Good advice about my going back to school?

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sakura Blossom

Good advice about my going back to school?

Post by Sakura Blossom »

This isn't really fun, but I figured I might as well ask if anyone might have some good suggestions! I really want to go back to school, however, I found out that college just... Wasn't for me. I couldn't handle all the pointless classes that weren't towards an associates degree. I didn't like that you go for a WHOLE two years just to get an associates degree when most of those classes don't even matter towards your major. I just did not have the drive to do it. I know they want you to have a well rounded education, but honestly, the first two years are just relearning what you learned in high school and I just can't get passed it. If I have to, I will just to get a degree, but I know others have ways of doing schooling and getting past this.

So, I was considering going to a tech school for early childhood. I saw mixed views, that people who get degrees here have a better time getting a job because they're more specialized in this area, but then I've heard that if you go and get a degree from a University, that they have a higher chance of hiring you. In my experience, I've found that employers are just too hard to read and it doesn't really matter either way: I've seen it go both ways.

So, to make a long story short: I really want to go back to school, but it's difficult for me to do so (especially with some learning disabilities and mental health struggles), but I'm not sure what I should do.

I would just love to hear suggestions. (: Thanks!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Vesca

Re: Good advice about my going back to school?

Post by Vesca »

First thing I would recommend doing is looking up the jobs you would be interested in getting into someday on a job listing site. You don't have to apply, the point is to check out what each employer is looking for in candidates. What kind of school, what type of program, how many years, how many years of experience, what skills they're looking for, etc...

From there, start looking at your options. If 99% of employers are looking for someone with a MA in child development, that's a reality you're going to have to take into consideration. If there are certain types of employers (babysitting companies?) that only require some 9 month certification course, maybe that would be more suited to your situation.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I suppose I should have mentioned. I'm not looking to go for more than a few years of schooling. Cannot do it. Haha. I do not have the dedication nor the motivation to go longer than that. Dx I will take what I can get within my field that I enjoy, that will not make me have to be in school for long as I know there are jobs out there that allow that. (: It's just a matter of finding some more options. Haha.

But thank you for the advice, I will keep looking. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Our state has a program for aides. It's six weeks and autism specific but schools need people who can supplement the teachers. If you want to work in that field call someone who does and ask if they will talk to you. We talk to students all the time in the probation office I work at. Find out if they have programs that are shorter or even online. Some places will hire you and pay to train you too. Have you asked about regents degree?
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I haven't, no, but I'm turning in an application to work as a substitute aide at my school (the one I went to as a kid). I'll definitely keep that one in mind, that sounds right up my alley! Thanks!

Return to “For Everyone”