In need of some knowledge

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Ianlyles

In need of some knowledge

Post by Ianlyles »

So, I am not the best with plants. Only very simple ones like tomatoes. But I wanted to grow a lot of herbs and don't know where to start and with the season ending some recommendations. What types should I grow and any tips? Preferably things I can grow in containers. Thank you for the future replies!
barker

Re: In need of some knowledge

Post by barker »

Chili is human at anger.
Mint is human at judgement.

Two that i am thinking about getting.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Kinda depends on your indoor lighting. Many herbs need warmth & 6 hours sun & only slightly moist soil. A roughly 1-part sand, 2-parts peat moss & 1-part potting soil mix has worked for me for basil, rosemary, sage, thyme for indoors on a south facing windowsill. Water catching saucers underneath the pots is a must to protect the sill. Starter plants come ready to go. I've not succeeded with seeds in doors where I am in Michigan; winter windowsills aren't warm enough for sprouting.

I know geraniums can be potted before ground frost & over-wintered indoors. In the pot let them dry & die back. Put a paper bag over the pot to keep out light, or better yet, set them in the dark where they won't freeze. Come spring, at end of frost, trim off the dead stuff & moisten the soil in the pot. The geranium will restart from the old root as long as it didn't freeze. Then plant it back in the garden when it's 3-4 inches tall with leaves. They last several years doing this.
Ianlyles

Post by Ianlyles »

SpiritTalker wrote:Kinda depends on your indoor lighting. Many herbs need warmth & 6 hours sun & only slightly moist soil. A roughly 1-part sand, 2-parts peat moss & 1-part potting soil mix has worked for me for basil, rosemary, sage, thyme for indoors on a south facing windowsill. Water catching saucers underneath the pots is a must to protect the sill. Starter plants come ready to go. I've not succeeded with seeds in doors where I am in Michigan; winter windowsills aren't warm enough for sprouting.

I know geraniums can be potted before ground frost & over-wintered indoors. In the pot let them dry & die back. Put a paper bag over the pot to keep out light, or better yet, set them in the dark where they won't freeze. Come spring, at end of frost, trim off the dead stuff & moisten the soil in the pot. The geranium will restart from the old root as long as it didn't freeze. Then plant it back in the garden when it's 3-4 inches tall with leaves. They last several years doing this.
Thank you so much for all of this!!
Last edited by Firebird on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tapatalk signature advertisement. please remove
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I have a few in my window. My mint is taking over the kitchen currently. I live in michigan and our winters are brutal. So the fresh herbs I keep, I keep indoors.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I planted oregano one year. It took over everywhere & spread beyond the garden. The yard smelled like lasagna for the summer. Another time I planted small squash & got massive leaves on giant ropes of vines, with itty bitty squash. Live & learn. Now tomatoes really grew for me. One year I had 3 different types of plants (Better Big Boy was great). I'd just dug up a 4-ft square of the lawn & added scoops of peat moss. I bought the plants & stuck them in the ground. I had to cage BBB to support the fruit. The others (Roma & cherry) were staked.

Sigh. I really miss it.

Return to “Gardening”