Nostradamus?

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Gaia

Nostradamus?

Post by Gaia »

I was just wondering: has anyone heard of Nostradamus? If you have, may you please give me your opinion on him? I've been reading about him lately and was just curious on what other people think of him. Do you think he really is a prophet of some kind and that his prophecies are coming true? Or should I be skeptical?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

I like him, the man knew his stuff ;)
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Yes, I think so too. :)
Tymar

Post by Tymar »

I liked what i have read, of Nostradamus, although the interpretations might be a little out now days.. One of the books I read at school in the 1980s explained the end of the world, and hopping for no more school, I sat waiting… .. But as you guess no end of the world.
But even at that time, they said his predictions only went to 80s..

So even though they keep bringing out new books of his interpretations, I don’t feel I have as much faith in them now days, as I use too.

But mind you, I feel he was very talented man in his day.
And I am fascinated by his talent; I still enjoy watching tv documentaries about him.
BB Tymar..

Don't wait for a light to appears at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself" - Sara Henderson;
hedge*

Re: Nostradamus?

Post by hedge* »

Gaia wrote:I was just wondering: has anyone heard of Nostradamus? If you have, may you please give me your opinion on him? I've been reading about him lately and was just curious on what other people think of him. Do you think he really is a prophet of some kind and that his prophecies are coming true? Or should I be skeptical?
He definately had something in my opinion - there's no doubt about that.
There are people who think his predictions were very sketchy and vague but my argument for this is that the man was predicting things in years of technological advancement that most visions would have been complete nonsense to him - so he described things as best he could.

If you want to follow (and make sense out of) his prophecies then I suggest you get Nostradamus and His Prophecies by Edgar Leoni. It is by far the best book on this subject that I've read (and I've read quite a few).

It contains all of the Quatrains with a comprehensive translation which the author then compares with events in history.
All done in an unbiased theological way.
Mycroft
Banned Member

Post by Mycroft »

Not sure if I could say he's genuine or not. Having read some of his prophecies as a random fact, in school, I can say that those are typical futuristic ideas that can be dissected into multiple suppositions. He uses codes, so basically everything can depend on what we want to understand. Basically it's a personal view.

As prophecies sometimes go, when you hear something, you are influenced by it whether or not you believe. There was a popular joke that presented a scientist who presented his house to visitors. Upon seeing the horseshoe hung above the bed, they asked him if he actually believed in the superstition . He answered "Well they said it works for those who don't believe too".
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Do you believe he has talent or a spiritual gift? Maybe even science?
Mycroft
Banned Member

Post by Mycroft »

Talent? Maybe...science, I doubt it. Spiritual gift? Couldn't really say. He had some interesting ideas, that's for sure.
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

True, it's just kind of scary that all of them have come true. Although, it is possible that we are interpretting them it into a similar situation.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Indeed Gaia.Have all of the predictions come true though? When writing is translated through Latin into French then English,as many of Nostradamus' writings have been, it is likely to lose something in interpretation.Similarly to the Bible and the Aramaic /Greek/Latin/English,cross transfer. I am not that well aquainted with Nostradamus' works, though I do remember great fuss over the disaster of Chernobyl,especially as the great man talked often of Wormwood, in predictions [Chernobyl is Russian for Wormwood].I should check him out.
sunstoneleo

Post by sunstoneleo »

I think that most of his predictions are hard to interpret. It's like "Oh, so that's what he meant by that" meaning you don't find out what they were until after they happened. But considering he lived in a time where witches and prophets were not welcome, I can completely understand why he wrote them the way he did.
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

It's as I said, we can put them into a similar situation. But you do bring up an excellent point, maybe he didn't want them to be read so easily. He's an interesting man, I enjoying learning about him, even if it is possible he isn't what he seems. I don't think anything is 100% what it seems, actually. Kind of like Stonehenge, it's a wonderous thing to learn about, but we're not even sure what it really is.

Return to “For Everyone”