my book

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!

Would you buy it?

Of course!
14%
Perhaps. I'd need to read an excerpt first.
79%
Nah, books are my thing.
7%

Total votes: 14

AzureImpaler

my book

Post by AzureImpaler »

So, I don't know if I ever explained, but I'm writing a book. it's a bit of a fantasy/historical fiction(in a stretch). I'm very proud of it, and I'd say it's around 8/10ths complete right now.

It's very New Agey, and has certain spiritual aspects to it that I'm sure you guys would like.

After I'm done, I'll have to edit and proofread and all that, but I have a question.

Would it be better to seek out a Publisher for stores? Or do the online approach. I know that certain ones are reliable online (I know a few authors, and one of my better author-friends uses one, and gets pretty good sales with it).

Also, if you care to know more, I'll oblige, but be warned, I am dead PARANOID about my work with capital everything. So I don't wanna say too much. :P
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Ooh Azure- how cool! I didn't know that, but I'm glad to hear it! :28:

So far as recommendations with publishers, etc.- I'd actually suggest you go with what you already know works. Getting published is hard enough, and then there's the matter of actually making a profit. Many authors are pressed into publishing their own work- which generally results in a loss of money, not a profit (unless the writer is really lucky and very good at publicizing).

With all that said and if you hadn't guessed already, I recommend that you use your friend's source first-- that publisher has already proven what they're capable of doing with a literary piece, so at least if you start there, you will have a realistic expectation for actual profit. Just don't sign any exclusivity contracts with the publisher, so you have flexibility to move over to a new publisher for the next of your collection's work, if you so choose. :wink:

Bright Blessings!
*M
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

The publishing world is one of the hardest fields to break into, and even harder to make profit in. Going through an actual publishing company and getting your book into stores where people can actually buy it is even harder.

Seeing as how you already know an online publisher, I say stick with the one you know. Read over anything you have to sign very carefully, like MoonStone said, because if your online career goes well, bookstores might be calling your name sometime soon. :D

When you do publish your work, be sure to let us all know. I, for one, would like to read it.
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

Thanks, Moonstone and Nightrose. That sounds like a smart and safer path. I will most certainly remember to let you guys know when I've gotten it ready. I do know that with the online publisher, that buyers can either get it virtually for their computer, or in an actual book. (which they obviously don't print unless it's requested by a buyer.) It's a world I'm particularly proud to have created. :D
For some reason I didn't even consider that I could shift to an in-store publisher from online. (assuming I do like you suggest, and watch what I sign of course :) )
Rifts
Banned Member

Post by Rifts »

I, too, am writing a book XD
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

I had a book of poetry and lyrics that I wanted to publish for posterity and I had no intention of tweaking the content to suit a publisher... so I used CreateSpace. It's an Amazon.com affiliate and they don't charge you anything except the wholesale cost for proof copies. I was really happy with them and I'll probably use them again.

You don't surrender any rights to them, so you can post your content online as well. Additionally, they'll add your book to Amazon.com for free.

In the meantime... best wishes with the project!
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

Thank you! Thanks very much to RuneGeek too. I'll most certainly look into that for publishing.

How does everyone feel about modern romance themes?
I'm going to keep my main project offline, because THAT novel I would kill to take to a normal publisher for "on the shelves" sales.

However, I am also working on a romance story that I had lined up next, and I believe it would be stellar for this type of publishing. I also kind of figure for it's type it would work better than my main project.
lol I'm bringing back the use of "stellar".
But yes, how would you guys feel about an "in the workplace" type of romance? It involves several people, many mixed feeling, vacation in tropical places, and tension. TENSION I SAY!
But seriously, I know it might sound a bit stereotypical, and there's only so unique you can make these things, but I really feel good about this story, I've got some great characters ready, and if you guys think it might be worth a look, I'd love to have you guys (who ARE interested) there to support me. :D
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

I just finished the last line of the whole thing (it's epilogue) , yesterday evening after a several hour long session to wrap up the novel. I'm going to enter the editing process now, and will ideally submit the book very soon.

I'll keep you guys posted. ^^

In the meantime, here's a little teaser promo I wrote just for you. :D (don't judge me too harshly, it's 3:00 AM, and I slept 4 hours last night. :\ )

Deep below, a society exists that the world above has no knowledge of. A world connected to the sea beyond imagination. A young man seeks to find the truth about his ancestors for himself, but finds a truth which he must decide to reveal, or remain untold; such a secret that could crack their veiled world's tranquility. When a sweet, reserved young woman meets him, and falls for him, she must determine her own fate, when destiny sends them apart. Will the tainted ruling Council of Elders hold power, or will providence mend a fractured leadership? All is revealed within this deep and telling chronicle.
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

Editing is done. Now, all I need is a piece of cover art, and I'll be good to go. :D
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

I finally finished everything today.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... us/8246840

There's a link to the page you can buy from. (if you so please.)

Also, I can search for a selection from one of the pages if you would be interested in hearing a bit from it as well. :D I'm hoping this works out, writing is my everything, and I simply hope it doesn't disappoint the readers.
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

Here's a short excerpt from a chapter of the novel.

“Nature, oh devoted Seer, does not defy Rahab’s will.” His voice retorted with accusation clearly on his mind. Prometheus moved to the Elder’s side, but some 5 feet away. “Tell me then. What is Rahab’s will?” The Elder turned from the window once again. He narrowed his eyes and took a few steps, creating an almost semi-circle around Prometheus. “WE are Rahab’s Will. We are the devoted and chosen, each gifted with something from Rahab to do his bidding. You of all people should remember that.” He spoke powerfully, speaking the last line with a sneer. Outside, the three young Atlanteans paced by, moving towards the gateway. Prometheus noticed this while facing the Council Elder.

“Listen to me then, Elder.” Prometheus implored. “You know what Rahab asked of his followers from the writings. We are to be as him. Be as the Sea. Remember that the Great Waterscape is open and free. Why should our people be restricted by coincidence?”

“Coincidence.” The Council Elder retorted mockingly. Prometheus hoping his attention would stay on him, as the travelers outside were still within viewing range.
“Coincidence… coincidence is NOT Leviathan and Dagon attacking our home within the same month! Coincidence is not the attack on the reef, while precious Phobos wants to discover our lost origins!” He snapped. The Elder paced near a table and adjusted the goblet and several trinkets, and jewels into a neater placement. He then looked from the table, to Prometheus, and back with almost amazed and false disbelief.

“Coincidence. Ha!”

An excerpt from Oceanus by G.M. Lewanski
Copyright G.M. Lewanski 2010

Return to “For Everyone”