Christianity Merging with Paganism or Witchcraft?

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
Lovingvixen

Post by Lovingvixen »

Hello, everyone!

I was raised as a Christian and was forced into it. I was confirmed without fully wanting to be or understanding what it meant because that was expected of me. I turned my back on religion for a while, got into paganism, tried out satanism (that wasn't for me), and practiced witchcraft for a short while. I had quite a few spiritual encounters, so I know there are things, ways of life, perhaps(/), out there besides those preached in Christianity. For the past year or so, I've been out of touch with any pagan beliefs I may have hold. I had a bad spiritual encounter that made me yearn for purity. I found a portion of it in Christianity, but my understanding of it is quite a bit deeper than most people's (please forgive my lack of modesty here).

However, I don't practice it and have quite a few problems with some of the beliefs that the Christian Bible puts forth and the general attitude that can be attributed to Christians (not all of them, obviously). (NOTE: I am not talking about Christianity how it is practiced today, specifically, but how I believe it was intended) Some of my beliefs about the world and people fit very well with the pagan view of life/exisitence, but I have stopped practicing witchcraft and other things because I feel a part of it lead me down a dark path. I haven't started up again because of the Christian Bible saying people shouldn't practice it. I would like to start practicing it again, but I don't want it to clash with my Christian beliefs, or (more importantly for me) my quest for purity.

I had some troubling experiences before I stopped practicing, so if I start back up again, it will have to be from a different angle. If someone would like to talk about it with me, I would love to hear other people's views on the teachings of the Christian Bible in relation to paganism and practicing witchcraft and spiritual stuff. I would be exceedingly grateful if someone would be able/willing to help me figure all this out. I've found believing in God or, at least, a main god has been extremely beneficial to me.

Thank you in advance for anyone that reads this or responds. I have no problem with pm's if someone wants/feels the need to speak privately.
Love.
Shub Niggurath

Re: Christianity Merging with Paganism or Witchcraft?

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Hey Lovingvixen,
Your story is really interesting. And, just to ensure you, it's not a lack of modesty when you say you understand spiritually and Christianity in particular on a deeper level than most of the people, because that's true. Most of the people who don't feel the call for spiritual growth also don't feel the need to understand their religion on a deeper level. Actually a vast majority follows a religion mostly because they need to feel loved and protected by Someone who is good, big and almighty and is never wrong. Such a perspective is very calming and makes life easier because "life is already hard enough" not to be fully responsible for one's salvation and spiritual understanding ;)
But anyway, if you're afraid of confronting the dark path again (which is totally understandable) you might want to try working with energy instead of spells, rituals and witchcraft per se. Energy work is mainly about purification and getting rid of any negativity so you might like it. If you're looking for someone to guide you in that matter I'd suggest looking up "The Spiritual Catalyst" on YouTube.

Good luck with finding your path :)
Lovingvixen

Post by Lovingvixen »

Thanks for your response. I'll look into it. I think that may be a good idea. I started working with energy in kind of a raw way, but that quickly turned into something different. Maybe if I approach it from a different angle, it'll work for me. :)
Love.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

My advice is to study all three subjects: Christianity, Witchcraft and Christian Witchcraft. Write down what you feel are the pros and cons of each. One will resonate with you more, and that's where you'll want to study further. If it turns out that all three of them become unappealing, try studying a different path.
Get in touch with the divine in an aspect that makes you feel comfortable. Pray and ask for guidance. The divine will lead you down a path that is right for you.
Do what feels right to you. Don't feel that you have to have any particular belief system.
Lovingvixen

Post by Lovingvixen »

That's true. I've been feeling a lot of pressure lately to declare myself one or the other, but I think you're right. I definitely have to do more homework regarding different pathways. Thanks :)
Love.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Let me ask you this? Do you think every word in the Bible is literal and true? I know many Christians do but I don't. It was written by humans and it is several different humans interpretation. If you don't take every word literal then I see no need to fuss over the few lines in the bible that says do use witchcraft, divination, talk with the dead, etc. It's mentioned in the OT but it also says do not eat shellfish, men don't cut their hair, no tattoos, don't be gay, etc. I don't follow any of those old laws so why do I have to follow the one about divination? It's also mentioned in revelation that those who practice these things will not be allowed into the kingdom of Heaven, and will stay outside the gates with the dogs, the sexually immoral (homosexual included I'm assuming), the idolaters (polytheist) and the murderers. If I am to take this literal my response is, There is no way in going anywhere without my dogs, not even the kingdom of Heaven!!! I don't think I would mind living outside with the dogs, the gay community, & polytheists, that's mostly who I hang out with now!

But, I don't take every word of the bible literal. My little dogs are souls, just like I am a soul. I have tattoos and I eat shrimp. I pray everyday and I try my best to be a good person. I don't feel that I'm doing wrong when I read tarot cards or play with my stones. I don't cast spells but I may someday and I'm completely okay with that.

As someone who also has a background in Christianity, I can understand the internal conflict because others make you feel that you have to take the bible literally. (But, we know even these people pick and choose what works for them.) Because of this it can be easier to think of deities and forces of nature in Christian terms, and I think that is okay too. Here is a link to a post I made earlier about being someone who picks parts of different religions to create what works for me spiritually. I had a real revelation in reading some of the responses and maybe it will help you too. :)

Rosie

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 29586.html
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Another thought. I'm thinking about your quest for purity and it reminds me of how Buddhist monks will live in caves and starve themselves to to pure themselves of materialist attachment and body toxins and reach the state of "enlightenment". And I think there is some value to this, you can be more open to and aware of the divine if you're "pure". But I think pure means like what it means to the monks, pure of the physical world.
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

I was raised christian too; so? it's YOUR life and not anyone elses. so if you find out more about christian witchcraft or not is up to you personally. I recommend doing history homework as well; background of christianity from its beginning. not the bible; not faith things. history things. facts.
*Blessed Be*

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”