How to Share the Gospel with a Pagan

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

No Problem, Wolfwitch :) Thanks
mystic

Post by mystic »

Great article. Hey, ive been in every denomination out there. From jehovah witnesses to penecostal! :roll: I had to find my own path. I too am printing this article! :)
Istaqa

Post by Istaqa »

Love the article. I have a 165pd belgian sheperd so any one brave enough to try for the front door i figure deserves a little of my time.
Most of the people i have had "witnesing" are nice enough even if they dont know their bible very well.
I just bring up a few points where the bible doesnt quite fit and suggest they go away and read about it. Havent had anyone come back yet :D
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Istaqa, go into the Gods/Goddesses thread and look at the essay "We Are the Other People". You might appreciate it! lol

Here's the link:
http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... php?t=4807
Awakened1

Post by Awakened1 »

Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i couldnt get the picture to show up within the forum but using this link will get you too it fine...it's pretty good

http://www.cubiclehermit.com/wp-content ... arning.jpg
Eagleeyes23

Post by Eagleeyes23 »

Thank you so much for posting this article. I don't know how many times I have just gone to a missionary's church just because I didn't want to hear them preaching at me anymore. Never feeling comfortable but always feeling out of place. I think I am going to print this off and let the next person who comes to my door read it.
theivytwines

Post by theivytwines »

I grew up in the Fundamentalist church. It is why I haven chosen another path. I have no issue with God. It is his fan club that I take issue with.

I know a wonderful,deeply religious woman,who is trying to lose a few extra pounds. I innocently suggested that she take up yoga. She said that she was too frightened to take up yoga because she had a read an article warning readers that the instructor might try to convert them to an eastern philosophy. I would be willing to bet that that article came from a Christian women's magazine. No other religion thinks like that. Who knew that yoga could be so subversive?

I can't imagine anything more disrespectful and rude to me than someone who thinks that my life is so pitiful and useless that I need to be converted to something else.
morak

article

Post by morak »

that was an exellent article its the first time reading it, why people have problems with jehovah's, i had twenty minutes to spare before i had to see someone so i approached one in the street and waited till they had done with the person they where with, i am still amazed at the way they open there bible and without lookin start reading whats there, anyway within ten minutes i was thanked and they left, it was my best time to date, it seems they dont like the idea that adam had a wife before eve, because it wasn't mentioned in there book, and that her name was lilith, plus a few other slight corrections to there version of the tract they where reading, and identifying with them by not stating my beliefs because they where different the same way there's where different and there was a lot of persecution still going on because you where different, i still had ten minutes to kill before the appointment i had, they probaly went back to re read there book to see if they missed anything.

im having pc and network prob so please exuse me if this is up twice

morak
Ashara

Beliefs

Post by Ashara »

I love this post. I'm going to print it out and keep it in my BOS. And maybe an extra copy to keep for those occasions when some persons are trying to sway my convictions. I've thought, deliberated and studied Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft for the last 5 years before committing myself to the path. It was a big step for me and I didn't want to make it lightly. So I don't appreciate it when people take it for a 'fad'. Not that I've shared it with very many people yet. It's still a very private thing to and for me. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to hide it, but I just feel like I need time to acclimate, accept, study, and generally get the feel of myself in this new place I've come to before I share with too many people.
Anyway, I started out to thank the author (who by the way, lives in Elkhart, IN? I live just south of Indianapolis) for this wonderful article!
Ashara

Not a morning person doesn't even begin to cover it.

Next mood swing in 6 minutes!
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

well, most solitary's out here tend to keep their religion to themselves unless they are asked for it, so you are not trying to hide it you are merely on your own way that has no need for the common population knowing it
amunptah777

AN oldy but a goody....remember to copy and paste and SEND

Post by amunptah777 »

wow...I could go on for hours....needless to say, I'm inspired to write a little something.

It'll have something to say like this;

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

..........................................................................................................

And please remember, Christians aren't the problem...Christianity is.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

thats just fuel for the fire.
Broken2nite

Post by Broken2nite »

This is a old-ish thread, but I actually sat here, Bible in lap, and read the whole thing and am gonna add my comments anyway.

First off, awesome article. The guys a good writer and articulates himself and feelings quite well to his audiance. Good job!

Jo-ho's...hehe my ex boyfriend had some come to his house and they tried to talk to him and he told them that he'd been away for the past 5 months. "What were you doing?" They asked. "Helped kill 500 people." (He's in the airforce and does mechanics hehe) and they turned and walked away. He enjoyed himself.

But okay, what I really wanted to comment about was I read Red's "debate" or attempt at debate, whatever, he failed miserably. I'm a Christian, and my rule #1. I don't believe in missionary work. I think it's insulting, personally. I'd not be happy if, say, a missionary for Islam came up to me and was like "Go with Alah or you shall BURRRRNNN" Nope, I wouldn't appreciate it one bit. I don't like people telling me what I believe is wrong, and I highly doubt anyone else appreciates it either. So, that being said, what kind of sense does it make for a Christian to come on to a Witchcraft Message Board and try to witness? And not do a very good job at it, btw? I'm here for a legit reason---to LEARN. Not to preach. Not to get on my soap box. I suggest other Christians who frequent this board to do the same, and be RESPECTFUL! If Christians were more respectful to Pagans, guess what?! They'll prolly be the same way in return. Amazing concept, huh?

I believe everyone should find their own truths. My truth is I believe in the Christian God, I believe in Jesus, ect., but you're truth doesn't have to be my truth. That's why it's called BELIEF. It's pure perspective. You do your thing, I do my thing, and as long as we can learn to get along, I don't see the harm in everyone just believing whatever they want. Worship a damn lamp post for all I care, just as long as you aren't hurting anyone.

Errrr okay, now I have to point out something. I read the persons post above me, and the only thing I have to point out about that is she used only referances from the Old Testiment. Yes, the OT is in the Christian Bible, but as a general rule, we tend to follow the NT, since the OT is the Jewish Bible technically. We just borrowed it to get a better sense of our history. The only thing we realllllly use out of there is the 10 commandments, and even those are somewhat re-touched upon in the NT. A lot of things that are seen as harsh and whatnot are re-addressed and changed in the NT, which is what Christians follow. Just thought I'd point that out.

Alright, end here. GNITE!
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Come on guys. Amunptah is making fun of the Fundies,it's them who rely on the Old Testament, after all, as you pointed out Broken2nite.It's funny. I read it out to my family.I want to nick it for my myspace blog, if that's ok Thet? your credit for authorship will stay on it. Look at the humour section here,I have a go at everybody -hehe, I spread the hate evenly-lol, [kidding.]I love Pagan jokes just as much as any other.We can laugh at ourselves.No need for Political Correctness.Political silliness/satire is much better.

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”