Harvesting Thyme

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Hazel Moon

Harvesting Thyme

Post by Hazel Moon »

I think the majority of us have, at one time or another, struggled with removing leaves from thyme plants. The leaves are tiny, and the entire process is so tedious that I often joke about it with my mate, calling the whole thing "thyme consuming".

Currently, I have some thyme in my garden that is ready to be harvested. I'm eager to collect the herbs, but I would like to know what method works best for removing those stubborn leaves.

Some have suggested using a fork, saying that I should put a sprig of thyme between the tines on a fork and peel the leaves off. This method doesn't really work for me. Someone else said to thread one piece at a time through a pasta measuring device, or even a colander, then collect the leaves that fall off. And while that does sound like a better idea, I imagine it would take forever doing it one strand at a time.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm all ears. :)
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Harvesting Thyme

Post by Firebird »

Strip the leaves off backwards, Like from the tip towards the end that goes in the ground, Gravy! They come off very easily. And yea, it will take some "thyme"! Think of it as Thyme for meditation!
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

How did the harvest go?
I have bunches of it this year I'm going to let it dry first then strip the leaves or just crumble it.
How you doing since all the fires of 2020?
bb FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

I take whole branches, dry them and then strip them backwards.

Return to “Gardening”