sound familiar?

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
Peregrine

Re: sound familiar?

Post by Peregrine »

A PS to my last post regarding hexidecimal usage... There was another parallel on the Epic of Gilgamesh that I intended to point out. I had mentioned Enlil's attempts to thin out human populations in various ways over 600 year intervals until finally in this one interval he decided to wipe them all out with a flood. In the Genesis story, Noah is 600 years old at the time he is instructed to build an ark in preparation for a great flood.

Really folks, I highly recommend reading up on Sumerian mythologies. Just a word of warning, if you don't care for Reptilian Conspiracy Theories, UFOlogy, lavish Illuminati theories, or Christian stories of the Nephilim, it can be a difficult task. The internet is overrun with all of that stuff. If it is not them, then it is certain Satanic or Luciferian sites. (Sighs and facepalms) Although I admit that in my experience, the Luciferians make more sense than any of those other aforementioned groups put together. I've been able to dig up a few good sources, either from a dry scholarly objective POV or a polytheistic (pagan) POV. I'll list some of them at the Web Sites board for anyone interested. (One of my personal favorites from a polytheistic POV is titled "Gateways to Babylon.") I'm frustrated at the types like Zecharia Sitchin and David Icke, though, for causing even more issues and confusion over these Sumerian stories; as though Judeo-Christianity did not already cause enough headaches. I've been coming across certain Christian groups (ex evangelicals) who now think any scholarly finding on Sumerian mythology is debunked just because Sitchin can easily be debunked, ignoring the fact that Sitchin added a lot of his own twists and made use of extremely sloppy "scholarship" IMHO. If others want to believe that stuff, fine. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings or anything, but I am standing on my POV based on my findings as I muddle through all of this. I want to make informed decisions and get my facts straight is all.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
mist

Post by mist »

This is all true, BUT . . . even Zeitgeist says that Jesus is the avatar OF THIS AGE. Horus was the avatar of THAT age. When Jesus finishes this age that we're in now, another person will take over and have the same traits.

It's all about a leader for each *age*.
mist

Re:

Post by mist »

Peregrine wrote:Most of these examples refer to the story of Jesus. What of the Old Testament stories? Look no further than the stories of ancient Sumer, Babylon, and Assyria. I'll have to get the details but there are a lot of similarities.

Early Christians did not even believe in the existance of Hell according to Tentmaker.org. That was started under Constantine, who borrowed it from the Roman paganism which was at that time very militaristic.
Constantine also took out all references to reincarnation that were in the Bible.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Like I said before though, I have to scour Zeitgeist a little more. There is some back and forth even among atheists as to whether or not it is legit or sloppy scholarship. I need to find a copy and read it for myself.

I'd love to read Biblical references to reincarnation, Mist. Can you point some out for me? According to the site "Gateways to Babylon" there are references and hints even then at reincarnation in their belief systems. According to the webmaster/priestess there, it is linked to the careful observations they made on natural occurences (moon phases, sunrise and sunset, seasons, etc.) There was always a return. Even other gods and goddesses besides the ones I mention had gone to the underworld and returned... Examples include Enlil and Ninlil. Dumuzi and Gestinanna, as mortals (or half-mortals if you prefer), made deep spiritual achievements because of this death and resurrection experience. She also says that Enki was NOT, as claimed by some sites, being a lying cheating S.O.B. when he warned Adapa NOT to eat of the bread of life for immortality. She says Adapa knew he still had work to do on the earth plain and his work would eventually still lead to immortality, just later rather than sooner. Perhaps the Hebrews had heard of this as well and it found its way into "Hellenistic Judaism" (one prototype that lead to Christianity)?

Also from what I've researched on the history of Hell mythologies, it appears that when Constantine and his brigade were piecing things together, they borrowed the idea from old Egyptian mythologies. There in the afterlife, a corrupt soul was hacked into pieces and burnt in a lake of fire. (Scratches head) I forget which god it was, but he would claim (consume?) these souls every night and await the new batch. So even then, hell was NOT a place of eternal torture. As gruesome as the description sounds for the corrupt souls awaiting judgement, it was still, as stated ver batim in the book of Revelation, a "second death."

Bear with me as I learn all this. Sometimes I go in circles so much, I get dizzy. LULZ.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

mist

Post by mist »

Peregrine wrote:Like I said before though, I have to scour Zeitgeist a little more. There is some back and forth even among atheists as to whether or not it is legit or sloppy scholarship. I need to find a copy and read it for myself.

I'd love to read Biblical references to reincarnation, Mist. Can you point some out for me?
Sorry, I just read this now. I'll get post some info for you tomorrow.
mist

Post by mist »

I'm sorry this took so long. I've been busy lately. Here's a good page to get started:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen03.html
Rosewolf

Post by Rosewolf »

I wish I had read this thread ten years ago when I was at Uni. I would have loved to write my dissertation on this. Very well researched OP - and very interesting indeed.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

mist wrote:I'm sorry this took so long. I've been busy lately. Here's a good page to get started:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen03.html

Sorry I took so long to get back here. I'll check that out. Had some unexpected suprises of my own suddenly come up.

Oh, and for other references to the original post, I stumbled upon these sections over at Sacred Texts. It appears a lot of this has been known since at least the 19th century:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/cv/pch/index.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/cv/wscs/index.htm

mist

Post by mist »

From the second link you posted:

"There are serious flaws in this book. Graves was apparently not working from original sources, with the exception of the Bible; he seems to have relied on books such as Higgins' Anacalypsis, without necessarily citing them. He muddles Vaishnava Hinduism and Buddhism, two belief systems with fundamental differences. That said, the traditional narratives of Krishna and Buddha do contain motifs in common with the NT stories of Jesus. "

Anyway, I think it all goes back to 'God for All' meaning that not only Jesus was sent for humankind, but many were sent. Go back to that Zeitgeist film that explains that Jesus said that He was the savior for THIS age (meaning that there are other saviors for other 'ages').

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”