Sweat Lodge experience

Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Sweat Lodge experience

Post by Release.the.bats »

Who here has been to a sweat lodge? If you have, would you like to share your experience? Did you do anything special beforehand? What would you suggest I do? I read you should fast and or not ingest caffeine or coffee. Should I bring someone with me?
Any other tips?
I plan on trying one soon. I found one in Chicago,IL which is about 3-4hours away from me. So sometime in the near future while i'm up there, I want to go check it out.
Here it is:
http://www.chicagosweatlodge.com/index.html
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

P.s. I know it isn't the greatest sweat lodge, since it's not native american. But it's the only one I could find nearby. If you have a place you know of in Illinois, feel free to tell me.
:D
presentcharisma

Re: Sweat Lodge experience

Post by presentcharisma »

my husband attends sweat lodges here in wisconsin. He plans to take me to my first one this spring.
Bring a gift for the one who pours the lodge. (sage, fruit, book, whatever)
Fasting ... eh I don't know about that. But I will suggest drink LOTS of water the days prior. Do share your experience. Each lodge is unique due to the energies each person brings. Wonderful things happen out of those lodges. Just don't think about any of the people or try to identify with what you do. Just experience it.
It is not a good idea to bring a friend. There are only so many spots in the lodge. Traditionally each person must personally ask the pourer to come.
I AM
Purewitch22

Post by Purewitch22 »

I wanted to try one...NO luck finding one!
Blessed Be!
If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were
supposed to be bringing." — Julie Cuccia Watts

“When nothing is sure, everything is possible.” —
Margaret Drabble

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, /
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” — William
Shakespeare
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all
the difference." — Robert Frost
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

What exactly are sweat lodges ?
I had a look at the website and as far as I can see it's pretty much a sauna
where does the spirituality come in ?
xx
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

A sweat lodge is not easily described, and if you go to one with ideas of what it is, it could likely ruin it.
But All I can say is that the heat and the drummig are sooo intense that you don't think, its like a forced meditation as my husband described it.
The guy who had trouble with his were doing them on a large scale and doing them for profit not for spiritual practice. They had WAY too many people and he used the wrong kind of plastic over his lodge and it caused a chemical poisining. The guy was charging 1000's of dollars for the lodges. They are not supposed to be a charge, the one my husband goes to requires a donation (of your choice) for the tribes that are impoverished but thats it.
I AM
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

that sounds really good - I might try to find one next time I'm in the US
I like the phrase 'forced meditation' lol - It reminds me of how I felt when I went for a float
they played native american music in them too actually, I'm wondering if that was also based on the sweat lodge
xx
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

I have done a traditional sauna experience. Not quite a sweat lodge, but similar. It was when I visited Finland half a year ago. It was a traditional experience, complete with snow bathing, vihta whipping (lightly scouring your own flesh with a birch branch), and a bracing col;d-water swim afterward. The cold actually felt good after the intense heat of the sauna.

It was very uplifting. At first, the discomfort was intense but then I sort of began to float above it. It was an unreal experience, almost unnatural. I felt that I was staring down at my body. The heat was wafting up in waves, the steam billowing, time running in fits and starts. It was the greatest meditation experience of my life.
OldSoul7

Post by OldSoul7 »

I've never been to a sweat lodge before. There is one in Chicago so I may try it, but it's not an authentic Native American one. I am a little nervous to go into one because I will be worried I will suffocate or something lol!

-Elle

Return to “Faeries, Nature Spirits, and Plant Consciousness”