you need to do is follow what you believe is right. Besides, the actual definition of Christian is "a follower of Christ". So technically, if that is the way you wish to take it, you can practice wichcraft and still worship Jesus. And about the consequences, the only concequence you might have is if you don't follow your heart. God gave us freewill and compassion. He willed us to explore as much as we can, gave us knowledge and so much more. Just remember: if you believe in God, and hold him above all other gods you also worship, it is not a sin. For got said, "You shall not worship any other gods before me" Taken literally (as stated before, if you wish to take it that way) it says you may worship other gods, just not above God himself. I hope you found an answer in this, and if not you keep looking until you find one, and you go with what you believe.
mamma bear

Post by mamma bear »

Very well said Peaceful Soul
Mamma Bear
Make no mistakes...I will protect my young!
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

I also agree Peaceful Soul.Very well said. Thank you. Your post pretty well sums up how I am coming to feel and believe. :)
Peaceful Soul

Post by Peaceful Soul »

I am glad I could help.
laruna

Post by laruna »

It is good that i learned this. When i first found myself being drawn to this, i was really having a bit of a major meltdown about the whole concept of what i was doing. (This is still pretty fresh in my mind because i only started seriously considering this path in life in April.) I was struggling a lot to align my beliefs, and having nightmares. I think it was particularly hard because my family is NOT religious. I had to go out from a very early age and make myself enough of a part of a church that i could be accepted as the adult representative of myself and my family from the time i was about 11. So when i started hearing another little voice whispering in my mind that maybe something was still missing i went too look for it, and when i found it it scared me. I can honestly say that i can remember the EXACT line of text that reassured me more than just about anything else i have ever read, even if i cannot quite remember where it came from. 'Of course, there are many deities and pantheons to choose from. There are even self proclaimed Christian-Witches, if you can believe it.' It was like manna for me.
Ula

Post by Ula »

I'm a Christian. A Gnostic Christian. The belief is that the Old Testament god is not the same as the one Christ speaks of. The Holy Spirit is feminine. This is a pagan Christianity and does not keep me from having Frau Holda as my patron. Christ himself did magic but they are called miracles so to not tie them to pagan workings. If trying to do both makes you uncomfortable then by all means find the one you are drawn to and go with it. I haven't had that yet.
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

You know, I'm just getting comfortable with it all. I haven't really summed it all up but as my 'name' signifies- I AM seeking. And I feel like I am getting some answers. It makes me feel sooooo much better about God to have learned that the Holy Spirit is female. It makes so many things make more sense to me and also makes me feel like , 'well maybe "God" is more approachable than the male diety sitting up there looking down on us all'- and it puts a whole different light on something I always wondered about- If as the bible says God created man IN HIS OWN IMAGE- MALE AND FEMALE CREATED HE THEM- then hmmm--??? if He had no female aspect or attributes then where did the model for us females come from? Researching the original words that King James translated you find out a lot that the higher ups in organized so-called christianity don't want us to know (and certainly don't want us to question) . I am gun-shy of the label 'christian' anymore, so I think of myself as a believer instead. I don't really care to be associated with what 'passes' for christianity these days, especiallly after being in 'christian ministry' for 30 years. Most wouldn't recognize Jesus or what he was TRYING to teach if he walked up to them on the sidewalk in person.They would crucify him all over again for being anti-church and rebellious.
Peaceful Soul

Post by Peaceful Soul »

Truthseeker,
You are absolutely right. So many people fear the eternal punishment of Hell that they would kill an innocent man to keep from sinning, which is completely hypocritical (I find most of the bible hypocritical, especially what Got asks certain men to do. If anyone would like to discuss those points furthur, please Private Message me so we do not offend anybody). To keep my post as unoffensive as possible, I will use a quote, I honestly forget who it is by, that sums up the way the Christian (Chrisitan-n.-Follower of the teaching of the messiah, Jesus Christ. Very few people realise that Catholics are Christians as well) Church sees things versus the way Jesus wanted them to: "If Jesus was here now, there is one thing he would not be: a Christian."

If you would like to discuss that furthur, again please private message me, because after that quote things get offensive, and I do not like offending people that I do not know well. My personal belief is "Live and let live to each their own." If anyone has any questions regarding religion at all, please feel free to e-mail me when you get the chance. (to get my e-mail, please Private Message me. I do not want people to spam message me if I can avoid it.) I can answer questions on the following about religion:
~Beliefs
~Paths
~If you are on the right path (based on your overall beliefs)
Plus I enjoy religious arguments because you always end up with a different viewpoint.

I highly encourage you to P.M. me at any time, I will get back to you as soon as I can. I really hate being so wordy.

Have a wounderful day, and Blessed Be!
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Merry meet Peaceful Soul :) I appreciate the words. I agree with you. If Jesus were here today he'd be doing the same thing he did then-trying to tear the hypocritical church down off its man-made throne.
Peace. Love and Blessings to you~~~

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”