Gyeongju, South Korea

If you love to travel, we'd love to hear about the places you've been. Mountains, oceans, rivers, deserts, Stonehedge, Red Rocks, Grand Canyon... recommend your favorite travel destination and post your pictures!
shatteredsouls

Gyeongju, South Korea

Post by shatteredsouls »

Gyeongju is one of the remaining culture-rich cities in South Korea. I went there for a day, joined their local day tour but sadly, they cater to Koreans (from other cities) so yes, I went along without understanding much of what the guide says. :lol: I was the only foreigner too.

I went there in late November, 2014, it was autumn then. Autumn's beautiful there. I'll post some pictures of the attractions but I didn't take a lot of pictures so...enjoy!
Attachments
rsz_120141127_080704.jpg
shatteredsouls

Re: Gyeongju, South Korea

Post by shatteredsouls »

Bulguksa Temple (one of the UNESCO world heritage site)

Bulguksa Temple was built in 528 during the Silla Kingdom, in the 15th year of King Beop-Heung's reign (514-540). Bulguksa Temple underwent numerous renovations from the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) to the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), but was burned down during the Imjin War (Japanese Invasions, 1592-1598).

Reconstruction started again in 1604 during the 37th year of King Seon-jo’s reign (Joseon Dynasty) and was renovated about 40 times until 1805 (during the reign of King Sun-Jo, 1790-1834). After this time, the temple suffered serious damage and was often the target of robbers.

In 1969, the Bulguksa Temple Restoration Committee was formed and in 1973, Mulseoljeon, Gwaneumjeon, Birojeon, Gyeongru, and Hoerang (all of which had previously been demolished) were rebuilt. Other old or broken sites (such as Daeungjeon, Geungnakjeon, Beomyeongnu and Jahamun) were repaired.

Even today, Bulguksa Temple is home to many important cultural relics such as Dabotap Pagoda (National Treasure No. 20), Seokgatap Pagoda (National Treasure No. 21), Yeonhwa-gyo & Chilbo-gyo Bridges (National Treasure No. 22), Cheongun-gyo & Baegun-gyo Bridges (National Treasure No. 23), Seokguram Grotto (National Treasure No. 24), the Golden Seated Vairocana Buddhist Figure (National Treasure No. 26), the Golden Seated Amita Figure (National Treasure No. 27), and Saritap Pagoda (Treasure No. 61).
Many tourist groups there as well
Many tourist groups there as well
You get to see the exterior of the building
You get to see the exterior of the building
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

At Bulguksa Temple

I'm not skilled at this but why does my photo rotate itself when uploaded here??
Attachments
Beautiful pond at the temple premise!
Beautiful pond at the temple premise!
20141127_095231.jpg
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Bunhwangsa Temple (분황사)

Bunhwangsa Temple was built during the year 634 and the third year of Queen Seondeok's rule, the 27th ruler of the Silla Kingdom. As the temple has a long history, it once held many historical relics but most of them have been lost due to the Mongolian invasion and the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592. The remaining relics are Mojeon Stone Tower, Hwajaengguksabibu (A memorial stone placed in memory of Wonhyo, a renown Buddhist priest from the Silla Kingdom), Samnyongbyeoneojeong (A well in which the three dragons that protected Silla were believed to reside), and Danggan Pillars.
Attachments
Mojeon Stone Tower, the 30th National Treasure reaching a height of 9.3 meters, was built using bricks carved from andesite rocks. While the tower is presumed to be originally a 7-9 story structure, only 3 stories remain today.
Mojeon Stone Tower, the 30th National Treasure reaching a height of 9.3 meters, was built using bricks carved from andesite rocks. While the tower is presumed to be originally a 7-9 story structure, only 3 stories remain today.
rsz_20141127_120848.jpg
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

A well in which the three dragons that protected Silla were believed to reside.
A well in which the three dragons that protected Silla were believed to reside.
Cheomseongdae Observatory (경주 첨성대)

Cheomseongdae is the oldest existing astronomical observatory in Asia.
Constructed during the reign of Queen Seon-deok (632-647), it was used for observing the stars in order to forecast the weather. This stone structure is a beautiful combination of straight lines and curves, and was designated as National Treasure No.31 on December 20th, 1962.
rsz_20141127_123732.jpg
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Daereungwon Tomb Complex (Cheonmachong Tomb) (대릉원 - 천마총)

Large ancient tombs of kings and nobles of the Silla Kingdom can be seen around Gyeongju at the Daereungwon Tomb Complex (Cheonmachong Tomb). You can also view the inside of Cheonmachong. There are 11,526 remains and royal crowns inside the tomb, demonstrating the lavish lifestyle of the king.

I didn't take any photos inside the Cheonmachong tomb out of respect. I remember lots of jewelries etc but I wasn't too interested in those :evilwitch:
Cheonmachong Tomb, probably not as huge as you imagine
Cheonmachong Tomb, probably not as huge as you imagine
The surrounding's really nice due to the trees
The surrounding's really nice due to the trees
Mounds of soil and rocks are piled high over the ensconced coffin or corpse within, over the centuries these burial sites attain a smooth and vivid mantle of green grass.
rsz_20141127_135915.jpg
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Last attraction.....

Gyeongju Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond !

Gyeongju Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond were the secondary palace site which was used for the palace of the Crown Prince along with other subsidiary buildings and it also was the banquet room for important national event and important visitors. After the fall of Silla, followed by Goryeo and Joseon, the site was named ‘Anapji’ instead. Later, a fragment from a pottery which the carved letter “Wolji” was found in 1980s and it revealed that Wolji contained the meaning of the pond reflecting moon. Thus, the name ‘Anapji’ was changed to the current - ‘Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond.’
Attachments
This is an overview model of the whole place
This is an overview model of the whole place
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Truly a beautiful historical site!
Truly a beautiful historical site!
I wish I had more time to sit around this place but I can't afford to miss the tour bus
I wish I had more time to sit around this place but I can't afford to miss the tour bus
I managed to walk around the park in a fast pace when I realise time is running out. I spent too much time overlooking the wolji pond. Will be a great venue for picnics I think.
I managed to walk around the park in a fast pace when I realise time is running out. I spent too much time overlooking the wolji pond. Will be a great venue for picnics I think.
That's all. I visited a few other places in South Korea but they're not exactly outstanding...
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Oh, I managed to visit Gyeongju National museum and this gold crown belongs to the Silla kingdom. It looks nice (formal) but heavy...
Attachments
rsz_20141127_152642.jpg

Return to “Travel”