Magic Places

If you love to travel, we'd love to hear about the places you've been. Mountains, oceans, rivers, deserts, Stonehedge, Red Rocks, Grand Canyon... recommend your favorite travel destination and post your pictures!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Magic Places

Post by SpiritTalker »

We have Sleeping Bear Dunes here in Michigan, complete with dune buggy tours. Also Castle Rock. These are natural formations that aquired legends over time. And after the "Close Encounters" movie I visited the Devil's Tower national park where scenes were filmed. I bought the obligatory Tshirt. No sightings.

There is the little known area of Bad Axe, Michigan where the setting for the "Cat Who..." mystery book series is set. My sister and I spent a day locating various episodes, and even found a Siamese cat named Koko at a tiny, way off the beaten track general store. The shop keeper asked how we knew the cat's name, and she had never heard of author Lilian Jackson Braun. We never got to try Squnk Water though.

I took a cave tour in Kentucky one vacation. I hit it in the off season and had a private tour, so i had the place to myself and the tour guide, and a gnome with a wicked sense of humor. The guide had turned a corner on ahead, and the gnome ran across my path, then stopped and looked back at me with a DOH look, mimicking my stunned expression. That was a magical moment.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Magic Places

Post by SnowCat »

My daughter and I camped at Devil's Tower years ago. Seeing back lit by the sunrise was pretty incredible. The owl that sat outside the tent hooting all night, not so much.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Travel”