Divine Authority

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sobek
Banned Member

Divine Authority

Post by Sobek »

I'm talking the magical application of, commonly used in ceremonial magic.

"In the name of [Insert Deity], I command thee!"

type stuff. As per my curiosity. I am wanting to know if people here ever exert Divine Authority whatever there practice. Plus, also your thoughts behind its use one way or another :)
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I am not much use in the practice of 'summoning' I believe it to be 'disrespectful' to command spirits,though I know a few people who do it like this with successful results,but maybe that is also why the 'summoned' are not always true or trustworthy???

I said this in a previous topic.My view is this: You want to call an entity as you need something,be it an answer or magickal direction etc.Then you must be willing to make an exchange: "it is always a meaningful exchange" whether the caster realises it or not.Dance with Daemons if you will, but do not be so imperious as to believe that you command them.Even assuming you have such great ethereal powers; and powerful you must indeed be,it is too often the case that unforeseen and untoward situations arise due to 'The Djinnie being much harder to get back IN the bottle, than out" Oh the arrogance of many Ceremonialists.On exchange: in my belief system this is purely good manners,it is an honour to be in the presence of a spirit,when asked with good grace,they will come,so it is only fitting they gain from the experience too.A little blood, an offering, some energy exchange - however it is done,there is barter: honour is satisifed.As a Shamanic practitioner: when Iact ,I act with the spark of divinity within me,that lives within usall, in that respect I do act with divine authority...lol, but seriously.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

I wasn't refering to divine authority solely in the field of summoning. There are plenty of practical applications of it that some would feel can make anything extremely powerful.
Geri wrote:I am not much use in the practice of 'summoning' I believe it to be 'disrespectful' to command spirits,though I know a few people who do it like this with successful results,but maybe that is also why the 'summoned' are not always true or trustworthy???
What being likes to be commanded? But I don't know on the trust issue ... depends on the being in question. But that's neither here nor there I suppose. I personally don't do divine authority, just seeing if people do in one way or another ... there's more of it floating around than one would realise :)
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Semantics could get confusing,I suppose.In the instant of 'acting' say, in ritual,I do so with complete authority in myself and trust that I will: that my will to power is omniescent,in that moment.That way,if I'm wrong, it is me alone,who bears my error also.That would qualify, in a way? I am Autotheistic,in my working,in that it is the Shamanic part of my spirit: the active, that is divine [small d].Make sense?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Geri wrote:That would qualify, in a way? I am Autotheistic,in my working,in that it is the Shamanic part of my spirit: the active, that is divine [small d].Make sense?
More than you know Geri.

Semantics, semantics, semantics ... curse me and my unlinear mind :P

You know what? funnily enough ... I don't even remember what I wanted to know from this topic ... let us just see where it goes too next :P
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

It's not your semantics, it's my semantic antics.lol.Divine authority is an important concept.yep.yep.I'd like this discussion to develop too.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I think the question is: if when I do whatever it is I do (cast spell, rituals ect) do I say "In the name of Hecate (the Goddess who chose me) my will be done" or whatever....well the answer for me is no. I maintain a rather low profile on that sort of thing and just say "As I will it, so mote it be" but I do call upon Hecate for things, but in a humble way :wink:

I reserve that kind of commanding for the bedroom with my hubby....haha
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

The answer for me would be yes, but not often. As far as I know, in Egypt, names are very powerful. Just like what happened to Isis (where she gain powers because Ra told him his names) she became most powerful , as far as i can tel :D
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

I'd say it depends on the situation.

If a situation is obviously unjust; slavery, for example...I'd say Sekhmet would be glad to lend her Divine Authority to a working.

I'd also like to point out that the NtJr (Spirits/Ancestors...u know...) don't "bow to the wishes" of people just because they know the right wurz.

For example, I can get an early Tomb text, something written in proto-hieroglyphic with some spell or something that no one has ever seen before...and I stand inside Giza, and call all the names, and recite all the incantations perfectly..and use a sacred robe found intact after 2400 yrs and shake my little thing on the cat-walk and dance the jig until I drop...but the Spirits aren't going to go destroy my enemies in flashes of lightning and fire from the sky just because I said "By the power of GreySkull!!!!"

That's my 2 cents.

Thet
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Knowing something's true name is indeed powerful.In many ,if not all world cultures,at some point in history.Think of the fairy tale Rumplestiltskin,for instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin

Think of the Djinnie,enslaved by a man knowing it's name.The Goetic spirits in the Lemegeton,bound to Solomon's will. Many Parallels and allegories abound,in our world.The true name of God,in Judaism.[ Warlock -Sobek....heheh.Sobek and I love this film, you see the power of the true name in this film,at the end sequence..love it. ]

Magickal and secret names,why do you think they are used? Open question to the floor.....
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

http://www.freaknation.com/articles/who-are-you.php

Interesting article on the empowerment of names.
Mycroft
Banned Member

Post by Mycroft »

Well if it comes to names, in the old villages there was a tradition/ healing practice that included changing the name of the person who was sick. No one was to say the first name, so as the sickness won't find him again.
Also there was a story where a powerful sorceress was stopped by not mentioning her name, and people forgetting it. I suppose that's what the people in Harry Potter were trying to do. And the kids in the Freddie Krueger movies too...

And the only way for the enemies to be destroyed because of the "power of the GreySkull" you need 1. a rather huge sword and 2. a cobra armored sorceress who lives in a castle...preferably a green cat too. Purple skin enemy not included.
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

I'd also like to mention (because of the context) the fact that that Ancient Egyptians believed that if one tattooed the name of ones enemy on ones person, that enemy could not harm them.

http://www.touregypt.net/magazine/mag11012000/mag4.htm

(this article isn't very informative...but an interesting little piece)

So we can equate also, a form, and image with a name.

We can say that a picture of someone or something is it's name.

Like I always say, What you get tattooed is what you need protection from"

I wonder if that will scare away more clients than it draws in. :)

Thet
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

The traditional reasons for tattooing include:
to connect with the Divine.
as a tribute or act of sacrifice to a deity.

From that article also.Tattooing is not solely for protection from something. Tattoos have been found on bodies from other cultures which are as old and older than, Egyptian.I believe it says as much in this article but then states tattooing 'started' in Egypt.That is Contradictory.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

I don't think the origins of tattooing and branding are all that important(aside from the obvious historically beneficial connotations ofcourse) But I wouldn't think tattooing something on you is a ward, quite the opposite.

Parents don't tattoo their newly born babies name onto them to get them out of their lives, it's to show the child is a part of them and always with them and the love and devotion that they have for them, no matter what happens between parent and child ... they'll always have their reminders of what they did and why.

Same basic ideologies for having anything you love tattooed on you I would think. Same with branding too ... no way am I having something I hate burned into my flesh just so I can be reminded of ill feeling.

I have no doubt that tattooing something you hate is a good way to feed your hate for it and try keep it away, but that can't be said for the nature of all tattooing and branding.

Return to “For Everyone”