handfasting question...

Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender discussion and questions.
valerian moon

handfasting question...

Post by valerian moon »

in florida there are certain areas where gay unions are more legally accepted than in other parts.
let's say in my area they are not accepted at all, no questions asked.
would a handfasting make that any different? I mean, I heard about this one guy who was allowed to get married in a state where gay marriage was outlawed because he was a native American, and I guess I thought that applied here too? or maybe it doesn't.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: handfasting question...

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Moon Raver, by certain areas of Florida, do you mean some counties legally accept same sex marriages while others do not?

A handfasting is simply a ceremony that anyone can do. Whether or not the state will issue a marriage license for said handfasting and recognize the union as a legal marriage is another matter. The case you mentioned about the Native American man is likely because Native American tribes can operate under tribal law, which (if I'm not mistaken) is essentially treated as an entirely different legal system from the US legal system (more or less its own sovereign nation). I don't think that would make any difference to handfasting, or to marriage licenses. At any rate, it is likely that gay marriage will be legal throughout the country in the next several years (hopefully, anyhow).

I hope that made sense, and that I'm not entirely wrong about Native American law! Were you looking into a future handfasting?
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Yeah. My girlfriend is in a group home in north Carolina right now, but when she gets out and I get legally emancipated we would be able to get married if we move to like... California. She gets out in a year so we have time to plan out a nice ceremony.
and what I meant is that in some counties civil unions hold more legal rights than in others.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

That sounds really nice! I know there have been threads on this forum about planning a handfasting; I hope they're helpful to you!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “LGBT Chat and Concerns”