Landvættir - Land Wights

Holdasown

Landvættir - Land Wights

Post by Holdasown »

Or Land Wights. These are spirits of the land and home in Norse/Germanic practice. You property has them even if just a small yard. Some cities and natural land masses have them too. Like a forest, big old tree, mountain or river. I honor my wights at least once a week with milk and honey (together) and bread with honey. Sometimes I put out other things just make sure it's ok if an animal would take it. They help keep the land fertile and keep it safe while your gone.
seidkonacat

Re: Landvættir - Land Wights

Post by seidkonacat »

OMG, a post about landvaettir! :3

I love the term "land-wight." The word "wight" (as opposed to "vaett" in Old Norse) was originally coined with J.R.R. Tolkien. It means the same as the original but he was the first to...well..."Anglicize" the term. But he was a language expert, so that's to be expected.

Do you ever go someplace and feel a certain atmosphere? A certain way of looking at things? That's the land-wight. The spirit of the place. Land-wights are some of the most willing-to-engage-with-humanity spirits that I have ever come across. They exist in everything from waterfalls to fields, to shops, to plains, to state parks, to rock formations, to forests, to mountains, to houses. As a witch, you could do much worse than to try and communicate with them. They have very old knowledge.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I sort of feel bad. I've live in my apartment since December and its only the last few weeks that I have started to honor my land wights daily again. The reason I feel bad is that after we visited the place I prayed to the spirits of the land that the apartment go to the right people at the right time. Two days later we get a call and the place is ours. So the land wights here gave us the place. They are the ones I asked to make sure that the right people get the apartment. Yes I wanted it, but I wanted the right people to have it too. Sometimes you can want a place but its not right for you. They answered the prayer.

So I set up an altar for my land wights as well as the spirit of the hearth and home. I believe that they can be the same but they can also be separate beings. They do the same jobs. One is specialized specifically to the home aspect of the land and the other is the land itself. I consider them to both be land wights though. Now I say a daily prayer in the morningMy hearth and home morning prayer and in the eveningEveneing prayer to the hearth and home spirits.

I have given them alchohol offerings before as well.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh my gosh, Holda! I think you might have very well found the word I saw in my dream, that I couldn't remember that started with an L! This looks SO FAMILIAR. I have something to look into now, thank you so much!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Return to “Faeries, Nature Spirits, and Plant Consciousness”