Christians Crucifying Pagans.

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
black dove

Christians Crucifying Pagans.

Post by black dove »

Here's a big thing I want to point out. Not ALL Christians bash us. I have several Christian friends (one being a baptist girlfriend) that accept me for my beliefs. Yes, I know they don't support my stance, but thats simply the religion. How could they support what they believe to be a "Highway to Hell?" Yes, my religion is a taboo in most conversations (especially with my girlfriend), but on occasion we can joke about it. Actually, we make religion jokes all the time, and the love the ones that I've come across... even if they bash Christianity

I'm also friends with fundamental Christians, which, of course, aren't so open minded. Heck, one's denomination is basically modeled after the Quakers. Yes, he doesn't "approve" of my beliefs, but he doesn't bash me. He's known me for a few years now (since before my conversion) and understands that I'm a good person, with good intentions, and all that jazz. He may believe that I am worshiping Satan in disguise, but has never said so to my face. We established that we would respect each-other's beliefs, even if we don't support them.

The most opposition that I have encountered from Christians is from my old youth pastor (and I probably would have encountered additional opposition from the head pastor and church elders.) I didn't even mention witchcraft to him, I simply brought up the topic of auras and asked if it lined up with the Bible. He was basically freaking out on me, saying that I was on a road to wicca and witchcraft. In fact, I had already reached that destination, I wanted to see how he would react to my beliefs. It's actually quite sad, because I used to see him as a father-figure. On top of that, about 3 years preceding this event, the church actually had a "prophet" come in, which told my father that his aura was green and that he has managerial opportunity coming up... it just wasn't ready yet. My father over these past few years has come across several opportunities that were in lined with the prophet's reading.

This situation is really strange. Lets look at it. :shock: The pastor brings in a Christian aura reader (and prophet... fancy word for fortune teller) to come in, help give a sermon or something (I forget), and use her unique abilities to assist church members with their worries. 3 years later, I tell the youth pastor that I can see auras, yet he criticizes me for practicing psychic abilities and witchcraft. Why am I different? :? Hmmm... I'm a youth (17 at the time) and open-minded to various religions, over the past three years, he also has focused on bringing in numbers (the youth group population went from 14 to 80 at one point)... Hmmm :o Oh... I know! The numbers... the tithe... the income!!! I was a number to him. He realized that if I left, he'd lose income.

I think you guys/girls get what I'm saying. Not all Christians are judgmental....and a good bit of the judgmental ones are really just greedy. Yes, there are Christians that are truely judgmental and I'm sure that there are some that would love to bring back the burning days. I mean really? Whats better than waking up to the smell of a burning corpse? Yes there are ignorant people out there, but I'm just trying to make a point. Don't bash Christians... bash stupid, ignorant, greedy people. There are plenty of "pagans" and "Wiccans" that I know personally and would love to bash... simply for their stupidity.

ramble ramble ramble... I'd love to hear other people's negative (and positive) experiences too.
Just looking for the answers to life.
)O( Blessed be
Peregrine

Re: Christians Crucifying Pagans.

Post by Peregrine »

Good post. I find it strange that you mention the one who is Quaker like it was bad. My experience with Quakers has been perfectly fine. Strangely enough, I've had odd skirmishes over the years with certain pagans who like to throw the first swing. I even got a great laugh from a YouTube video titled "Pagans Who Piss Me Off" because of some of my strange encounters. The editor of that video forgot about the pagans who attack you for being a Christian, even if you are not a Christian, just because you do not believe in something that they practice (such as astrology). Don't have to bash it or claim others who use it or stupid or evil; you can even acknowledge that you know others who swear by it but it just never worked for you. Just politely say you don't believe in it and watch poop hit the fan with some of them. It just gets.... weird.

Some Christians can be hateful and ignorant, but there are many more who are quietly living out their lives trying to survive and make sense out of things just like anyone else. Many of them are probably just like many of us were in our past: we were in that particular church out of tradition. We were (Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, Calvinist, etc etc etc) because our parents were (Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, Calvinist, etc etc etc). I get the impression many of them are walking that path more out of tradition, like a "secular" or "nonsectarian" Christian, than out of a choice from the heart. It's all they know; it is familiar for them so they stick with it for that reason.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I have been pagan my entire life and it wasnt a secret from people so naturally i got some comments in high school but one incident in particular stays in my mind it was the funniest thing of all. This actually happened when i was alredy out of High School. It was me and a couple of girls from my "Coven" although in my tradition its called a "Ring" but I digress we were in Ybor City in Tampa at a nighclub called The Castle It was a goth/alternative club but we were there for 80's night which was on Sundays. WELL It was common for teen and young adult christians to gather outside the club passing out literature and bible thumping trying to pray on people and save their immortal souls. The girls and I were waiting in line to get in and they came upon us. My friend Cat is a beautiful Goth Princess and they set their targets on her. They approached us and were telling us we were going to hell and of course we said we dont believe in hell were witches. They started holding hands and praying and started circling us with their prayers trying to exercise the demons out of us I guess. We thought this was funny so we joined hands and started chanting. They started saying that our witchcraft wont work on them that they are protected by christ and we just continued on. A few moments later a balcony on the side of the building *stone balcony like castle* came crashing down at their feet and almost hit them. They swore it was us and started running down the street scream. IT WAS f*cking HILLARIOUS Really we had nothing to do with it as far as I know but still the timing was perfect!!!! That group was never seen there again LOL.

Aside for that and a few other select incidents I havent had any problems and I respect Christians and Christianity very much. I find beauty in their religion and I am happy that it brings peace to many. It just wasnt right for me.
skyslide

Post by skyslide »

That's wonderful and true. Just want to mention that I think you mean Puritans not Quakers, though. Quakers were much more friendly to outsiders (sorta) and Puritans were who had the Salem With Trials and stuff.

Haha but anyway you're right. I have a friend that was raised Catholic but actually takes interest in what I do. She doesn't believe I'm going to hell. She doesn't believe she'll be punished for allowing me to talk to her either. Plus there are quite a few witches that practice witchcraft in addition to their Christianity, obviously they aren't going to bash us.
illbehere

Post by illbehere »

lol xD
my friend over reacts alot and she hullicinates from inhaleing deodarent although she stopped recently. she told me the devil appeared to her saying "your friend ryan the witch is going to hell" LOL xD. i havent told a priest, but anyone ive told has been open minded exept my parents to broke out in a fit of laughter when i told them =/ but that doesnt bother me xD. and my friends respect me for what i am, they all know i like guys AND girls and at first they were creeped by me but now theyre not. my polish friend alla is creeped at me cause i told her im a witch and pretended to snap at her finger when she went to poke me xD, now everytime she feels threateed by me she makes a "cross" with her two fingers although she cant do it properly and it looks like an X im like "oh are be playing x's and o's :D? lemme go get my magic notepad :D. Lol xD i fidn it quite amusing :L
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

Symandinome wrote:.... A few moments later a balcony on the side of the building *stone balcony like castle* came crashing down at their feet and almost hit them. They swore it was us and started running down the street scream. IT WAS f*cking HILLARIOUS Really we had nothing to do with it as far as I know but still the timing was perfect!!!! That group was never seen there again LOL.
LMAO!!!
Although I disagree Sy..... everything happens for a reason.... maybe the bible-bashers needed a wake-up call! :lol:
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I like to think it was the Goddess doing it as well but I dont think it was from anything from our doing specifically. I mean we never worded let the balcony fall into our chant or anything
illbehere

Post by illbehere »

lol id have said "begone or ill curse you, then fly away on my broom >:D" lol :L
black dove

Post by black dove »

Hahaha, I love how my 3 month old post is JUST getting comments.

Anyway,

Symani: I LOVE that story XD We don't have anywhere like that where I live, but I swear, I'd LOVE that scene. XD My mom and dad recently went to a Motley Crue concert, and there were a TON of Christian Extremists gathered around the line. They were saying stuff "This is the devil's music" and spewing ignorance of all forms. Well as my mom was passing through them, she simply said "God bless you" with a superior look on her face XD

Skyslide: Yeah you're right. He is a Puritan.

Symani (again): Why's it gotta be the goddess? Why not the god? :P
Just looking for the answers to life.
)O( Blessed be
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

lol good point it could have been the god. I am just partial to the goddess. I know its bad i should think of them both equally but I am with faults like anyone else and I tend to hold the goddess higher than the god.
Zili

Post by Zili »

I don't believe anyone has ever said that all christians bash pagans. I never read that on this forum or on any forum nor have I heard it in real life.

Myself and two other members of the Pagan club at my college were asked by the catholic sponsor of the Catholic College Student Center (where I used to be a member of at my old catholic church) the even was an open religious forum in which an athiest, rabbi, christian, and 3 pagans were asked to speak. No one was against us at all, no one spoke bad about us and in fact had no questions for us, the questions were all directed towards the one speak that no one knew anything about the religion. The person being asked questions? The Rabbi. Yes these college student knew a lot less about the jewish faith than they did pagan faith because there isn't a synagog in my home town.

Even after that event we weren't bashed the only time we've been bashed is when a hateful christian preacher demanding gays be put to death and witches burned comes on campus preaching in our garden.

My own parents and brothers are christian, my boy scout troop is christian yet not one of them bashed me for my beliefs. The only person that did was my venturing crew leader (the husband) but again he's one of those christians that hold the belief that all religions other than christian are wrong and sinful

No one bothered educating these men that we are not a sadistic satan worshiping coven. and if they did they have refused to listen that's not against us but I just listed (not by name but by group) over 50 people and only 2 out of 50+ has ever said anything negative about my faith.

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”