I am sick of Christians preaching at us

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
Sage50

Re: I am sick of the Christians on this site...can't pagans

Post by Sage50 »

I haven't saw or heard about Jesus talking about Riencarnation, what i have read in the bible about death is he said they sleep.
When Time is at it pivotal; all answers will be spoken; all tongues will be silent; all hearts will be joyful; all will come to past; even as it is ending it shall be beginning so let it be.
mist

Post by mist »

Song_Bird wrote:I haven't saw or heard about Jesus talking about Riencarnation, what i have read in the bible about death is he said they sleep.
You haven't heard about it because most Christians haven't heard about it because it was taken out of the Bible by Constantine hundreds of years after Christ. He did preach about reincarnation:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen03.html

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Jesus-Taught- ... 0963496492

http://www.reincarnation.ws/

http://www.ascension-research.org/reincarn.html

I didn't know about all this either until I stumbled upon it a few years ago.
hawthorn

Re: true...

Post by hawthorn »

Miss_Molly wrote:yeah well, im in the uk.. i guess its hard to open up here.. we are so narrow minded over here and i guess the fact that i have just moved dosent help me. lol.. o well... and i go to a christian camp in the summer for a week (i go fot my friends and i read a book through the services!! :roll: ) Naughty me!!! lol... im bored now!!
people are narrow minded everywhere
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I know this thread is very, very old but I want to add my own solipsisms here.

1. As a former Xtian, they are indeed commanded to go about trying to make converts. I had been taught that is what "mature" Xtians do. It was frustrating for me, as I had my own doubts and had a habit of asking too many of the "wrong" questions about my own religion that I had been spoonfed since childhood. I grew weary of others claiming a God-given duty to put their hand up my back for one reason or another. People will use all sorts of tactics. There are a few debaters, on the mild side. I've been on the receiving end often of blatant intellectual dishonesty, ad hominems, red herrings, the works. They think logic is on their side but get extremely upset as I learned how to answer back and call them out on their BS. Then there are the "Burn in Hell" fear tactics, not just at "heathens" but at other Xtians. There is this sermonette in circulation, sometimes handed to us in print and sometimes told to us from the pulpit, titled "Tell Them of My Way." It was about a Xtian who had died and was sitting in judgement. He recognized the people in front of him: friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, etc. They were people to whom he never bothered teaching "the truth." They all were condemned. Then his turn came and, because he made no attempt to "save" the people before him, his judgement came, "I know ye not. Depart from me..." as he was sent to Hell. It is mental cruelty, as far as I am concerned.

2. Many cultures, I've learned, have "saviors" and compassionate gods for their people. Jesus was not the only one. While some of the scholarship so far on this topic is in error, there is a clear and definite pattern. Enki is addressed as a protector of mankind (as their creator) in old Sumerian stories. Krishna is a Hindu equivalent of a Xtian savior. The swatika that is feared now as a Nazi symbol of hate was originally a Hindu crucifix. In ancient Greece, Dionysius was "thrice born," a god who died and was resurrected. The Dionysian cult Orphism had practices that would help lead the average schmoe into a better afterlife. It gave them hope. Kwan Yin is a compassionate, merciful, protective goddess in Buddhism. Ptah in ancient Egypt was honored as the god of craftspeople (often for stone and clay). As creator of mankind and having a role in creation of universe, he was understood as one to create new bodies for the afterlife as part of the death and rebirth cycle. Another sense of hope for the average schmoe. The list goes on. The more I studied, the less I could understand why everyone would go to hell for not believing in my particular religion. I do need to make a "deconversion" testimony on this one. People have encouraged me to do it.

3. So yes, probably best to just ignore them. Try to engage them in some logical arguments but don't expect much. They already have a persecution complex a lot of the time and cannot understand the problem lies in their own faulty doctrine and flawed tactics.

4. Concerning the word "Amen" it is just Hebrew for "so be it." Earlier origins of that word date back to Egypt, related to Amon Ra (aka Amen Ra), in Egyptian the meaning of Amen as "what is not seen," "what is hidden," or an unseen creator.

(Stares blankly) I was trying to get to another point and lost my train of thought. Anyways, I don't blame you for your annoyance but oftentimes they are more to be pitied for acting that way. They are their own worst enemies in many ways.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
Peaceful Soul

Re: I am sick of Christians preaching at us

Post by Peaceful Soul »

The Christian form of reincarnation is life after death, oh wait, the same thing only different time periods. The easiest way to tell a christian not to say you are wrong is to ~shivers~ compare religions. I honestly hate it, but that's what it comes down to at some points. Both Pagans and Christians believe in a higher power, we both believe that we can achieve things throught that higher power, prayer to Chrisitan, Prayer, Spells and Rituals to us. Both teach us to be peacable to others, neither tells us to go out and harass another. Both say that there is punishment for wrongdoings and rewards for good deeds. Both have the same basic 'rules', for a lack of a better word, and both have the cycle of birth, growth, life and death. GEE, WE AREN'T ALL THAT DIFFERENT, ARE WE???!!! I hope whoever is reading this realizes this:
"I believe in the fundamental truth of all religions. I believe they are all god-given. I believe that all hold some truth, and all have some err in them." ~Quote by Mahatma Ghandi.

I am not trying to say that all religions are right, or justify everything. I am trying to say when you get right down to it, they are all the same. You are born, you grow, you live, you die. You must be peaceable. You must obey your higher power. They all have a higher power (except if you consider the Aetheists, they just gotta be different lol). They all have holidays, all have rules, all have rewards for good deeds and punishment for crimes. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS WHO YOU WORSHIP (WHAT YOU CALL THEM) AND HOW. GEE, THAT ISN'T SO HARD, IS IT?

I am sorry if I sounded rude, it's just hard to get the right tone for a conversation like this by typing. Hope I opened a worldful of eyes. If anyone has any questions as to what I mean, please do PM me. It is a concept that will get you through life. And just for a random piece of advice I find fun and true is this: An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind.

Have a wounderful day, and Blessed Be!
LA-Fairy

Post by LA-Fairy »

I made the big mistake of telling the dentist assistant yesterday that I'm a wicca after she asked if I go to church.
She was a little bossy/demanding/nosy before we got to religion, but once we got into the conversation I felt a little disrespected, like she was right and I was wrong and I needed her help to go to heaven.
I know she meant it in a good way, but man, I don't turn around and make her feel like a fool.
From now on I have to tell people my religion is none of their business, it's between my god and me. Because like Peaceful Soul said, all religion is the same. I was trying to tell her that I worship the spirit, which is the god and goddess, the devine, but then she hit me with, but in the bible it says 'Thou shalt not worship any other god beside me." And that's when I shut up, because i wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, that I don't believe in the bible or jesus. But I kept the rule of three in my head and just shrugged it off and took her suggestions under consideration.
And now I have read a few random pages from the bible and I am confused again. I don't want to be confused.

Blessed be.
Red Music

Post by Red Music »

Frankly, I'm getting sick of christianity. I will not bash their religon. I have total respect for their belifs. I have a very strong christan friend, who bashes my religon sometimes, but I never bash his. Why doesn't treat people the way you want to be treated work? And this kid so crossed the line when he ran up to me saying i was possed, in the middle of the hallway, and throwing a cross at me and splashed me with holy water. And on most days I just would have gone to teacher and said I am keeping calm, you deal with them. But I had a bad day, I failed a math test, looked stupid in english and the clairaduience thing was starting up, and i was about to scream at the voices, looking like a freak. So I did what most people do when they've had it, they kid walked to nurse's office with a black eye and a bloody nose.

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”