Wicca and Satan? eep.

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sercee

Wicca and Satan? eep.

Post by Sercee »

Ok, I have a question.

I've only just begun any 'structured' training in Wicca, and one thing I was taught that I have always believed is that there is no Satan. The word satan originally means, literally, adversary, and the personifications most commonly associated with that name these days are the intimidations of Christian/Catholic etc clergy. I have also always believed that Wicca is NOT satan worship and I don't personally know anyone who does worship satan.

However, I noticed a thread on this board where someone said they were going to devote themselves to Satan that day. The thread up to that point seemed to be a normal wiccan/witchcraft thread. Is there any reason why these would be connected? Or is it just that person's way of doing things?
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Who was it that said that? If it's who I think it is, then don't worry about it.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I'll PM you.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Umm...okay.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

tis a choice that person makes, you can call upon or devote yourself to any deity or spirit or whatever.
Semjaza

Post by Semjaza »

This is how I see it, (your interpretations may vary):

Traditional Wiccans (Gardnerians) follow a specific god and goddess that is only known to their tradition. They may also (in addition) to this honour deities of various pagan cultures (Ancient Greek, Roman, Celtic, Egyptian, Assyrian, Sumerian, etc).

Modern, Eclectic Wiccans usually honour a god and a goddess, or combinations thereof, from various pagan cultures.

Witchcraft is not a religion, so you could (if you were religious) follow any god or gods you chose, including Satan. (I don't think a Christian magic-user would call themselves a witch, but anywho)... Female LaVeyan Satanists often are called/call themselves witches (whether they practice magic or not) so there could be some confusion there...

In traditional religious witchcraft, there is sometimes made mention of 'the Devil.' This isn't Satan as the Christians know him.

In a sense, Satan has no part in Wicca because Wicca and Christianity are separate religions. If a Wiccan is interpreting Satan as a pagan god, then maybe. (I consider theistic Satanists to be pagans, so why not?) But the idea of a morally evil entity doesn't really have a place in Wicca. When someone associates Wicca and Satan, I usually think its either confusion about Wicca, or wanting to shock people. I think Satan could fit into Wicca only in its most eclectic extreme (and then its not really Wicca, in my opinion, but anywho).

Just my two cents, and odd interpretations...

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

Wicca is not devil worship, if you wrship the devil, or believe in one, oyu CANNOT and i repeat CANNOT call yourself wiccan, or a witch.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

Witch1693 wrote:Wicca is not devil worship, if you wrship the devil, or believe in one, oyu CANNOT and i repeat CANNOT call yourself wiccan, or a witch.
I disagree with that statement. I know of Wiccans who have followed their Craft for decades who believe in the devil (they opt not to worship that particular deity, but they do believe he exists). I know of witches who believe in the devil. Some worship him, most do not.
Smolly

Post by Smolly »

yeah it all depends on your own opinion and what feels right to you.
i mean if i ... worshipped ..... danu, brighid, rhiannon and a handful of others, i would not say
'you MUST worship danu or else she will strike lightening at you and send you to the devil'
or whatever you like.
its just what calls to you and feels right and comfortable to you. what you beleive is what you beleive.

personally i beleive in a god and a goddess, the female energy and male energy that created all that was, is and will be.
however i look upon other gods and goddesses as certain ascpets of their personality. if i was concentrating on something specific such as a spell for revision i would call upon the goddess/god who would 'fit' into that part of the gods/goddesses personality, if that makes sense.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

"Witch1693 wrote:
Wicca is not devil worship, if you wrship the devil, or believe in one, oyu CANNOT and i repeat CANNOT call yourself wiccan, or a witch.

I disagree with that statement. I know of Wiccans who have followed their Craft for decades who believe in the devil (they opt not to worship that particular deity, but they do believe he exists). I know of witches who believe in the devil. Some worship him, most do not."

i disagree with that most strongly(not you julaki, i disagree with witch1693). says the "jew-witch" who believes in "the great siren"

a person can believe in what they want and they can call themselves whatever they want and you have no right saying otherwise.
Pav

Post by Pav »

good point sobek, smolly and juliaki. You have no right really to try and force your own personal beliefs on everyone else
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

What I was taught is that a Wiccan will absolutely deny the existance of the Christian version of Satan. This is because the really nasty goat-legged version of him was created as a means to intimidate and convert pagans to christianity at the same time as villifying pagan religions (horned god, pentacle etc). Therefore, accepting the existence of *this* Satan means accepting the past insults against witchcraft ie Salem.

I suppose this means Satan doesn't have to be that way. Just the 'adversary' form, curiousity and learning?
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

Sercee wrote:What I was taught is that a Wiccan will absolutely deny the existance of the Christian version of Satan. This is because the really nasty goat-legged version of him was created as a means to intimidate and convert pagans to christianity at the same time as villifying pagan religions (horned god, pentacle etc). Therefore, accepting the existence of *this* Satan means accepting the past insults against witchcraft ie Salem.

I suppose this means Satan doesn't have to be that way. Just the 'adversary' form, curiousity and learning?
What does Salem have to do with this?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Burning witches?
Semjaza

Post by Semjaza »

Sercee wrote:Burning witches?
Um... witches burnt in Salem? That didn't happen (if indeed that's what you were implying, if not, then please disregard this).

In Salem, (can't remember the number, maybe 14?) people were hanged as witches, and one man 'pressed to death' as a witch, but no one was burnt. And there's no proof that they were witches at all. They were probably Christians. The only one that could've possibly have counted (in the widest definition of witch) might've been Tituba, but I don't know if she existed (I could be confusing a fictional account with the historical evidence)... But I do know that no one was burnt...

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF

Return to “For Everyone”