Facebook

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Facebook

Post by Release.the.bats »

So, I just accepted my Grandma[mom's side] on Facebook.
She's a Christian minister, but she's also very open, she's even considered reincarnation before.
But, i'm still nervous about her finding out i'm pagan, who I worship and that I am pro choice.
Not nervous enough to pretend i'm not or to not list it on my facebook, since i'm not ashamed. I just don't want her to judge me as being awful.
*sigh*
:(
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

Way to go! No one, and I mean no one, outside of my intermediate family, therapist and online friends know I practice any sort of magic. I've not got a thing about my 'interests' on my facebook or myspace. I am so deep in the broom closet I'm coughing on dust, lol.

Congrats, and I hope it goes well.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Haha wow.
My mom and step dad know, my boyfriend knows, my friends know.
Most people who come into contact with me often know.
It's the extended family that I see once a year or so that don't know.
:?
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

She is open, perhaps she wouldn't mind that much....You said most people who know you know about your beliefs, if that is the case, why should it be any different with her? Although, I will say having a family member look down on you for who you are is rather disheartening...I know all too well. I advise you to excercise caution.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

It's just the family member looking down on me for it.
And not listening to me explain why it's not horrible, and then telling me i'm damned.
I don't normally care if people know, i'm in not 'in your face' about it though. I mean if she asks i'll tell her, but I don't want her to tell me how unhappy she is and start finding other ways to judge me as being horrible.
I.e. body modifications, my style etc. Just all around attacking me.
I have an aunt that tried that when I was 14, she kept telling my mom I was anorexic and needed therapy, that I was seriously disturbed. And she had no reason to think this other than trying to nit pick at me.
I haven't talked to her since, but it sucks more if it's your grandma, versus your aunt.
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

I don't know your Grandma, but she sounds a bit like how my parents are. Very faithful to their beliefs, but open-minded.

When they first noticed the chest of herbs, candles, oils, incense, daggers, stones, ect, they showed some initial concern; asking me what was going on and telling me again and again to be careful. Once they realized I wasn't chanting 'HAIL SATAN' in my room at midnight they kind of let it go. Now they just ignore it, and apart from getting a little nervous and hoverish when I'm at Sqecial's (Closest thing we have to a magic store locally) they just let me do what I want. My older sister is the only one who is still openly uneasy about it. (I get the impression that she is actually somewhat insecure about her own faith)

I now have about three 'alters' set up in the open and wear pentacles when I know I won't see someone who'll freak.

That was how it worked for me, but then again, my parents aren't minsters. Still...

-Good luck, again-
TaciRain
Banned Member

Post by TaciRain »

HonorRose wrote: Once they realized I wasn't chanting 'HAIL SATAN' in my room at midnight they kind of let it go.
i litterally lol'ed when i read that. that would be all my family would hear! they would swear that id said it.

i know what you mean about the whole religious family though Bats. my cousin (i call him uncle because hes a year younger than my mom) is a minister (good ol' southern baptist! lol) and hes pretty closed minded. his sister was excorcised at the age of 8 from what i understand. she supposedly was possessed.

my parents are really closed minded too. they found old love-emails from my ex girlfriend and were convinced i was "possessed by a lesbian demon". the only way i could get them to keep from sending me to a shrink. so i'm hiding with honorrose in the broomcloset. lol. i'm out of the real closet atleast. i didnt "officially" come out but everyone pretty much knows and if they dont they're in some serious denial. lol.

regardless i wish you the best of luck. i keep all the pagan stuff of my profile because very few people know about it. like my fiance and like 3 friends. thats it. lol. and of course everyone on this website! ^_^
oOKissedTheWitchesOo

Post by oOKissedTheWitchesOo »

thats what limited profiles are for ;o)

Or you can just hope she doesn't mind.

Well done to your grandmother though for using the computer and facebook and stuff. My dad has only recently realised that you can actually put photos on the internet (Amazing!) He couldn't use a computer if you offered him a million dollars!
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Thanks everyone.
It's weird, i'm nervous about her knowing.
But, I want her to know.
It's not something i'm ashamed of and it's a really big part of who I am.
So I guess now i'm just waiting to see if she makes a comment, be it negative or positive.
I'm kind of wondering though, if she takes it in good light [me being pagan] if she notices that my faith runs just as strong as hers. Almost in a hereditary way, she's a christian minister and I want to be a pagan high priestess.
Hmm...
*ponders*
Greek_Male_Witch

Re: Facebook

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

If she loves you she will accept you no matter how different your paths are, you both have one standard, Love, christianity and paganism and even other religions accept that Love is the most powerful of all, so don't worry, you are on the same side but not on the same path!
What Goes Around,Comes Around!

Return to “For Everyone”