2 Canyons and a Wedding

If you love to travel, we'd love to hear about the places you've been. Mountains, oceans, rivers, deserts, Stonehedge, Red Rocks, Grand Canyon... recommend your favorite travel destination and post your pictures!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 Canyons and a Wedding

Post by Firebird »

Empathy at Desert View

One of the many informative plaques at this vewpoint was a historical marker. The very first of its kind marking an air disaster. It was placed in 2014 commemorating a particular mid-air crash over the Grand Canyon in 1956. I was able to read over the plaque trying not to let the impact and magnitude of such a tragedy sink into my person. The plaque pointed out where approximately the two-planes impacted the canyon. In my mind the one thing that I found of great interest is that this tragedy changed the way avation communication would be addressed from that day on. I was ok with it. It happened a very long time ago, I said a silent prayer and backed up to photo the plaque, I sensed a woman had come up upon my right side and was reading the plaque. All at once she burst into tears, and that was all it took for me to respond in kind. Instantaneously my heart broke and my eyes welled with water, I turned to her and placed my hand on her shoulder, "it's ok " I sniffled.
A young woman came up and put an arm around her as they walked over to view the canyon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Gr ... _collision

I asked Mom if she remembered about this crash, she responded "oh yes, it was the worst of its time"
I had to place my hands on the ground right away after that, there was some great rocks too with crystalline substances within. I drained the heavy energy away. That empathic moment had the potential to suck me down for the day and we still had the other end of the canyon to check out, and the drive to ...hopefully ...Laughlin Nv.

My father was a pilot and we have flown over the Grand Canyon on several occasions, Mom never did like that,
well she didn't really like that little plane at all... But I loved it!

After a bit more perusing of the exhibits one which really was quite interesting,a reflective mirror that was a replica of the original which, was I understood, had been made with polished black onyx used to view the canyon without glare, sort of like a polarized lens.
They are called Claude glass and is essentially a black skrying mirror!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qRfn8N9Iyg
There were 3 of these big black glass panels inside the Tower building and some up on the viewing deck.
(the deck which can be seen in pic 2 under "the tower")
I tried to photo though one:
I photo the black glass
I photo the black glass
Boy would I love to have one of these in my witches tool box!

We drive to the main hub next.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

We will be stopping at the Grand Canyon on our way back from Anaheim. I need to check that out if I have time.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

ha! I never did finish this story, wonder if I can remember the outcome other than we obviously made it home :lol:
What about you Snow? Did you get to stop?

I'll look for the pics there maybe only a couple left anyway.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

We didn't get to stop there. We ended up visiting Meteor Crater though. The Grand Canyon will have to wait for another trip.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Travel”