Spiders

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

very deadly. the area i am in has a hell of a lot of red backs, they are i think your black widow is similar to the red back.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I heard something neat about a couple of the spiders down there, if you don't mind indulging me...

The 'huntsman' and I can't remember the other one. The big one, the huntsman, doesn't bother people. All it does is hunt down this other little spider which is actually deadly. A friend who visited some people down there said they just let the big one wander around, even across the kitchen table, because they knew it was actually an ally. t or f?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

true, the huntsman is harmless to people MOST people will leave it be because it kills flies and other annoyances, doesnt hurt people...i still dont like it though :oops:
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I wouldn't either, if it's as big as I picture it (haven't actually seen one) and it's in my kitchen or bedroom or boot...

I was just curious. I think it's fascinating.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/australia ... _F2649.jpg

thats a good pic to judge the size. on the most common of household items
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Wow! Yeah, I can see the issue.

On second thought, he looks kind of cute, almost protective. Not aggressive, anyway.

*lol* Sorry, this year I not only managed to get over my fear of spiders, I've become enamored with them, as well!

Anyway, Thank you for the picture. I hope you didn't force yourself to take it!
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

lol:shock: as if, i googled.

i see nothin cute, i can see how you come to the "protective" conclusion. but thats just the same as how a thief can look like a decent person
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

I must admit. As much as I have gotten over the majority of my phobia. Seeing THAT coming across my table as i'm setting down to breakfast. I S#!T myself! That think looks pure evil. I know it's a helpfull critter but D@MN! That things fricking massive!

Sobek: Yes, the red back is almost exactly like our Black widow. They are both in the ord weaver family and of a similar size and build. Their toxins work on the same principle to (Neurotoxins labeled class one.) Very similar.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't MOST things in Australia poisonous or otherwise leathal in some way?
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

"Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't MOST things in Australia poisonous or otherwise leathal in some way?"

LOL unfortunately they are, last time i checked i think australia had most of the world top 10 deadliest thingies. but not just the land critters are poisonous. actually thinking about this makes me amazed the grass isnt poisonous, still an OK country for the most part though lol. but you know what sucks the most, its coming into summer so all of these poisonous things are starting to come back out.
Deirdre

Post by Deirdre »

WolfWitch wrote:I must admit. As much as I have gotten over the majority of my phobia. Seeing THAT coming across my table as i'm setting down to breakfast. I S#!T myself! That think looks pure evil. I know it's a helpfull critter but D@MN! That things fricking massive!
Just looking at that picture freaks me out...
I am absolutely terrified of spiders...
I tried getting over it, but i just can't...
* ~ * Deirdre * ~ *

Just waiting for my mind to catch up with me.
mage

Post by mage »

if you ask me- spiders are grose...look at its face(or how to say that ugly mouth)- yahhhh.... when i saw that picture... :shock: :shock: :shock: ...
well i dont like them- even if they are small- but if they are big... well lets just say that if i see a spider like that on the foto in my kitchen- i would died of heart failure!!
Aerea

Post by Aerea »

I hate spiders. I had a huge daddy long legs crawl across my stove the other day while I was making dinner and I caught it under a glass. My bf puts all the bugs outside for me. Even though I hate spiders and bugs I dont like to kill them. Its a living thing too. But Im not bothered by tarantulas. My mom had one as a pet and I wouldnt mind if one of those crawled on the table but everything else will have me on top of the fridge.

That pic of the huntsamn spider was nasty. Id die if that was on my table. But I think I could learn to live with it if it was sent to me as a familiar. Personally I dont have one and dont feel like I need one.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I had a huge daddy long legs crawl across my stove the other day while I was making dinner and I caught it under a glass.
LOL For future reference, Aerea, you don't need to be afraid of daddy long legs 'spiders'. If it's the one I'm thinking of (and if you live in Maine then I think I'm right) it's not actually a spider. Its real name is a 'Harvestman' and it's a 'non-insect arthropod' for those that care. It doesn't bite, it doesn't make wilk (therefore no webs) and the only thing they really eat is the dead bugs or bits of decaying plants they find lying around. Also, contrary to popular belief, they don't contain venom.

I'd send you a pic to make sure we're talking about the same bug, but I don't want to make you twitchy.

I hope that helps you!
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Not Spiders?

Another misconception is that the Daddy long-legs spider is not a true spider. This misconception arises from the multiple uses of the name Daddy long-legs. It is the Harvestman (which is also called Daddy long-legs) which is an arachnid but not a true spider. The Daddy long-legs spider is a true spider.

according to wiki its a real spider well for the most part.

i cant understand how one fears a daddy long legs but not a tarantula
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I was wondering the same thing. Tarantulas fine but Daddy long legs not? Though, if the tarantula is a known 'pet' around the house then I guess I can see it.

Yes, there is a spider that is a daddy long legs. This web site should clear it up.

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

Return to “For Everyone”