Psychology Book Suggestions

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Deejean

Psychology Book Suggestions

Post by Deejean »

Hey everyone!

I want to do more research in psychology. I want to understand the human mind better and why people act as they do. I feel this will help me on my path :)

Has anyone read any good books on psychology they could suggest? Humam behavior is an interesting topic to me, but I know psychology is a broad subject.

Thanks
Love and light
Dee [HEAVY BLACK HEART]
Last edited by Kassandra on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Suggests/Comments forum is for suggestions for the EUTM message board; thread moved to For Everyone forum.
Becks

Re: Psychology Book Suggestions

Post by Becks »

Any text used for first year psychology would be good because it would be written to give an overview of main theorists, child development and some of the main concepts. You are right because psychology is massive. You can look at any of the classical "isms" and then see where the current thinking has gone from there. I love google scholar for reading the latest abstracts of all of my favourite subjects.

He is out of fashion, but I like the works of Jung when thinking about the intersection of the mind and spirituality and magical workings. It's good to have a grasp of the general themes however.

In the end I say read about what interests you. smiley_dance
Deejean

Post by Deejean »

Thanks Becks!

A first year psychology book would be about what I am looking for but since I'm not actually a student I dont know the titles of any to look up. I tried a general psychology book search but there was just soo much.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Textbooks are published, edited, and republished on an annual basis. There are going to millions of books that pop up under a general search, and the more recent the publication, the more expensive it's going to be.

Depending on exactly what topic within psychology you're looking for, you could go a few different ways. Check amazon for books titled simply Psychology, read the table of contents and see if it's something that interests you. Check out a local library or www.openlibrary.org to get some ideas, do google searches on specific themes you're interested in. A lot of websites that focus on a specific avenue of psychology will also give you a list of recommended reading materials you could look into.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I'm a big fan of The Black Sun: The Alchemy of Art and Darkness, by Stanton Marlan.

A lot of occult practitioners also find Carl Jung interesting. He was heavily influenced by alchemical symbolism and evolution of the self.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Reading up on some basic anatomy and physiology would also be helpful. Many behaviors appear to be hardwired from birth. A book on ethics would probably help too, especially if it at least touches on cultural ethics. Things that I would find abhorrent, are business as usual in some cultures.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I know it's not really psychology, but I would recommend you read through some Osho.
Deejean

Post by Deejean »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will go look all these up and see if I can find any of them cheap.
I heard psych 101 is a good place to start as well :)
SilverWort

Post by SilverWort »

Sigmun Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents, was key for me and my worldview. Little book with great truths.
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Deejean, let me know if you are still looking for introduction to psych book! I have it but it was a little outdated (back in 2010)??? PM me! :)
Deejean

Post by Deejean »

shatteredsouls wrote:Deejean, let me know if you are still looking for introduction to psych book! I have it but it was a little outdated (back in 2010)??? PM me! :)
I did PM you :)

Return to “For Everyone”