plant for my dorm

emmi116

plant for my dorm

Post by emmi116 »

i'm heading off to college in about a month or so and i would like to bring a plant with me to stay with me in my dorm room. can anyone suggest what sort of plant to bring? it must be small, for the dorms have rules and regulations. im thinking of getting seeds and starting them here at home so they can travel with me and then adjust to their new home with me. i really don't know much about plants and their effects. i'd like to bring a plant that has good effects such as calming, alertness, good luck...etc.

should i combine plants, like lavender for relaxing and let's say mint, for alertness?

any suggestions are appreciated!

thank you!
love always,
emmi
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

First of all, I recommend getting hardy plants that do not require full sunlight. No matter where you are in a dorm, it is very unlikely you'll get sunlight the whole day, it's more likely you'll only get direct sunlight for half a day, if that.

Second, I recommend getting plants that have already started instead of seeds. College is a very busy time, and plants can easily get ignored while you worry about classes, tests, etc. Seeds need attention every single day. Other plants, well, if you forget them for a little while, they'll bounce back.

I'll do some thinking about good plants for this and get back to you on my recommendations.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Cacti are easy.... Vfly traps are fun.
emmi116

Post by emmi116 »

thanks but no cacti....the thorns make it bad feng shui.
love always,
emmi
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

emmi116 wrote:thanks but no cacti....the thorns make it bad feng shui.
A lot do not even have thorns... Lets see, also Aloe plants are usefull.
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

Well, I did some more research and consulted my feng-shui books, and can tell you that whatever plant you choose should have rounded leaves, definitely not anything spiky like a cactus. The round shape attracts positive energy, whereas the spiky thorns of the cactus cause energy to flow right out, draining a room. Also, plants that flower are good choices, as they bring more energy in as they blossom. Upkeep, however, is essential. Dead flowers and stems should be cut immediately, as they drain energy.

I think lavender and mint are both good choices. Another to consider might be a jade plant, which is supposed to bring luck and wealth, especially when placed in the back left corner of the room (when looking in the door).

I've been studying feng-shui lately, and though I am by no means an expert, if you had any other questions I would try to help.
emmi116

Post by emmi116 »

thank you guys for your advice!
love always,
emmi
)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

:)

Post by )(Apollo the Good)( »

Bamboo! My friend used to have a cute little bamboo plant in her dorm room that always produced such positive energy (as would any living plant, I assume).
garbari

Re: plant for my dorm

Post by garbari »

If your dorm room has available light from the window, that's a great place to start. Look for small, indestructible plants that can sit on your windowsill and grow in direct or indirect sunlight. Cacti, jade and aloe plants are pretty simple to care for. They require little water and grow slowly enough to stay small for your windowsill.

nd for flower check this amazing site.
Silk Flowers
lynfr7

Re: plant for my dorm

Post by lynfr7 »

violet

Return to “Faeries, Nature Spirits, and Plant Consciousness”