Tourists / trash / Temple of the Earth challenge

Helping Mother Earth, Recycling, Picking up Litter.
T'a Nuk

Tourists / trash / Temple of the Earth challenge

Post by T'a Nuk »

Just a note to all who enjoy visiting our national outdoor spaces this summer. Welcome! Spread the word and example by PLEASE not throwing rubbish about or starting unnecessary fires. Remember that many of these places are sacred and must be treated thus. Would you throw your trash on the floor of a temple or church? While I am sure that none of the members of this forum would act in such a disrespectful manner, do not be afraid to call out those who do. If nothing else a good example is the best sermon.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tourists

Post by Firebird »

Thank you for putting this out there. Hopefully no one from this forum would do anything that resembled littering. It's one of the things that makes me crazy so I try to pick up trash where ever I go. I always have bags in my day pack.

In fact lets make this a challenge shall we TallOne?

Where ever you go...and especially in your National Parks, state parks and city parks ...Heck Everywhere!..pick up trash!
Bring a bag, pick up trash!
Chime in if your with us!
I promise to pick up trash!

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

When we visited Yellowstone last year, we saw a lot of people ignoring warning signs and getting way too close to geysers and hot pools.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

I accept your challenge Firebirdflys! Whenever I gather my secondary mission is trash picking! Snowcat, you present a valid point. In Yellowstone two people had trodden off the safe path to find themselves in hot pools. One was a 13 year old boy who was rescued, the other a 22 year old man who fell through the crust and died. I don't believe he was ever recovered. Last year tourists were responsible for huge fires in Glacier Park, the smoke ruined our summer here. On that tone, best to avoid wild animals as well. Though we may be blessed with a visit from them, best to maintain distance, they are not part of the 'show'. These places are not Disneyland.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

We were able to see a buffalo and an elk up close when both chose to walk close to our vehicle. We stayed safely inside and admired them. Last September, I took my grandkids up to Grand Lake for the day. We were fortunate enough to see a moose family on our way back. Again, we watched from a safe distance.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
shatteredsouls

Re: Tourists / trash / Temple of the Earth challenge

Post by shatteredsouls »

Rubbish, yes, something that irks me. I make it a point to ensure rubbish goes into the bin but I've seen lots of rubbish after huge events. Why do those adults not clean after themselves...? Except for those who dropped their rubbish and aren't aware. Is it so difficult to hold onto your rubbish till you reach a trash bin?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Got a big hike today, everyone will have their own trash bags as we travel along the trail, any garbage will have to go!
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

That would be a good idea even for walks around the neighborhood. Or even for a walk around my front yard. I get a lot of trash blowing into my yard. And of course that means some crazy drifting when it snows.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

There's a river near where I live. A lot of the college kids just set fires along the edge and don't even bother to put them out, let alone pick up their garbage.
It's a big job, but the river is special to me. Let's put down out wands and pick up our shovels, shall we?
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I've been doing this for years !!!
I pick it up wherever I am...
I'm glad I'm not the only one !
Back when I lived in Oakhurst, Ca
(South of Yosemite NP)
In the winter time when the
water level was down, Mom and I
would go and pick up all the glass
shards and pieces we could find.
Then we found out later the local
recycler in the area would take the
broken glass as long as its not covered
with dirt.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

Everything is on fire here now. We literally cannot see across the street for all the smoke and ash, noon looks like early evening, Glacier park is being evacuated and we have lost millions of acres of ancient forest all around Flathead lake. Houses can be rebuilt, these woods cannot. I certainly hope that this year stands a a lesson in our duty as stewards of this beautiful planet, as much of this could have been prevented through responsible forest management with conservation being the priority over budget. I point my finger firmly at those we entrusted with this sacred task as negligent and selfish.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

A few years ago we camped in the same campground as the forest management crew. They had several of the group sites. It was interesting talking to these folks (men and women) who signed on from all over the place, some of them found this job on Craigs list. Some had done it for years. Many were college students with a few weeks on their hands between semesters. Looked like real fun hard work. And they got to be in the out of doors living under the stars for these jobs that lasted for various lengths of time, at many different locations. They were doing the Inyo National forest and environs, Cut and burn.
Bb, FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Tyrande

Post by Tyrande »

I'd love to be a part of this! I live by a beautiful thin nature trail between 2 rivers. A small flowing river to the right side and the faster Great Delaware to the left. I go there often and usually see litter/doggie bags on it. It makes me so upset that some people can treat the world as their garbage bin.
Protecting our Earth is important.
♡ ♡ ♡ Protect the Ocean, Protect the Land ♡ ♡ ♡
❃ Plant a tree ❃

Return to “Environmentalism”