Over Genderization in Wicca?

Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender discussion and questions.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Over Genderization in Wicca?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Oura Simone wrote:^ Thanks, that's good to know!

It's just that as a queer person, the constant man-woman-balance thing doesn't seem so close to my lived experience. I mean, I can see how it may be super-relevant for straight folks...

So far, it's not so much that I feel actively discriminated against, but more that some theories seem to be written from a perspective that may not be particularly relevant to me personally.

I'm not saying gender doesn't matter. I feel it matters a great deal. But I think I might need a different take on it than "man-woman-balance".

But while I'm currently researching Wicca, I'm not even sure yet whether I'm into it or maybe prefer another form of witchcraft, so...
I am sorry for the double post. But Jason Mankey put out a good article on Wicca and mentioned that some covens may acknowledge only one deity or many, not emphasized by gender. He also speaks of the many beliefs Wiccans have and how it is only based in practice.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/panmankey/ ... ialnetwork
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Symbolic masculine / feminine energy does not translate well to literal male / literal female. Feminine and masculine are coorespodences; they correspond to a thing but are not to be mistaken for the thing in itself.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

As far as I know, Wicca doesen't have really strong rules. You can choose what feels right for you to do: play the role of the man or the woman, if you really have to chiose one, or you can kust adapt everything to your needs. Nobody can say that you aare doing it wrong, because there is now way of doing it right either. As long as it follows the wiccan principles and makes you feel comfortable, I'd say that is the right way to do it.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
astrowitch

Post by astrowitch »

Wow, I haven't been on this site in a long while, but this is still really relevant to me. Funny that right when I'm looking into worshipping Hermaphroditus, this is the first and newest thread on my panel!! I'll take that as a sign to learn into their guidance.
I've come a long way in the last two years. I now ID as a transmale, but I still have really feminine qualities to me that I like to embrace. And looking back on this thread has been really helpful!!
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

astrowitch wrote:Wow, I haven't been on this site in a long while, but this is still really relevant to me. Funny that right when I'm looking into worshipping Hermaphroditus, this is the first and newest thread on my panel!! I'll take that as a sign to learn into their guidance.
I've come a long way in the last two years. I now ID as a transmale, but I still have really feminine qualities to me that I like to embrace. And looking back on this thread has been really helpful!!

Check this out: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardhanarishvara

I'd also suggest looking up Shaktism and Krishna. (Mohini aspect)
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “LGBT Chat and Concerns”